Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    noeb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 12:33 AM
    Older sister wants custody of younger brother
    I am a 25-year-old woman seeking custody of my 16-year-old brother who is out of control in my mother's care. We are technically half siblings, but I raised him. His biological father is my stepdad, who adopted me when I was 13. My parents both worked a lot and so I was left to care for my brother since I was 12 in MD. Now, a short 13 years later, after our dad died, my brother is out of control. My mom is never home and has pretty much left him to his own devices. I currently reside in SC and want to have custody of him and allow him to finish high school with me. What do I have to do to make that happen?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Sep 23, 2009, 12:47 AM

You can take action if you believe that the mother is not taking care of her son properly .
    It is possible for you to seek Guardianship of the boy first. This would involve going into Probate Court. Then, if and when guardianship is obtained, it may be easier for you to file for child custody in your role as Guardian. In effect that Guardian might be considered to have standing.
    But... you would need to approach the police or some child protective services agency in order to register a complaint, rather than filing an action in court on your own.
    There is a strong presumption in favor of custody of children being with their own natural parents, as compared to being with the third party.
    Therefore, the courts in child custody disputes that involve third parties will, absent strong circumstances, keep the children or return the children to the custody of their own parents.
    On the other hand, the court will be persuaded to give custody to you when looking at the circumstances involved it is presented with clear and convincing evidence that it is in the child’s best interests to be given to you.
    There is "Standard of proof".Some of its circumstances may be as follows:
    -the home of the mother for some reason is not fit,
    -the mother is not fit
    -the child is old enough, such as being a teenager, and does not wish to be with this mother.
    Rachelrang Posts: 45, Reputation: 0

Mar 11, 2012, 11:27 PM
    GV70 sounds like my friend who's in law school. Their right get a lawyer cause there may be some legal confusesion

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Younger brother jealous of older sisters boyfriend [ 2 Answers ]

My 12 yr old son is very jealous of his 16 yr old sister. He came home after school one day several months ago to find his sister in her bedroom with a boy. He noticed a love bite on her neck. He was very upset and refused to speak to her for 2 weeks. My daughter was appropriately disciplined for...

Trying to get custody over younger brother [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Im 18 years old and I have a brother that is 15 both our mother and father is dead he is now in a program in ft. lauderdale. I want to get custody over him. Please give me advice on what to do.

An older brother must find homes for his younger siblings at Christmas [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to find the name of an old movie, set in the 1800's, (produced circa 1940's or 50's, in color) about a young man whose parents die of cholera (or some other disease) and he must find homes for his younger brothers and sisters at Christmas. A real heart-wrenching movie. I don't remember any...

Brother wants costody of younger brother [ 3 Answers ]

Brother wants costody of younger brother Hi my name is Russell and I'm from Minnesota and I have a younger brother that is 15 going on 16 and wants 2 live with me how would...

My 8 year old is hitting her older sister and younger brother [ 18 Answers ]

Please help me, I am at my wits end with my 8 year old daughter. She had been hitting my 11 year old daughter. My oldest is watching the kids after school and this summer and the hitting has escalated and now she is hitting the 5 year old son. I have tried to reason with her, time out,...

View more questions Search