Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ugacrew Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2009, 07:55 PM
    Repair Damaged Flat Garage Roof
    Several planks running across the rafters of a one car garage in an older home have dry rotted about 8-10 inches from their ends where they had been nailed into the rafter. The remainder of the planks are solid and so are the rupport rafters. The tarred roof covering is in very good shape on most of the garage except in this area where the prolonged leak and rot has occurred. Since I am a female, it would be much easier for me to cut 1" inch thick plywood boards, 19/1/2 inches wide, the exact amount required to make a perfect fit between the rafters, and attach from inside the garage by pressing them up hard against the bottom of the rotted sections and then securing them on both sides by nailing strips of 2x4s, rather than for me to have to use a hammer and literally ripp out the wooden planks along with the good tarred cover. Would this be OK? The ceiling in the garage is easily accessible to me from using an 8ft ladder. Big Thanks
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 22, 2009, 08:39 PM

Sounds like exactly what I would do. Plywood would be 3/4" however. Use 2x3 instead of 2x4 to make bottom edge be even. Cut plywood to fit then nail to 2x3. Put up between joists (rafters) and push up and prop with 2x4 to keep tight against the roof while you nail.

Sep 23, 2009, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Sounds like exactly what I would do. Plywood would be 3/4" however. Use 2x3 instead of 2x4 to make bottom edge be even. Cut plywood to fit then nail to 2x3. Put up between joists (rafters) and push up and prop with 2x4 to keep tight against the roof while you nail.

THANK YOU hkstroud!!

Sep 28, 2009, 08:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ugacrew View Post
    THANK YOU hkstroud!!!!!!
    Follow-up ?Question: I have replaced the plywood as recommended under the bad rotted out areas. I need to now cover all of that new wood that was over those rotted out areas. What procedure do I follow to cover this new wood and "join" it to the rest of the good tar covering that is already in place? What do I cover it with, paper and a sealant, a thick gooey patch? Please advise. My discovery of this info site giving me access to real experts is absolutely fantastic!! I just love it!!
    dhatura Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 07:56 AM

I would start with a 90# and new drip edge. As for the seam.. . Fabric and karnak flashing cement.
    After the patches are tarred, you can apply the karnak and fabric to the seam in layers. When applying the fabric, make sure there's enough cement on the area to cover the entire fabric and that when you place a piece of fabric it overlaps any other pieces by at least an inch and a half.. smooth out with a trowel. I usually use a margin trowel that is made fot masonry along with a 3/4" pointer. Once you have a nice cement surface, roll the fabric and with the pointer, smooth it into the cement, so it becomes smooth and the cement fills the holes in the fabric. Repeat these 2 steps as needed to build up the seam.the roofing fabric usually comes in 1ft wide rolls. (looks like cheesecloth made of tar) this will keep the seam from cracking out later on.

Oct 5, 2009, 08:44 AM
    Thank you!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Damaged roof rafters [ 4 Answers ]

I am about to do some repairs to my roof rafters. A few of which have water damage to the ends. My question is:- a) When sistering a rafter, should I cut out the damaged part of the old rafter to stop the damage travelling anf further? b) should I clamp both sides of the old rafter or is...

Tiled terrace on garage roof leaking rain in to garage [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a concrete block built garage the roof of which acts as a terrace/patio. It is tiled with quarry tiles. Recently, during severe weather, the rain has started to run through the tiles (somehow? The grouting was waterproof and looks OK) and through the joints in the concrete into the...

Flashing Roof Vent on Flat Roof [ 14 Answers ]

I am getting ready to install some ventilation in my flat roof. I've decided to go with this system: Flat Roof Top Attic Ventilation. It looks perfect for my application. I've done some research on how to install the fan, including on a couple other forums, but have a couple of unanswered...

I am building a truss roof over a flat roof.the size is 9'wx9'd.where do I begin this [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a gable roof over a flat roof at our church.It is 9'wx9'l.How do I determine the height of the center rafter?

Attach gable roof to flat roof [ 1 Answers ]

We are building a three season attached screenroom. We are uncertain how to attach the gable roof to the present roof (gabled in the opposite direction, so the attachment is on the flat side). We have spent hours trying to locate do it yourself instructions and can only find do it yourself kits...

View more questions Search