Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Greg Preston Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2006, 08:25 AM
    Tempstar furnace
    I have an 80+ tempstar with the smartvalve gas valve. During the call for heat, the inducer motor starts, but the ignitor will not come on and light. I checked the ignitor and it is good. I checked for voltage and it is good. Could the gas valve be bad, since the ignitor is controlled by the valve and not the PC board?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2006, 11:02 AM
    If you are lucky, the pressure switch that indicates the inducer motor is running is bad. Much cheaper and easier to replace than the board or valve.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2006, 02:56 PM
    If the pressure switch closes the furnace will start its call for heat and the HSI will glow. Does pilot light? Then the main doesn't open? If I had a dollar for every smart valve we went through last year I'd be vacationing in the Bahama's all this winter. The flame sensor could be dirty if your lucky. Take great care trying to clean it since the ignitor is quite fragile and onlt 3/8" away.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2006, 01:28 PM
    From a PM:

Quote Originally Posted by heatman
    Labman, thanks for the answer to my question. To go farther, the pressure switch is operational. I checked it to be sure. It will not go to the next step and call for the ignitor to come on.
    I cleaned the flame sensor and checked the ignitor for continuity. They are both good. I even went as so far to tap on the valve to see if the contacts were stuck open. I still get nothing. I'm really leaning towards the valve being bad. Any more ideas? Thanks, greg.
    If the ignitor doesn't heat up, it is not the valve. Once the control board gets the signal the inducer is going, it should power the ignitor. See if you get power to the ignitor.

I agree with https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...-pm-29973.html

The board is your best protection from bad answers after your own good sense.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2006, 03:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    From a PM:

If the ignitor doesn't heat up, it is not the valve. Once the control board gets the signal the inducer is going, it should power the ignitor. See if you get power to the ignitor.

I agree with https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...-pm-29973.html

The board is your best protection from bad answers after your own good sense.
    The smart valve contols the ignitor and does its own flame rectification, The other board in the furnace only controls the fan after signal from smart valve tells it flame has been established.
    air141 Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 2, 2008, 02:23 PM
    My furnace fan comes on but doesn't light furnace the ignitor clickson but it seems that no gas is there to light
    tsa7man Posts: 154, Reputation: 9

Apr 3, 2008, 05:00 AM
    Post the model and serial number of your 80% furnace.. because there has been a few small issues with them related to the pressure switch... I have a number of questions... how cold is your basement where the furnace is ? Try this first... pull off the pressure switch hose from both connections, and hold it in a "U" shape as you do this. With a piece of paper handy, open hose up and blow through it... see if you get any condensation out of the hose on the paper, if so, post back your findings and I'll tell you how to correct that issue. By your description of the problem, the pressure switch is not closing which could be anything from a plugged up vent to a weak inducer motor... most likely water in the hose... like I said earlier, post the model and serial number so I have a better idea which series 80%'er you have to be able to better help you...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My intertherm furnace pilot lights but furnace won't kick on [ 5 Answers ]

I need some diagnostic help. We have a full propane tank. A new burner plate (last year) and the blower works. We light the pilot but the knob should pop up after one minute thus lighting the furnace. It won't pop up. What part should we replace? The furnace is a 17 year old Intertherm MGH...

Tempstar smartcomfort two stage gas furance [ 2 Answers ]

The power went off in my area and the furnace has not worked since. I looked at the circutbreakers none were tripped. I turned the one switch I see on the furnace and still nothing. It will be some time before I can get service since there is a driving ban in my city right now can anyone give...

Furnace Won't Go On [ 2 Answers ]

The pilot light is on but the furnace won't go on. I turned the thermostat way up and it still won't go on. The circuit breaker is on. Thanks... we're freezing here in buffalo today

RTH230B Thermostat and Tempstar NTC5057BHB1 [ 4 Answers ]

I too installed a RTH230B programmable thermostat this winter and all has been going well on the heat side. We tried to turn on the AC today, I get the symbol of the snowflake, but not the fan. Here is my current wiring on the Thermostat: G=Green Y=Yellow W=White Rc=Red Rh=Blue The...

Transformer wiring of tempstar furnace [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Labman, I had a bad relay (LY2 24 VAC), so I marked the wires on piece of paper to take it off and install the new one. The problem that I lost the paper somehow and I don't have a clue how to install the new one. I know that the I/p is 120 VAC and the o/P 24 VAC. How ever I have 6-wires...

View more questions Search