Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Verinsess Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2006, 04:09 PM
    Debts of French and Indian war
    Why should the colonists pay the debts of french and indian war?
    *multiple answers please*
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Oct 30, 2006, 08:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Verinsess
    why should the colonists pay the debts of french and indian war?
    *multiple answers please*
    Actually wasn't the French and Indian War a war betweein France and England ? The French lost and England took over east of the Mississippi ? Therefore, the colonists inherited or assumed those debts ? I may be way off base, are there any PhD's in history here that can help ?
    nightal1031 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 06:19 PM
    After the French and Indian war, England began taxing the colonists because they claimed that the colonists, as Britons, should incur some of the debts as well. The British were paying taxes, but up until the end of the war, the colonists were incurring little to no taxes at all. The British began taxing the colonists to help with some of the immense war debt, and the colonists were angry because they had no representation in Parliament; therefore, the British should not be taxing them for things they could not vote for. The British disagreed; since the colonists reaped from the benefits of the French and Indian war by being able to keep their land, and they were living on British soil, they should pay some of the taxes. They kept fighting, the fighting led to skirmishes that sparked the American Revolution.
    I can't think of multiple reasons they would have to pay, maybe this website would help with any other reason. Its been awhile since I studied the French and Indian war.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

French Citizenship from French Mother [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'm looking into getting French citizenship for myself. Born here in US, 24 years old, my mother moved here from France when quite young and is still a French citizen. According to most of what I've read (in English) this would make me automatically French, I'd just need to get the...

French citizenship through french/canadian husband [ 3 Answers ]

Hey there - my husband was born in France. He's been a citizen of canada, resident of quebec, since his French family immigrated 36 years ago. We got married in Los Angeles, certificate issued at the Beverly Hills court-house, in 2003. I was originally informed that: 1) I had to wait 3 years...

Old Debts [ 5 Answers ]

I was just notified by a collector regarding a debt I incurred in 1996.I have not received any prior notice.This was an Emergency Room bill. I do not keep records past 8 years. I have no idea of what if anything I truly owe or paid. Can they come after me after 10 years ?I am in Texas. Susan

View more questions Search