Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djmonson Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2009, 05:09 AM
    Can I replace a 240v plug/cord with a 110v plug/cord on a KitchenAid Mixer (5KMP50)?
    I have acquired a KitchenAid Heavy Duty 5-quart 10-speed Mixer model #5KPM50, which has a European-style 240v plug. I know there are converters available, but I want to replace the 240v plug with the standard 110v plug used in the USA. Can I replace just the plug or should I replace the plug and the cord? Will it cause problems for the motor if I do this? Thanks for any help you can provide!
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Sep 24, 2009, 07:14 AM
    If you bought the mixer in Europe, the motor will be wound for 240 volt operation. Running the motor at half voltage will burn it out. You will need to change the motor to 120 volts to operate in the US.

Call your local Kitchen Aid repair shop. It may be just a simple matter of switching a few wires inside the mixer.

Sep 24, 2009, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ohb0b View Post
    If you bought the mixer in Europe, the motor will be wound for 240 volt operation. Running the motor at half voltage will burn it out. You will need to change the motor to 120 volts to operate in the US.

Call your local Kitchen Aid repair shop. It may be just a simple matter of switching a few wires inside the mixer.
    Thanks for the info. I will call my local Kitchen Aid repair shop and see what they tell me and post it here afterwards. Thanks again!
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 24, 2009, 12:52 PM
    Or you can just have a 240v circuit installed for the mixer.

Sep 24, 2009, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    Or you can just have a 240v circuit installed for the mixer.
    That's a good idea too! Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 01:46 PM

You can also use one of these: Voltage Converters - Voltage Transformers and Converter

Just pick one where the wattage is higher than the appliance.
    Power = v * I; Use V as 240 and the nameplate current.

You might be best sizing it 1.5 times what you get.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

15 amp extension cord to plug in 20 amp equipment? [ 22 Answers ]

I need to know if I can convert a 15 amp extension cord to plug in 20 amp equipment (temporary). The plug on the equipment has one fin turned perpendicular to the other. Is there an adapter for this?

12-3 wiring from gfi plug to outlet to plug in a 110v pool pump [ 5 Answers ]

Need to verify proper wiring for above 110v pool pump.

Gauge extension cord can I use as a temporary 'fix' to plug in my washer? [ 3 Answers ]

The outlet my washing machine should be plugged into at the moment does not work. I need to do laundry, so what gauge extension cord can I use to plug it into another, temporary, outlet until an electrician can fix the outlet?

Replace 2-plug GFGI with a 4-plug GFCI? [ 7 Answers ]

I am remodeling my bathroom and my wife wants a 4 plug outlet. She currently uses one for the hair dryer and one to charge her electric toothbrush. The intent is to add a lighted mirror or something else that uses little power. Would it be OK to replace the GFCI with a 4 plug GFCI? I suspect...

20 Amp 110V Locking Plug adapter [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I recently purchased a core drill with a locking plug, 20 Amp/110 V, which I hope to use at any location, not in a single shop. I would like to know if it is possible to find an extension already built to handle this for use at any location (with a non-locking, standard 3 wire male end)....

View more questions Search