Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nigel archer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2009, 01:03 PM
    My PC keeps shutting down every 20 minutes
    I've formatted c-drive, took everything out,cleaned everything & put it all back in, unplugged everything apart from my hard drive but it keeps shutting down all the time, when I play an old game like need for speed underground 2, or even guild wars, I'm completely stuck now & don't have the money to take my tower into a shop, I'm at a complete lose, couls someone please help me before I start kicking my pc-lol

Nigel
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2009, 01:28 PM

My guess is that it has something to do with your power supply to the tower. Possibly the power supply is going bad. I had to replace my power supply in my Gateway a few weeks ago and it would reboot my computer at least 2x a week until it totally went bad. My Gateway was from 2002.

Do you have anyone who could properly test your power supply for you to see if it's putting out enough juice to run the machine? If you don't change out the power supply and that proves to be the problem - guess what. One day when you go to turn your machine on it won't turn on at all and then you will have to choose between eating and using your PC. I found a reliable shop and waited for the power supply to be changed out. $85 out the door in less than one hour was my cost. Well worth it as I spend hours on my computer every day. Another shop wanted to charge me $200 for the same thing! Call first and ask for an estimate over the phone.

Have you opened the case up and cleaned out any dirt clinging to the power supply module? Sometimes if a person is a smoker it will clog up the power supply quicker than a non smoker. Also, don't put your tower on the floor but on a desk top or table instead. This helps lessen any dirt from entering the machine also.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2009, 01:29 PM

I can't be sure, but it sounds like faulty hardware to me. When you "formatted c-drive,, took everything out, cleaned everything &put it all back in ..." Did you actually do a CLEAN INSTALL of Windows?
    nigel archer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2009, 01:50 PM

I did clean everything out of c-drive when I did a format, but I do have c,d,e,f,g drives as I've separated the hard drive like that, was wondering if I had a virus on one of the other drives, can I virus shut down my PC when I'm playing games etc?

I did clean my power supply & have now unplugged both my roms & only have back fan & hard drive running, it has'nt shut down now for over 2 hours, but it has shut down before when I've just been surfing or on msn, still shuts down with no roms plugged in when I'm playing games.
    Sylvanta Sybil Posts: 74, Reputation: 5

Sep 24, 2009, 01:55 AM

If a clean install of Windows didn't fix it, try checking the memory modules. You may have to open the computer up and then test the memory modules one by one to the slots (one by one, too). See if the system will not shut down with any of them. If they all fail, yep check the power supply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog won't lay still more than 2 minutes [ 2 Answers ]

Our dog is having issues. She lays down and two minutes later, she is up walking in a circle and then lays down again. This is constant? She has issues she is constantly licking herself. You give her a bath and he next day she back to licking. She is about 13+ years old, rusty red mix dog.

Every day there are only 30 minutes [ 3 Answers ]

I can see him before my one o'clock class. He can see me after his 12:30 class. There are words I want to tell him, which is hindered by reality. There are moments I feel I love him yet he is standing far away between our souls. I dared to skip my class today for seeing him more. He had...

Hot Water for only about 2 minutes [ 2 Answers ]

My hot water heater is about 2 years old. The other day I noticed there was no hot water in the shower. I discovered that the switch in the electrical fuse box had tripped, so I reset it and turned it back on. Since then when I take a shower, I only get lukewarm water which lasts for only about...

Computer takes up to 5 minutes shutting down [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have problems with my laptop shutting down quickly. If I click start>shut down, most of my time is spent waiting for the shutdown dialog box, the one which asks to restart-logoff-shutdown. My alternate is ctrl+alt+del and shut down from the menu there, but while I don't have to wait for the...

View more questions Search