Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenni12 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2006, 11:58 AM
    Motorcycle helmets
    I am currently doing a research paper in my english class and the topic is should people wear motorcycle helmets? Its not a law in every state but should it be? Your thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!! :o
    jenni12 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2006, 11:59 AM
    I think everyone should have to.. I mean what will if hurt if you do? And think what it can if you don't!
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Nov 1, 2006, 05:35 PM
    All of the riders in my family hate Virginias law of having to wear a helmet. I think they are stupid.

When you are going 70 MPH down the highway, your in a dangerous position as it is. If you had a sudden accident, it wouldn't be pretty, helmet or not, but I can almost garentee that YOU WILL DIE if you are not wearing one. After all, there is nothing like the feeling of smashing your head on asfault at 70 MPH.

Do a search on the internet for accident stories where people don't wear a helmet. Local newspapers, etc.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 1, 2006, 05:45 PM
    I have seen enough closed head injuries that have resulted from riders at low speed who did not wear a helmet it makes me sick to think about it. Some closed head injuries are permanent not to mention severe.

Yes a crash at 70 is most likely going to kill you, helmet or not. But a crash at 15 miles ab hour and your head just bumps the pavement can cause permanent damage.

Whenever your head hits something, your brain gets "bounced" in the cranial cavity. That bouncing can cause serious and permanent damage.

So, yes, a helmet should be worn. Anyone who does not wear one has never spent time in a Critical Care Unit, watching the loved ones of patients in the waiting room, watch the doctor give the news that the husband/son will never regain consciousness and if they do they will never be the same.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Nov 1, 2006, 09:40 PM
    Helmets should be required for two reasons:

1. Make it easier to identify the body through dental records.
    2. Protect the corneas, which are useful for transplants.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Nov 2, 2006, 01:24 AM
    There have been reported cases, even from such things as a simple fall during rollerblading, where people have suffered what is commonly referred to as an "egg-shell" or circular fracture, having gotten up with little to no symptoms, only to die hours later.
    They don't call them "brain buckets" for nothing. ;)
    If your going to ride a "donor cycle", wear a helmet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ear Protection under Motorcycle helmet [ 8 Answers ]

We are long distance touring motorcylists who wear open face helmets with face shields. We use ear plugs usually but are discovering that all day use hurts the ears. I have investigated passive ear muffs but find that they do not fit well under a helmet. I have also investigated noise cancelling...

Repair of 1977 Yamaha XS650 motorcycle [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to fix an ignition problem with my 1977 Yamaha XS 650 motorcycle. There is no spark at the plugs.

Motorcycle Theft Prevention Need A Gps [ 3 Answers ]

Hi.. I have a 04 suzuki gsxr 750 with a lot of extras.. I don't have a garage and I have to park my bike on the street or in my back yard which is very accessible.. I'm hoping that someone can help me with finding a reliable, cheap, real time gps that doesn't have a monthly fee.. I've been checking...

Helmets, yes or no? [ 10 Answers ]

I have been a competitive skiier when I was younger and now I'm a dad teaching my daughter. I see all the little ones wearing helmets. I never wore a helmet and I have seen injuries from toes to necks. I can't remember ever seeing a head injury. My daughter has been skiing since 3 and now...

Motorcycle accident [ 1 Answers ]

I had a motorcycle accident around three and hafl years ago. I lost consciousness for nine days. After gaining consciousness, I have experienced three major problems: 1- Loss of smell 2- Both my right hand and right leg can hardly work, my leg becomes heavy when I walk and my hand can hardly...

View more questions Search