Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Sep 22, 2009, 10:35 PM
    New ALtenator & still not chargng!
    Working on my co-workers 1990 Plymouth Laser w/turbo. My coworker was told that his altenator was dead by a mechanic that tested it. I picked up a new one and installed it he drove it for 1 1/2 days and the battery died and it won't start. When I put the altenator on, I did a volt metre test and while the car was turned off, the battery was 12.2 volts. We started the car and the voltage went up to 13.1 volts at the battery. Any ideas on something we can check? I do remember when the car was running, I lifted the positive( I think) (it kept running) off and put it near the positive terminal and it was making tiny sparks. Thanks for all replies! ( I meant to say the battery is not new but will hold a charge for a couple days with a battery charger)
    obstinate24 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2009, 10:44 PM

Check all drive belts and turn on all accessories in the car and check voltage at idle and at high rpm if the car cuts off with all accessories on ( headlights wiper etc) check an electrician also change all relays they can remain closed causing a drain in current
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2009, 11:00 PM

Regulator is dead. Has to be higher than 13.1 V.

You either:
    Got a DOA alternator (alternator or regulator problem)
    Have a bad firewall connector to alternator

-or-
    You have a loose cable like the battery cable which is not tight and it fried the alternator.

Sep 22, 2009, 11:40 PM

That is impossible as the ground is from the battery and the current does not return to the alternator, I can only tell you what to troubleshoot so check all leeds and belts make sure they are tight and clean all grounds on the car.if nothing works find a alternator with higher amperage as the engine may be overworking causing the rectifier in the alternator to die out.

Sep 22, 2009, 11:42 PM
    You must get reading between 13.5v to 14.5volts
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2009, 06:51 AM

This link may give you a few ideas:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1973613
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Sep 29, 2009, 10:22 AM

Well it turned out to be a faulty altenator... Put a new one in and 14.1 charging volts... thanks guys!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Battery Light Comes on 10 min after start Brand New Battery [ 9 Answers ]

1999 chrysler lhs 116500 miles brand new battery and altenator... battery light comes on about 10 minutes after starting car and driving. Brand new battery checks out fine lights flicker on and off sometimes and radio sometimes goes out for a second... now car will not start but electricity works...

Car battery [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2002 PT cruiser with 27,000 miles and no problem with starting How do I know when to replace the battery?

Battery or not? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1989 Honda civic hatchback and the past couple days it started acting up. It will start sometimes, so I changed the battery connecters and re-charged the battery. It'll only start if I jump it or kick start it, but it starts it runs fine. I'm not sure if I need a new battery? Please help? ...

MAh ? Battery [ 4 Answers ]

What does mAh stand for and how do you determine how many mAh's your cell battery should have. This is not listed in my manual. I have L1400 with a 3.7V 750mAh. Thanks

Battery is new [ 6 Answers ]

I have change the battery so it hasn't to be something else. It won't start.

View more questions Search