Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ilovemydog Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2006, 09:16 AM
    Pet poop
    I can't stop my shelty from craping in my basement. He does it when I am in bed or in the shower. I bring him out he just pee's. I stick his nose in it. He is 2 years old and I thought he would not do this anymore!

What can I do?:confused:
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Oct 30, 2006, 09:25 AM
    Why on earth would anyone stick a dog's nose in poop? That just makes him want to hide his poop even better. You need to teach, not punish. If you are not there to discipline him at the time that he does the deed, you cannot punish him. Take the poop outside to the appropriate place, so he knows that it is the correct place. Then be there when your dog poops in the basement, correct him, and put him outside while he is in the act of pooping. Better yet, learn the signals that he gives to indicate that he has to poop and take him for a walk. Make sure he doesn't have colitis and to do that you need a veterinarian. There are lots of help available to the vet from behavioral experts. Check out Elimination problems on VeterinaryPartner.com M. L. Garrett, DVM

Oct 30, 2006, 09:30 AM
    I never had any trouble with my other dog, I never did stick my dogs nose in her poop. This dog is my husbands dog and I am just clueless on how to help him. We just got married and this dog is new to me. Its kind of hard to correct a dog while your in the shower or in bed sleeping no? Anyhow thanks for the advice you did offer.
    tre_cani Posts: 117, Reputation: 22

Oct 30, 2006, 09:44 AM
    You can start by not sticking his nose in it. It's one of those old fashioned "training techniques' (I use that term loosely) that will just not go away.

It does nothing but confuse your dog and makes you look ridiculous.
    Really, please don't do that to your dog.

I suggest that you try using a crate to confine your dog while you are unable to supervise him.

See this thread to learn more about crate training:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/pets-a...tes-39326.html

Good luck!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2006, 10:40 AM
    No rubbing her nose in it. Yes a crate. Your husband may need a little convincing on the crate. She may too. Most dogs accept being crated very quickly. Some foul their crates for reasons they never explain. I recently discussed that problem and issues people have with crates in this thread, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/pets-a...ate-36680.html

There is a lot of bad advice on dogs on the net. Many people out of the mainstream put up websites advancing their agenda. I think I have seen more bad ones than good ones. That is particularly true of ones I see recommended here and on similar sites.

Oct 30, 2006, 11:58 AM
    Yes I have gotten bad advice, which is why I was doing the rub the nose method. The shelty is a "he" just so your aware of it. We have a huge cage/crate and used it a lot in the past. I thought that now that he is 2 years old he could be out of it for a while and get used of NOT pooping in the house. I take him out very often when I am at home.. and go for long walks, but he only pee's but as soon as I am in bed sleeping or showering sure enough he poops. I choose not to keep him "caged" any longer. I will figure something out and talk with his vet. Thanks anyway everyone.

Take care

Oct 30, 2006, 01:02 PM
    My guess is that your dog's gender makes no difference, unless he is not neutered, which is highly suggested if he's not. I've never heard of a dog pooping as a way to mark territory, but maybe someone else could enlighten us?

As for the crate... you say you chose not to keep him 'caged'. A crate is not a negative thing. A dog doesn't outgrow his need for a crate with age. Dogs enjoy the privacy and security they get with a crate. I heard someone say that a dog likes being crated because in the dog's mind they are "off duty".

You also mention that the crate was 'huge'. Perhaps it was too large for him? How long has he been without his crate? Maybe he is reacting to it being taken away? Just a thought!

Good luck!

Oct 30, 2006, 01:48 PM
    Maybe.. I will see what I can do, I am just frustrated. My husband told me he has been in it since he was a puppy.. I just think it maybe time to ween him of it? Then again.. I am finding... what do I know.

Oct 30, 2006, 01:56 PM
    You shouldn't wean him of the crate. It's his refuge from the world, his place to get away from daily activities and if he's been in it since he was a puppy, I'll bet he wants it back!

I know you just wish to afford him some freedom by relieving him of his crate, but believe me, his crate is not a prison to him, it's his bed when he's tired and it's a place to be when things get chaotic. It's akin to us being more comfortable in our own home rather than living out in the street. We're safe and comfortable inside.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2006, 04:46 PM
    Yes give him back his crate. I would stick to the old one. He has been through enough change recently that even if it isn't ideal for him, it is his crate. Have it available whenever he wants it. I wouldn't shut him in it except when you can't watch him.

Another vote to neuter him if not already.

I do think dogs use bowel movements for marking. Years ago when I was much lower on the learning curve, we had an intact, male mix. When we let him out, he would make a circle along the fence sniffing every inch of it. He would stop and lift his leg where he thought it needed it. He would then sniff some more. In some cases, he would then turn around and leave a bowel movement. When dogs find anothers' stools, they always carefully sniff them over.
    Marcimac Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2006, 01:40 PM
    I think you need to put your Shelty in a confined area when you are in bed or in the shower because that way the dog will treat it as their own personal space and won't poop in it. We crate train our dog and he has never eliminated in his crate- he will whimper until we take him out. Maybe if your dog has a "home" like that it could help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy with blood in poop [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 9 week old poo-tzu, lstnight he woke up to go to the bathroom more than usual. This morning I noticed his poop was kind of runny, and looked like there may be some blood in it. Anyone know why this could be happening?? :confused:

Puppy won't poop outside [ 8 Answers ]

I just bought a six month old miniature pinscher. I have read that they are stubborn to housebreak. When I take him outside all he does is sniff around and eat bugs but will eventually pee. When he comes in, he sometimes poops within 5-10 min. I have even cought him squating and picked him up...

Help! My poop puppy [ 9 Answers ]

I just recently adopted my dog a German Shep. X. from the local humane society and for the first four days she was great. So much energy. Now she won't eat a thing and keeps throwing up early in the morning. She is still pretty playful but you can see that she is tired. I brought her the vet and at...

Beagle eating Poop [ 1 Answers ]

All, I have a beagle female and not only does she eat her own pooh, she's begun to go into the cat box and pull out the cat's pooh. How can I stop this, and keep the cat using his box? I know of the stuff to put in her food to prevent her from eating her own, but the cat's stuff (along...

I'm tired of poop... [ 9 Answers ]

Mostly this thread is about me venting. Our lovely new little Basset Hound, Buddy, as my husband has named him, won't stop pooping in the house. We finally got him to stop peeing in his crate. He had to spend a couple of hours in a puddle of his own pee before we got home to give him a bath (the...

View more questions Search