Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jally Posts: 28, Reputation: 0

Sep 22, 2009, 10:52 PM
    Are Wood-skids on basement floor safe from termites?
    Hi, I just installed a wood-burning stove, but didn't order a cord of firewood
    ... yet...
    That's waiting for when I figure out how to safely store it.

I worked hard all day today lugging 4 skids (wood pallets) to the house via hand-truck, one skid at a time.

Their dimensions:

Three are: 46" x 35" (these are in quite good cond. I.E. the wood seems fairly new/fresh even if sort of dirty in various spots)

One is: 48" x 40" (also fairly good cond.

Description of basement:

My 1950s ranch-house basement, which is damp-smelling & more than 3/4 underground, gets occasional slight water seepage during extremely intense/stormy weather. Recently, trenches + crushed-rock were inserted along front & back of house, to safeguard. Also plastic window wells. But water still sometimes gets through.

Question:
    Now I'm wondering whether I have to worry about termites getting at the wood of the skids (where the lower slats make contact with the basement floor?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 23, 2009, 02:27 AM
    Are there any stress cracks in the basement floor? Those can permit termites entry. For sanitation purposes as well as insect proofing, plastic sheeting under the pallets and clear air between pallets and walls will protect them as much as anything can.

Sep 27, 2009, 12:23 AM
    Hi, Catsmine, I can't tell if there's stress cracks in the foundation itself, because tile had been laid in the 1960's. It was good quality tiling. The tiles look like a brown & cream chessboard.

There are various spots where the tiles got cracked & chipped due to rough handling by people, especially since there used to be floods sometimes, which we shoveled up with metal dustpan & pail - instead of sumpump like most people do.

Naturally, the metal dustpan combined with wetness, ruined the tiles in some areas.

Would parachute cloth work as well as plastic sheeting?

Thanks!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 27, 2009, 02:24 AM
    For sanitation, parachute cloth will probably do fine. As far as termites go, doesn't it have some cellulose content? Any cellulose is termite food.

Sep 28, 2009, 11:13 PM

Not sure about the cellulose, so I may just stick to plastic - even maybe an old plastic tablecloth, the kind without flannel backing. Thanks for your advice :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Does wood floor sweat [ 4 Answers ]

Have a wood flooring ,had to pull it up as we had a strong smell, found the floor wet to touch under the plastic, but we also had rain or pool water coming in through the wood floor from outside on 2 floorwalls. At the moment I'm drying the room I have all the wood up will cork around the room to...

Wood floor finishes [ 2 Answers ]

If my bare wood floor absorbs any water spills immediately into it (it doesn't even bead for a second), what are some options for treating it? It's just one room. Thanks for any tips.

Mobile home is it safe to heat it with a wood furnace? [ 1 Answers ]

It itsafe to heat a mobile home with a wood furnace and can you tie into the excisting duck work?

Food safe wood filler [ 1 Answers ]

I am making a wood cutting board need to fill some cracks what's safe

View more questions Search