Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jcollie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2006, 12:30 PM
    Electrical wire size for spa
    Hello,
    I am wiring up my spa and looking at what info I have (GE / Cutler Hammer) they say for a spa (240) use a 50amp breaker (which I have) and use 8/3 size wire. But looking at my spa where you hook the power up it says use 6 AWG minumin? So which should I use from the house to the breaker and on to the spa? 8 or 6 ?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2006, 01:15 PM
    If the spa manufacturer states #6 is minimum, that is what you must follow. Ampacity of wire is determined by the type of insulation.

If, for example, #8 UF is used, can only use for a 40 amp circuit, if THHN,which is now used in romex and MC cable, it is rated for 50 amps. Heating units are sized 125% of the nameplate load amps.

The manufacturer may either be taking the differences in cable that are on the market and the consumer may use, and/or have done the sizing for the consumer, in any case, need to follow the manufacturers instructions.

The entire circuit needs to be of the same size, from the panel, to the service disconnect, and to the hot tub controller.

Also, should have a 120 volt GFI conveinence outlet no closer than 5' and no more than 10' from the tub.

Hope this helps.
    Jcollie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2006, 02:04 PM
    Isn't UF for outdoors and THHN indoors? Also when you go to HomeDepot or Lowe's There big Hanging chart says "Outdoors use UF and with a 50 amp breaker use #8" ?
    Jalvarez1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2010, 04:13 PM
    No THHN does not mean indoors. THHN is generally used for commercial and industrial applications where stricter guidelines must be met. i.e.. THHN rated cable is gas & oil resistant and used in wet or dry locations.

Regardless of what Lowe's or Home Depot's giant charts of knowledge may tell you, the manufacturers instructions is "law"!

What you need to use is UF or NM-B rated (Residential use) romex #6 - 3 conductor cable, or 3 #6 wires if you feel like pulling individual wires. Also, use a 50 amp GFI circuit breaker at the breaker panel where power is being fed, and use a regular 50 amp circuit breaker at the breaker panel located near the spa.

Good luck!

Apr 13, 2010, 04:13 PM
    No THHN does not mean indoors. THHN is generally used for commercial and industrial applications where stricter guidelines must be met. i.e.. THHN rated cable is gas & oil resistant and used in wet or dry locations.

Regardless of what Lowe's or Home Depot's giant charts of knowledge may tell you, the manufacturers instructions is "law"!

What you need to use is UF or NM-B rated (Residential use) romex #6 - 3 conductor cable, or 3 #6 wires if you feel like pulling individual wires. Also, use a 50 amp GFI circuit breaker at the breaker panel where power is being fed, and use a regular 50 amp circuit breaker at the breaker panel located near the spa.

Good luck!
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13

Apr 13, 2010, 05:44 PM

Wrong too. NEC and local code is law... However not following the manufacturers instructions can void your warranty. Additionally, and more importantly, romex can NOT be used for a spa. The ground wire for a spa must be of equal size to all other wires and has to be a green insulated wire.

Apr 14, 2010, 08:41 AM
    As opposed to the spa manufacturers that don't follow the NEC?

Yes clearly the NEC is also "law" which the "manufacturer" must follow. So obviously this is implied.

Romex cable is to code. I myself recently had work approved by the city for running electrical cable to a spa. I was sure to ask that romex #6 cable is to code, to which they verified and approved. Although they did tell me to make sure the cable meets the manufacturers minimum size requirements.

Apr 14, 2010, 11:57 AM

While romex may have been approved in your particular area, in most parts of the country, with municipalities that are familiar with the wiring codes specific to pool and spa, it is not.

More than likely, the person that approved your romex wasn't aware of the code. NEC code is VERY specific that the ground wire has to be green insulated, and the same size as all the other wires. This is NOT the case with romex.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2010, 09:34 AM

With number 6's, you can have a # 10 Ground. Doesn't have to be the same size conductor.

Apr 15, 2010, 10:08 AM

For "normal" electrical applications this is true. However if you look at the codes specific to swimming pool and spas (Article 680), this is not true. Additionally, the ground wire used for pools and spas is required to be insulated , which romex is not. Furthermore :-), it's also required that pool and spa wiring be run in ridged conduit. Romex is not allowed to be run in conduit.

Note, your mileage may vary as different municipalities individually chose what aspects, if any, to adopt for the NEC.

Apr 15, 2010, 11:08 AM
    No doubt the NEC book can be very handy, but if you don't know how to interpret it correctly you'll do more harm then good. Remember the NEC book is a "guidline" not a construction manual.

Romex cable is absolutely permitted to be run in conduit. Although romex does not have to be run in conduit if you plan on routing through walls or attic space. However, when running romex underground you must use conduit. The only exception is armored romex cable where the metal sheath takes the place of the conduit.

Apr 15, 2010, 01:36 PM

NEC = National Electric Guidelines?
    OK, whatever.

For the consumers out there, be sure to check with YOUR local municipality as to what is and is not allowed. There are many variation/interpretions throughout the country.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2010, 05:00 PM

Down here we use PVC conduit with THHN/THWN Stranded.
    Pool bonds(Ladders, lights grid etc) is all bare. Don't know what they would say if I used Insulated Conductor for Ground?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wire for electrical stove [ 10 Answers ]

Hello can you tell me what size # wire I need for a 220 that an electrical stove will run off? The breaker is a double 50. I think that the wire that is there now is too small for the breaker. I think that when more than one burner is in use they don't work properly. One will cool down while the...

What size wire to use for new service? [ 2 Answers ]

We are currently building a greenhouse, and I need to run about 240 foot of wire from the pole to the greenhouse breaker box. The greenhouse will have 2- 115/230V fans drawing 6.0 amps each, 3- 1/3hp sump pumps not sure of the amperage yet but will be 115v, LP gas instant hot water heater, 10...

Bathroom wire size [ 2 Answers ]

I know that a 20 amp breaker and a GFCI plug are required in a bathroom. Does this mean the wire size has to be 12 gauge or can it be 14? If I wire the bathroom lights on the same circuit, can I splice in and use 14 gauge for the lights on a 12 gauge feed?

Wire Size For 200 Amp Service [ 2 Answers ]

Recently purchased new mobile home with a 200 amp breaker inside.the distance between the outside pole and inside breaker is about 70 feet.what size,or type,or gauge wire do i need to run. Lost in paradis... :) :confused:

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

View more questions Search