Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shan1988 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2009, 09:37 PM
    s-trap in plumbing
    What is a S -trap?
    rightpmc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2009, 08:00 AM
    There are 2 types of traps used in a plumbing drain line, for draining of solid waste from a W.C. into the drain line.

The first is a S trap, where the trap is like the english letter S, which is lying horizontal, and where the solid material from the W.C is flushed out by the force of water and the S trap ensures that the solid does not flow back into the W.C.

The disadvantage of this type of a trap is that the drain line of this trap passes on the base slab of the W.C. which may lead to leakages / seepages in the future, when the joints of the trap open up after a long period due to wear & tear and ageing of the cement used for filling the joint.

The second type of a trap is the P trap, which is like the english letter P, which is lying horizontal.

The advantage of this type of a trap is that the drain line of this trap passes through the wall directly and not along the base slab, thereby reducing the chances of leakage / seepage in the future.

I hope the answer resolves your query.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Double trap OK? Rough in piping + tub trap [ 10 Answers ]

The way the 2" rough in went we ended up with a trap of sorts then a pipe to where the tub trap will be. Not completed yet. Just wondering if a tub trap and a trap made with the rough in piping will cause some sort of problem. The rough in trap was made off a 4x4x2 wye. Would that be adequate...

Open P-Trap in HVAC / Plumbing Soffit in Basement [ 8 Answers ]

My question is would you feel comfortable with an open p-trap connected to the main sewer line if it was concealed by drywall? This p-trap currently handles the rinsing of the water softener. The reason I ask is that I'm finishing my basement and have framed the soffit that will cover the hvac...

Plumbing in bathtub p-trap [ 1 Answers ]

We are in the process of replacing a bath tub, we pulled it out and noticed a piece of plastic pipe sticking out of the hole in the floor. It was sort of laying over. When we moved it, it just pulled up and it wasn't connected to anything. There was tons of dirt in the hole in the cement. How...

Replace P-trap with drum trap--good idea? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a large crack in a cast iron waste line. The line at that point serves just the kitchen sink and is vented to the roof. The first plumber I called wants to disconnect the P-trap, install a drum trap, drill through the cabinet and floor, and connect to the waste line down below the crack....

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

View more questions Search