Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RACS123 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 02:22 PM
    Ovearseas money tranfer for education
    Let me know if I can get money transferred to my bank account from my sister overseas.
    I want to get transferred the money for education here in US.Is there any limit if the amount is 25k-40k .Will either of us have to pay tax on this amount ?
    Cedarln2265 Posts: 193, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 02:35 PM

When I transferred money to my son overseas, I just called my bank and asked them what they needed to transfer the money. Then called son and had him give me the information.
    Have her call her bank and see what she needs to have to transfer from her end.
    Since I was the one making the transfer, I did have to go to the bank to enact the transfer. You have a nice sister. Good luck

Sep 23, 2009, 04:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedarln2265 View Post
    When I transferred money to my son overseas, I just called my bank and asked them what they needed to transfer the money. Then called son and had him give me the information.
    Have her call her bank and see what she needs to have to transfer from her end.
    Since I was the one making the transfer, I did have to go to the bank to enact the transfer. You have a nice sister. Good luck
    Thanks, I will ask my sis to check with her bank but did you or your son had to pay any taxes on the amount u had transferred?
    Cedarln2265 Posts: 193, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 06:56 PM

No, when it's relative to relative as in our case it was "gift". The tax question I'm not sure about as it's sister to sister. Will you have to pay it back? That could also change how the taxes are figured. I'm fairly sure there's a limit on gifts though. You might want to ask the question in the taxes section. Good luck

Sep 23, 2009, 08:10 PM
    Thanks so much, that's what my questioned should have been limit on the gift from taxation purpose in this case. And no, I will not have to repay back to my sister.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2009, 10:00 PM

Education is an exception:
    Publication 950 (9/2008), Introduction to Estate and Gift Taxes

It says "paid directly to the institution," but that would be more difficult done as an overseas transfer. You may want to call the IRS to find out if it really has to be paid directly to them (1-800-829-1040), or you also might check with the school -- they might be used to getting transfers from overseas and know how to handle that transfer.

(Just as a note, though, I think the 2009 gift limitation is $13,000.)

Sep 24, 2009, 05:05 PM
    Thanks for the information, will check with the school as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Money for Education [ 2 Answers ]

. Are there grants for female felons that want to go to college

Can I take out money from IRA for education ? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm an Indian Citizen working as a consultant. I have a traditional IRA account for 2007 contribution. I am also planning for 2008 contribution. I got admission in universities for MBA and would like to take out entire money from IRA to fund my MBA. I do understand that I don't have to...

Education money for an ex felon [ 2 Answers ]

Is there money available for school for a felon newly released

Tax on money tranfer from abroad [ 1 Answers ]

I retired from my job abroad before moving to the US and becoming a US legal resident (green card). My retirement pay is now up to 35K. I have asked my sister to transfer it here to my bank in the US. What must I do with regard to the IRS? Thank you.

View more questions Search