Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fustus20 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2009, 09:19 AM
    Should I use sealers on these threads?
    I had to remove radiators in my home for repairs to walls.. I need to put them back.. I want to know should I use a sealer on the threads or tape or nothing? It is a hot water system
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 22, 2009, 09:20 AM

Is this copper or steel pipe? I'd use white teflon on copper but for steel use a paste.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 22, 2009, 11:21 AM
    A agree with ballengerb1 but the pipes are steel/black iron get the good pipe dope paste. Pipe dope paste or teflon tape acts as more of a lubricant than a sealer. This is so the pipe threads can screw into the fitting better and thus prevent the leak. With black iron or steel pipe if you have a leak many times you have to disassemble everything just to fix that leak that is why it is important to use good dope and make sure your joints are tight.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Liquid drain leak sealers [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, is there a liquid I could pour in the shower drain that would seal a hairline crack somewhere in the plumbing, prpbably near the goose neck or at the top of the hump of the neck, kind regards kurt.. e-mail is [email protected] (from canada)

Air conditioning sealers [ 1 Answers ]

I know sealers are made for automotive air conditioners. I also know that some work and some do not. But I would like to know if sealers are made for a home type a/c. Thanks

Threads [ 7 Answers ]

I'm an electrician and everyone says that electrical conduit threads are a straight thread, Our code says a 3/4" taper per ft which I have been told is the same as plumbing threads and that our electrical couplings are a straight thread, does any one know if plumbing threads are 3/4" taper. Thanks...

View more questions Search