Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rathore_mbm2002 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2009, 03:13 AM
    What are consequences if pump operated with lower density fluid tha specified?
    Dear sir,
    We are operating cross country LPG pipeline. At dispatch terminal we are receiving LPG from refinery. For boosting pressure of LPG we have multistage centrifugal pumps. As per OEM specification of pumps density of LPG shall be in range of 0.515-0.585 ]MT/m3(OEM). Now supplier has commissioned another refinery and started supply of LPG from there. LPG of new plant is of low density in range of 0.500 -0.510 MT/m3, which is less than OEM specs. So we are denying as per OEM specification. Supplier is forcing us to take this LPG on basis of Indian standard IS-4576 which he is fulfilling. In this standard nothing is given about density of LPG. But vapour pressure that shall in between 500kpa to 1050kpa.(i.e. any mixture of propane and butane can be possible.), other parameters he is fulfilling.
    As per our understanding following may be consequences of operating pump with low density:
    (1) NPSH related problem, because of high vapour pressure LPG , but pressure available is 20 Kg/cm2 at suction so this possibility is rare.
    (2) Metal to metal contact at close clearance parts inside pump.
    (3) Mechanical seal related problem.(mechanical seal, dual type API plan 11 & 52)
    Is viscosity will be less of low density LPG, which may lead pure lubrication in side pump and mechanical seal faces?

[U]In summary: What will be adverse effect on pump if we operate it with lower density LPG than OEM recommended(0.515-0.585 MT/m3)?[/U]

Thanking you for consideration and time.
    Regards
    Parbat Singh
    Sr Engineers
    Cedarln2265 Posts: 193, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2009, 05:59 AM

When the specifications are set by manufacturer the warranty for same becomes null and void if not met.
    Then your company would be responsible for cost of replacing parts or pumps
    Would the supplier be willing to assume the cost of replacement of failed equipment due to the lower LPG they supply?
    Perhaps providing them with the cost of replacement of equipment would be a start toward solving your situation.
    At worst -If this problem would lead to a bad situation/incident, having the supplier as a co-insurer of same would be best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lower left abdomen and lower backpain [ 3 Answers ]

My lower left abdomen really hurts with my lower backpain and its just happen right after my husband and I have sex,but before that I frequently feel numb un my left arm and leg. :confused: someone help me...

Pain at lower abdoen left and right and at lower back [ 2 Answers ]

I am 27 years old and I am feel pain at lower abdomen left and right and at lower back. Although it is not a huge pain but a little bit on and of some times. Please guide me. Thanks,

Hampton Bay Remote operated fan [ 5 Answers ]

I can't seem to figure out how to change the direction that my hampton bay remote operated fan spins. It came with our house and we want it to spin the opposite direction that it is spinning. There is no switch on it like most fans have on the base. Any help would be great!

Gas operated weedeater [ 1 Answers ]

How do I put the cord on the weedeater

1990 honda civic - my fan and wiper fluid pump doesn't work, no fuses blown? [ 1 Answers ]

1990 honda civic - no fuses blown, I smelled something burning (which eventually stopped), and now my fan for my heater and my pump for my windshield wiper fluid doesn't work?

View more questions Search