Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    memomaker Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 03:50 PM
    Handle broke off on shut-off valve under sink
    Tried to turn off valve and handle (made of plastic) broke off. The thing that the handle turns is surrounded by a large nut, which I guess I could take off. I'm wondering if one can replace the handle, or whether it will be necessary to replace the whole valve. Looks like the valve goes on to 5/8 inch copper pipe.

Thanks.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 23, 2009, 04:08 PM

Did just the handle break off, or did the stem that the handle hooks to break off? If handle broke, you can grab the stem with a pair of pliers and turn it off. If stem broke flush with packing nut, then you can remove packing nut, remove stem with washer, and replace only stem and washer if you have the same brand and model of shut off valves to rob parts from. Personally, I would just replace the complete valve. Remember, you must shut off main water in house to do either of these repairs. Good luck and let us know if you need further assistance. Lee.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 23, 2009, 05:52 PM
    Hi all:

Lee covered this very well as usual... ;) However, if the home isn't too old and only the handle broke off you should be able to remove the handle screw and purchase a new handle replacement at a local plumbing supply store OR you could just buy any 5/8" O.D. (or 1/2" copper tubing size... same thing) brasscraft shutoff and just remove the handle and swap over to your shutoff... stems are the same size.

PS: If you end up trying to swap stems that can work as well, but be sure to match up the straight stem with a straight valve and an angle valve stem with an angle valve... ;)

See image below... does the handle/shutoff look like yours, except your handle was plastic?

Back to you...

MARK

Attached Images

Sep 23, 2009, 08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi all:

Lee covered this very well as usual...;) However, if the home isn't too old and only the handle broke off you should be able to remove the handle screw and purchase a new handle replacement at a local plumbing supply store OR you could just buy any 5/8" O.D. (or 1/2" copper tubing size...same thing) brasscraft shutoff and just remove the handle and swap over to your shutoff...stems are the same size.

PS: If you end up trying to swap stems that can work as well, but be sure to match up the straight stem with a straight valve and an angle valve stem with an angle valve...;)

See image below...does the handle/shutoff look like yours, except your handle was plastic??

Back to you...

MARK
    Thanks Mark. Actually it's the plastic stem that broke, and part of it is still inside the valve. I guess that means it will probably be easier just to replace the valve. In order to do that. Looks like I can turn the big nut to get the old valve off. -- Thanks again, Lou

Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    did just the handle break off, or did the stem that the handle hooks to break off? If handle broke, you can grab the stem with a pair of pliers and turn it off. If stem broke flush with packing nut, then you can remove packing nut, remove stem with washer, and replace only stem and washer if you have the exact same brand and model of shut off valves to rob parts from. Personally, i would just replace the complete valve. Remember, you must shut off main water in house to do either of these repairs. Good luck and let us know if you need further assistance. Lee.
    Thanks Lee. Actually the stem (plastic) broke at the nut. Once I remove the packing nut, would I just be able to put a new valve on there? Thanks again. Lou
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2009, 11:23 PM

See The Image below will show you how to replace the stem or the valve assembly, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Sep 24, 2009, 06:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by afaroo View Post
    See The Image below will show you how to replace the stem or the valve assembly, Thanks.

John
    Great diagram John. Just what I need to give me the confidence to go ahead. Many, many thanks. Lou

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Shut Off Valve between water heater and bathroom sink valve [ 14 Answers ]

I have a constant drip in my bathroom sink. After a little trouble shooting, I came to the conclusion that my hot water valve underneath the sink is the culprit. I traced the pipe down the wall, into the basement and to the water heater. The only thing between the water heater and the old valve in...

Can't get cold water in sink to shut off using handle [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced faucet and turned on main h20 valve then turned handle for cold water on and it went on but when handle is turned in off position it still comes out

Shut Off Valve Replacement Broke [ 15 Answers ]

I need to replace the hot water shut off valve under the sink that has the valve knob broke off. The two attached pictures show the valve. Can someone identify the type of valve I need for a replacement and the steps and equipment required. Thanks

Water dripping from angle shut-off valve handle [ 3 Answers ]

I have limited plumbing knowledge so pardon the question if foolish. I have a leak under a bathroom sink that has double shut-off valves (h&c). On the hot side the leak seems to be a drip from the shut-off valve handle. The shut-off valves attach to grey plastic supply lines and are secured by what...

Toilet Shut off Valve Broke off! [ 2 Answers ]

I dropped my hairdryer and it hit the toilet shut off valve. The oval shapped valve broke off - it looked like it was connected by plastic and some putty - probably some patch up job from the previous homeowner. Is it easy to replace just the knob?

View more questions Search