Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmhunka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2009, 06:33 PM
    Recessed lights needed
    I am wanting to install recessed lighting in my kitchen. I am wondering how many lights that I need to install. My kitchen cabinets go all the way to the ceiling. My ceilig space between the upper cabinets is seven feet and my kitchen is fifteen feet long. My ceiling height is eight feet high.

How many lights do I need to install? How far from the upper cabinets do they need to be installed?

Thanks,

Mark
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Sep 24, 2009, 06:42 PM
    The best advice I can give is to ask your wife how many lights she wants, and where she wants them!
    There is no hard and fast rule. You may want to look at other installations, or ask an architect
    medic-dan Posts: 321, Reputation: 23

Sep 24, 2009, 08:04 PM

I agree with ohb0b on this one.

A few years ago my parents redid their kitchen. Lighting was the biggest issue. I bought one of the recessed fixtures that my mom liked and wired it onto an extension cord so I could move it around the kitchen so she'd get a good idea as to the light pattern. Sure, it was maybe 12" lower than when installed but you get the idea. Recessed lighting is nice but you do tend to have dark spots between the lights if you space them too far apart.

One or two centered over the sink is a good idea for task lighting. You may want one centered in front of the fridge and maybe over the stove. If you have an island or anything you'd want to make sure that is well illuminated as well.

But really, unless you're the cook, ask your wife.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recessed lights flicker [ 4 Answers ]

I recently installed 5 recessed lights in my house. I used an exisitng power run. I have two breakers that are identified as "lights". I am definitely connected to one of the circuits. The new lights flicker when the initially come one... pretty significantly... and not just a couple of...

Recessed lights [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently extended wiring from an outlet to 6 recessed ceiling lights in the kitchen. The lights are 50W halogen. The lights are controlled by a dimmer switch. I have double-checked to make sure the insulation is not within 3" of any of the lights. The lights/dimmer worked fine for about...

Recessed Lights [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to add some recessed lights above our couch. How to connect power to them when there is a second floor?

Recessed lights [ 3 Answers ]

I am putting can lights in the basement. I can't decied whether or not to put drywall on the ceiling or this new drop ceiling its made of pvc it attaches right to the floor joists and the tiles clip in. you lose 1 inch. The confusing part is how do I put the can in to make up that inch or will the...

Recessed lights [ 7 Answers ]

Good morning everyone. Started project installing 4 recessed lights in family room. I am running a dedicated circuit just for the lights, composed of 12/2 with ground 20amp breaker And 1 switch My question is the switch is a single pole rated at 15 amp, is this switch safe and OK to use,...

View more questions Search