Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cindy lou hoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2009, 04:24 AM
    How do I size an Electirc Heat Circuit and Fuse
    Hi cindy here
    We have and old fuse panel. And we want to hook up baseboard heaters. What size fuse would we use in the box.:confused:
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Sep 22, 2009, 04:58 AM
    The fuse size depends on the amount of current the circuit is expected to draw.

To compute baseboard heater current draw, use Power's Law:

P=E x I Where P = power in WATTS (kiliwatts divided by 1000) E=voltage of the circuit, and I= current in amps.

For example, if you have 5 KW heater operating at 240 volts, the current will be:

5000Watts/240 Volts=20.8 amps

Next, the NEC requires you to multiply the current by 125%, so you need to design the circuit for 26 amps.

So, you will need No. 10 AWG wire, and a 30 amp fuse.

Note if you use 120 volt heaters, you need to design for 52 amps, which requires a 60 amp fuse and No. 6 AWG, which is quite heavier, that is why you use higher voltages when you need more power.

However:

Since you said you had a fuse panel, I am assuming you have an older house. There are a couple other things you have to consider:

1. Do you have enough power available at the service (power coming into the house from the utility) to add heaters?

2. A 240 volt circuit must be fused on BOTH sides of the line, so you need to have TWO fuse spaces available in the panel.

3. You must also provide a way to disconnect ALL sources of power to the heaters. Removing one fuse will cause the heater to stop operating, but there will still be power available from the other fuse, which is dangerous if someone tries to work on the circuit. You need to integrate a device that will separate both sources of power with one action

You must consider all these factors for a safe installation.
    cindy lou hoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2009, 08:46 AM

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3-amp fuse on circuit board [ 7 Answers ]

I've been having an intermittant problem where the 3-amp fuse on the circuit board keeps burning out. Lately, the problem has occurred in the late afternoon (3-7pm) such that when I replace the fuse, it will last for 3-4 minutes before blowing again. If I wait until late in the evening to turn on...

A/C circuit board fuse [ 1 Answers ]

Why would the fuse blow on the circuit board? I changed it last night at 6PM and 9:30AM it was out again could it be a capacitor?

Fuse to circuit [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 60 amp fuse box it has 6 s type fuses all say 30 amp, I believe these should have been different values. 2 of 6 of these fuse slots don't work, so the previous owner just doubled up the lines on the fuses that work. This is a mobile home with an adition which is tied to the pwer where...

How to find the right size fuse [ 1 Answers ]

I have 240v circuit and a solenoid that I want to know what size fuse should I use.

How to determine which fuse size I need? [ 2 Answers ]

I've just installed power door locks in my Honda Civic, and I've placed a fuse holder along the wire that goes from + terminal to the door lock relay. First of all, should it be on the + side of the battery or the - side? More important question is, how do I determine the fuse size that I...

View more questions Search