Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kcroach Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Sep 24, 2009, 12:27 PM
    How does the ground wire enter a service panel
    I have a 200 amp service panel, (culter & hammer, BR type, 30 spaces) and need to make sure that the ground wire is connected properly. I have a ground wire connected to metal water pipes, and a ground rod. The wire is continuous and protected from damage by framing. How should the wire enter the service panel and be protected from damage? There are knockouts for nm cable clamps, conduit connectors and small knockout tabs (that appear to be designed to be just large enough for 4 or 6 AWG ground wire). So what type of hole can/should the ground wire come through to enter the service panel and how should it be secured so it it is not damaged entering the service panel? If it is supposed to enter through the small tabs, and the wire does not fit (I am using insulated wire and may over size it) can it come through one of the 1/2" knockouts and be clamped? Local codes do not dictate that the ground be protected by conduit while running through framing so I would rather avoid the hassle. Thanks for any info.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 24, 2009, 12:44 PM

Usually there is a little hole made for just that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting neutral wire to ground wire in breaker panel [ 3 Answers ]

Can the neutral wire be connected to the ground wire at the neutral bar in the breaker panel?

Ground/Neutral Bus in Main Service Panel - Is there a Difference? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm preparing to provide new wiring to a sizable addition to a log home. Prior to beginning the new work I mapped my existing circuits thinking it best to correct any potential overloads in the existing panel/circuit design before introducing any new problems on my own. Decided to make a few...

Connecting 3 wire to a 4 wire service panel [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to connect from a 3 wire system at the utility pole to a 4 wire service panel inside a new mobile home. I called an electrician for some advice and was told that I needed to drive an 8ft ground stake and attach a solid copper wire from the stake to the ground bar in the panel. Then I...

Sub-Panel Ground, Wire or Rod [ 9 Answers ]

I running a 70 amp sub-panel to a shop that does have telephone connections to the main house. I know that I need to isolate the ground from the neutral at the sub-panel. I am planning on running 3, #4 wires to the sub-panel and I also have an 8' ground rod, which I will connect as well. My...

Sub Panel, Ground Wire, and a Dryer [ 16 Answers ]

So I'm planning to put in a 100 amp sub panel that'll have a clothes dryer running off it. Code here says... "A circuit of 30 amperes is required for an electric clothes dryer (section 220.18). Three insulated #10 wires (plus one #10 ground wire) are required to feed it, and a properly...

View more questions Search