Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2009, 08:22 PM
    Are there quick and easy resume downloads?
    I am no good at finding any without strings being attached. I am not saying that I want to do my resume quick and easy, just the gosh darn download. (preferably free) I am currently looking into a government job and I haven't done a fresh resume for over 12 years. I need some serious help.
    Thank you in advance!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2009, 10:46 PM
    Hi, startover22!

How about putting what you would like for a possible resume as an attachment in a document format of some kind here? If you do it that way, then it won't be readilly visible on the thread when people do searches for things on the Internet.

I'm sure that there will be those of us who'll be willing to make suggetions to you as to how you might make improvements to it.

There are a number of different formats to use for resumes. What the best format is for you will depend on what you want to include in it as well as who the target audience is.

A cover letter is something that you might also want to consider formatting to go along with your resume.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2009, 07:17 AM
    Thanks Clough!
    I found one with the help of my son. He says, MOM, this is easy! Haha
    I will see about posting the one I am going to use...

__________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Name
    Address
    Telephone:
    Email:

Objective: Type objective here

Experience:

Type Dates Company name, City, State
    Job Title
    • Type job description here

Job Title

Job Title

Education:
    Type Dates University Name, City, State
    Type Degree
    • Type honours, clubs or committees involved with
    • Type honours, clubs or committees involved with

Skills:
    • List special skills

__________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2009, 07:18 AM
    Just an example, fill in the blanks and "make it your own" sort of thing!
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2009, 12:24 PM
    Hi again, startover22!

Yes, those "fill-in-the-blank" ones are great, when people are just starting. But, using the "form" may not be enough for someone like you. I know that they're not enough for someone like me.

What sort of positions have you held in the past and what sort of position is it that you're going for with the government, please?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2009, 06:01 PM
    Oh gosh Clough... I have been a devoted stay at home mother for about 15 years. I worked at an accounts payable/filer/phone reception/organizer/blah blah blah for aobut 2 years back in 1999-2001. When I moved to Oregon I needed some "adult" time, so I ended up going to work with my friend, helping her out while she baked for a little Hawiian grill. I ended up taking on four nights week for years... then went into managing in the daytime for a little less than a year. (my heart was still with the kids and daycare just wasn't good enough for me or them.) Then a year and a half ago, they offered enough money and flexible full time hours, so I went back and manage again. I AM getting older and would like to get into something that I can retire with! That is all the work history I have, not including the daycare I was running out of my house for years! Any good ideas to make me look better than this here little story? Heehee
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 12:38 AM
    Yes, we can definitely work on making you look the best that you can on paper to a potential employer that you can then be able to elaborate on in an interview.

We can start somewhat in the middle...

Please list as many things as you can think of that you did as a manager, please? Nothing is too trivial. It's okay to just blabber on... I need to know specifics as to what you've done.

Please just start writing and communicating...

Things can be condensed and keywords used to make things look and read powerfully in your resume.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2009, 07:08 AM
    I will do that later this evening, I don't have time right now.
    THANKS Clough, you already gave me a little more confidence!:)
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 02:36 PM
    Hi again, startover22!

Yes, you can proceed with confidence! I'll be happy to work with you later! Am house and dog sitting right now for friends. Need to move out of here, tonight. Will be on much later, and sadly, with a much slower connection!

I get a bit spoiled when I house and dog sit for these folks!

Thanks!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 24, 2009, 02:55 PM

I've been helping people with resumes since 1985. I suggest you put together a functional (skills-based) resume.

Now, think about it -- what skills do you have? (It's amazing what you pick up when running a daycare business.)

I'll help too, and I have DSL (haha, dearest Clough).
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I've been helping people with resumes since 1985. I suggest you put together a functional (skills-based) resume.

Now, think about it -- what skills do you have? (It's amazing what you pick up when running a daycare business.)

I'll help too, and I have DSL (haha, dearest Clough).
    Braggart! :D
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2009, 09:47 AM
    You guys are great... Thank you. I got through the application, and now I need to add my resume and a few letters from my past employers! I need to really check into specific date when I was hired and when I left. I need to do some stuff before I proceed. Be patient with me as I have lots of kids and work full time. Thanks you two!
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2009, 02:02 PM
    Hi again, startover22!

Is the potential new employer asking for recommendation letters or letters of reference written on your behalf?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2009, 06:45 PM
    Reference letters. AND evaluations of any of my last employers, I have never had an employer that did those.
    I also have a bunch of stuff I have to get done before I even get started. I will be back with the need of your help soon! Thank you guys.
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2009, 07:36 PM
    Hi again, startover22!

It's really kind of odd that they would be asking for the letters from former employers. Do you know why they might be doing that, please?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2009, 08:43 PM
    They are not asking, I thought it would be a nice touch after the "interview"

I have great references, I have never had a problem with other employees, or any problems with my work or how hard I work. I just thought it would be nice to hand them over after the fact...
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2009, 08:56 PM
    Hi, startover22!

Are you saying that they aren't asking for letters of recommendation or a list of references? Are you talking about sending letters of recommendation, a list of references, or both? If so, which type to which are you referring, please? I'm confused here...

If they are asking for either or both, then you need to provide them. If they aren't asking for them, then I would wait until they ask you for them. Sending something prematurely could be viewed as a sign of weakness and insecurity. You should be able to sell yourself by a quality interview and the strength of your resume.

A nice, handwritten "Thank you" note after an interview is usually a nice touch, though.

Just my thoughts on those things...

Thanks!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 2, 2009, 09:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by startover22 View Post
    I just thought it would be nice to hand them over after the fact....
    Not before. Once you give them reference names and phone numbers, you are giving them permission to contact the references. You want the interview to happen first.
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2009, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Not before. Once you give them reference names and phone numbers, you are giving them permission to contact the references. You want the interview to happen first.
    Yes, I read that in your post before, so I figure if I have them ready for the "right" time, I will feel less stressed.

I want... ME, myself and I, want letters of recommendation, two of them... I have been a great employee and I know I would have no problem getting them from both of the full time jobs I have had. Got to git to work!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quick & easy calculations: IRR & NPV [ 2 Answers ]

I have a mid-term that I DIDN'T study for. I really need to know how to calculate the IRR & NPV (w/out my financial calculator)... i.e. I need the formula, the easiest one.:eek:

Quick easy loan [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, can anyone help me? I am a uk resident with a mortgage which is rented out due to ill health, and need a cash loan £ to move away from where I live at present (Peterborough) to another uk area. I am unemployed due to being unwell, I receive though a pension income of £520 monthly for...

Very quick response to my resume [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I submitted my resume for an entry-level position to a very busy job board the other day. The job listing was already 7 days old so I didn't expect to receive a quick reply, if at all. Lo and behold, less than an hour later, I received an email from a representative in this company...

A easy and quick tasty recipe ? [ 7 Answers ]

I don't have much time in the day due to work and then collage. And I need a nice quick easy meal to make. Can anyone help me :)? Please.

View more questions Search