Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kb2k9 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2009, 12:05 AM
    Do It all apartment prep service
    My wife and I are starting a apartment prep service. The idea is to offer a wide range of services including, fresh coat painting, steam extraction carpet cleaning, and final clean before move in. Please help us with setting rates for this type of service.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 12:18 AM
    Hi, kb2k9!

You'll be looking at a number of different rates concerning what you'd like to do.

Which type of rates would you like to discuss first, please?

My choice would be painting.

Thanks!

Sep 24, 2009, 09:19 AM
    Hi Clough,
    Thanks for responding. Painting is a great place to start. We will be offering a fresh coat painting service prior to new tenants moving in. From what I learned about this so far, at least 2 different paints are required. Usually a flat for some area and semi-gloss others. Basically we will be touching up areas that's already painted.

Sep 24, 2009, 09:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, kb2k9!

You'll be looking at a number of different rates concerning what you'd like to do.

Which type of rates would you like to discuss first, please?

My choice would be painting.

Thanks!
    Hi, Clough
    Thanks for responding. Painting is a great place to start. We will basically be offering a fresh coat painting service prior to tenants moving in. From what I've learned sa far, at least 2 different paints are required. A semi-gloss in some areas and flat in others. We will basically be painting over areas that already have paint. What do you think?
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 02:24 PM
    Hi again, kb2k9!

I'm here. Just have other stuff to do since this is something that I do at my leisure.

Have you had any experience painting for others in order to make a profit for yourself, please?

Touching-up paint, is a whole different thing than painting entire surface areas.

Thanks!

Sep 24, 2009, 02:35 PM
    Yes, I've had a little expirience with painting. Not touch up. But actually, prime/killz, coating, and cutting in. This was roller work. But I plan to use an airless machine for this work.
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 02:50 PM
    How good are the walls going to need to look, please? If they might need to look perfect, then there are some issues that we need to discuss, if you'd be willing to do that.

Thanks!

Sep 24, 2009, 04:09 PM
    Im prepared to do the highest quality work that I need to do.
    I recently watched a guy do an apartment. The apartment he did wasn't that bad but he mainly touched the problem areas. More in the kitchen and bathroom. It took him an hour to do a 1 bed room 900 sqft. I guess the actually need for perfetion would vary, but like I said I will be striving for perfection regardless. Thanks again
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 08:47 PM
    Hi again, kb2k9!

If it's a flat sheen of paint that's on the walls and you have the exact type and color of paint that was used on the walls, I see no problems with touching things up. However, if the walls might be textured in any way and a sheen for the paint, other than flat, needs to be used, then I can see some possible issues arrising with just doing touch-ups.

Thanks!

Sep 25, 2009, 11:12 AM
    Hi again, Clough
    Yes it will be using the same color to paint over. That's the service we will be providing. Strictly fresh coat/touch up. How much should we charge for that?
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 12:08 PM
    What is the location where you'll be doing to work, please? Prices will vary, depending on the location.

Thanks!

Sep 25, 2009, 12:25 PM

Houston, Texas.
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 12:50 PM
    Then your prices will be higher than they are around where I live and work.

Around here, for two coats of paint, rolled on a perfectly flat surface, the going rate is about $.70 cents a square foot. For brushing on trim, (linear square foot pricing) the rate is about $1.25 per linear foot for two coats. Both of those prices don't include the cost of the paint. Around where you are, I would suggest upping the prices that I gave to you by $.30 to $.40 cents for rolling and brushing. Again, that wouldn't include the cost of the paint.

I'll go so far as to actually drive a customer to the store so that they can purchase the paint. That way, it's done and they then will know that what's in the cans is the paint that will be used. There are painters that will use paint cans for expensive paint and then put a cheaper paint in them.

When you "touch-up" with a paint or any kind of finish, it's better to go big on the surface area then to just do a little bit. Just a tip...

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 12:51 PM
    One more thing...

You're going to be offering a number of things that you can do for the customer.

What about offering some kind of "package" pricing?

Thanks!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2009, 01:20 PM

My ex and I did this as a business many years ago and one thing we had difficulty with pricing was the cleaning of stoves and refrigerators.

Sometimes they were filthy and cleaning them was very time intensive.

Having a standard rate is good but I would have an extra charge if the stove and fridge are going to exceed a certain time limit.

You might want to do a walk through with the landlord before hand to assess the situation.A walk through is good also because you may find a room covered in crayon and that will take more than one coat.

Also hand held steam cleaners are great for getting rid of the real stuck on stains and they also will make the appliance sterilized,which is a good selling point.

Good luck!
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 01:26 PM
    Hi, artlady!

You're in New York City, correct?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2009, 01:28 PM
    Hi, artlady!

You're in New York City, correct?

Thanks!
    New York,Central New York to be precise but my business was in Tampa Florida.
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 01:29 PM
    I'm confused. Are you meaning New York State?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2009, 01:33 PM
    I'm confused. Are you meaning New York State?

Thanks!
    I'm in New York state but there is Upstate N.Y. and downstate N.Y.
    I am in Central New York ,Syracuse to be exact.
    I lived in Tampa Florida when I had the business.
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 01:40 PM
    How about sharing some of the prices that you used down there? They would probably be comparable to what prices might be in Houson, Texas.

The prices where I'm located aren't like those in the largest metropolitan areas.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GED prep [ 4 Answers ]

Studying for GED test. Math is the subject that I'm having the most difficulties with. Is there anyone that may have a math worksheet or know where I can obtain a math worksheet as a study guide?

200 amp service to house, 100 amp serivce to workshop what prep is needed? [ 6 Answers ]

We are purchasing a home in Florida (Miami Dade Codes) that was built in the early 60's. There is currently a 150amp fuse box in the house which was originally a 2 bedroom house. We are having the panel upgraded to 200amp and breakers. We are also having new wiring installed for a washer, dryer and...

Prep algebra [ 1 Answers ]

Discounting air resistance, the height (in feet) above the earth for a shy diver t seconds agter jumping from an airplane at 10,000 ft would be given by the following H=-16t(t is squared)+10,000 FInd the time it would take the sky diver to reach the ground.

Tax prep [ 2 Answers ]

Where do I attach my 1099 - misc??

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

View more questions Search