Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katiky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2004, 04:41 PM
    Puppy is not playful
    Hi everyone

We just got a lab puppy the other day. She is 16 weeks old. I am having a few problems with her.

First I thought labs were suppose to be playful. She loves to sleep. Don't get me wrong when she is up she loves to play with us but after about a 1/2 hour to an hour she is out cold again. When I got her from her owner she was hyper I thought but she was in a little cage and still had mama with her. Will she learn to trust me after I have had her a little longer we have only had her 3 days now.

Second the puppy food they had her on she didn't seem to like so I switched her to purina puppy. Now she is starting to have the runs. I made the change over 2 days should have it been longer? She was also wormed on Monday so this is also only about 48 hours since then.

What should I do? I mean when she is up is is the best puppy I have ever seen she sits down by you, most of the time she even comes when called. ANd after a few times of telling her down she doesn't jump unless you ask her to.

Is this a good puppy or is there something wrong with my new baby? Her old vet gave her a clean bill of health.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2004, 07:50 PM
    Re: Puppy is not playful
    The runs could be a combination of too fast of a change in food and the worming. The sleeping could be just normal for a puppy. She may have had a nice nap before you cam and been excited to have a visitor, followed by long nap as soon as you left. Keep an eye on her. Severe, foul smelling diarrhea and lethargy could mean parvo. It can strike quickly, and requires fast intervention by the vet to save the puppy.

In some ways she sounds very much like my Pepper that came to me at 16 weeks last November, a black, female Lab that seemed to sleep a lot.

Save yourself a lot of hassle. Do not let her get out of the habit of sleeping in a crate. A 36'' plastic Vari Kennel, Pet Porter, etc. will be big enough for all but the largest Labs. Her and your house will both be safer when you can't watch her.

The Purina Puppy Chow is fine. Starting in 91 we raised several Labs for a dog guide school on it. They have switched to Pro Plan now, largely because it produces stools that are easier to clean up. They also have us switch to adult chow before 6 months. Lean puppies on a less rich diet tend to develop stronger joints.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Help with puppy [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old male shih tzu, and just brought home a 3 month old female shih tzu. My male keeps on trying to mount the female. Can he hurt her by doing this?

New Puppy [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I have an eight week old dachshund puppy that I've had for three days. This moring I noticed a very small amount of blood in her stool that she passed at the very end. How serious is this? Thank you, Kelly

Puppy wants in and out, in and out [ 4 Answers ]

I take my now 9 week old puppy to work with me every day. I've had him since he was 5 weeks old so he is somewhat house trained already, and my office building is actually a house so there is a yard. My puppy will go to the door and whine when he wants to go out, which I know should be good. BUT,...

When is a puppy not a puppy anymore? [ 3 Answers ]

Our Lhasa is now 10 months old. As a puppy we have had food available pretty much at all times, but maybe he's getting past that now, and for his weight should maybe only be fed about a cup to a cup and a half of his dog meal a day. We have been using Wysong, by the way, and it seems to have a...

View more questions Search