Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lookingforward Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2009, 04:39 PM
    Motions in opposition
    My husband has filed a petition to modify his parenting plan for his 13 year old daughter who lives with her grandmother (mind you that he already has a standing court order) she respoded with a motion to dismiss- saying that he lacks standing to pursue relief as he has not been adjudicated the legal father?? Ok so now I know that I must file a motion in oppoistion to her motion to dismiss, the problem is I cannot find this form anywhere. Do I actually need to type this up myself? Any help would be great.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 04:59 PM

I don't understand - there is a parenting plan in effect, specifically naming your husband, but he has never been adjudicated the father?

How did he get a parenting plan in the first place?

Why isn't the child with him if he's the father?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 05:06 PM

If there has been a parenting plan in place by a Court Order then yes, he does have legal standing. There is no "form" for this type of motion available as all are always done from scratch by an attorney. If what the grandma says is true that he is not the legal father, then why would your husband pay child support (if in fact he does) or have any parenting plan in place?

Does grandma have an attorney filing this motion to dismiss?

Sep 22, 2009, 09:12 AM
    The mother and the father had the daughter when they both were 19, the grandmother managed to get them to "sign papers" to let her treat the daughter if she needed medical attention- well little did they know what they were signing was giving her custody- they went to court immediately and fought for the daughter- The mother lives 40 min from us which she is trying to get visitation changed for herself as well- at this point they do not want to take the daughter away from the life she has- just want to see her more- the grandmother has not let either mother nor father have contact with the daughter for a year and a half. The father does not pay child support- he was but the grandmother sent the checks back with a letter stating that no amount of money was worth her letting the daughter see her- The daughter wants to see her mom and dad- the grandmother is EVIl. But yes he has a visitation order that he is trying to modify, I don't think the grandmother gave her attorny the original order (she had a diff attorney at the time) so what I understand is I need to file a motion in opposition an attatched a letter from the natural mother stating she has never ? Him as the natural father, as well as the birth certificate and the previous visitation order. Does that sound right? Or should I just contact her attorney and make her aware of a previous visitation order? Thank You

Oh and she never lived with him before because he lived out of state. LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG story
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Sep 22, 2009, 12:02 PM

Quote Originally Posted by lookingforward View Post
    The mother and the father had the daughter when they both were 19, the grandmother managed to get them to "sign papers"...giving her custody
    In my understanding the grandmother has sole legal custody.
    the grandmother has not let either mother nor father have contact with the daughter for a year and a half.
    It is a violation of the Court order and may be used as a ground for modification...
    The father does not pay child support- he was but the grandmother sent the checks back with a letter stating that no amount of money was worth her letting the daughter see her...
    Mistake!If he has not seen his child for a year and a half and ha has not paid child support,the grandmother has a case to file for child abandonment.Child support is paid for child's need,not for grandmother wishes.
    so what I understand is I need to file a motion in opposition ...
    You need nothing because you do not have a dog in that fight.
    saying that he lacks standing to pursue relief as he has not been adjudicated the legal father???????????
    the natural mother stating she has never ? him as the natural father, as well as the birth certificate and the previous visitation order. does that sound right?
    Does it mean both the mother and grandmother say he is not the biological father?Have he ever sign a Paternity acknowledgment?
    WHICH STATE????

Sep 22, 2009, 03:24 PM
    It is Florida and you have the story wrong- There is not a court order and has never been a court order for child support!!
    The grandmother was granted custody for the period of One year is 1999, she refuses to give the child back! The court form is not detialed as to who and when the child should have been returned- and there is no ? As to who the father is- The grandmother is solely doing that for the purpose of trying to hold us up in paperwork.
    The father and the mother are both fighting to see the child together- The grandmother WILL NOT LET THEM. Only when she feels like it. He has taken the grandmother to court along with the mother lt leaset every two years. Each time she says she wants to settle outside of court and agrees to let them see the daughter for awhile then all of a sudden she flips and won't answer the phone or takes off with the daughter- HE TRIES TO SEE HER. I could file a contempt charge on her for not following the standing visitation- However seeing as we are trying to modify it that would just be a waste.

Sep 22, 2009, 03:28 PM

Let me add to this- The father and mother have called the police to pick up daughter on said days and they say it is a civil matter- but we can show where they have both tried- as with numerous phone messages from the grandmother saying the daughter wants to see her parents but- the grandmother only wants that to happen on her terms- these are her words!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is an afffidavit of opposition and how to do one? [ 1 Answers ]

I let a friend of mine use my credit card,but I took her to court because did no make the payments. I went to court, but she did not show up, and the judge made his desicion base on my statements on my favor, now she appealed and we when to court again but for my sorprise she brough a lawyer, but...

Defendant opposition of motion seeking a default judgement [ 3 Answers ]

Need effective resons to oppose a default judgement where the plaintiff claims no response. I claim inproper service and i answered late

Motion for Opposition [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Florida, seminole county, with all the foreclosures going on, we got stuck in the midle of all this not being our fault. I currently have a private attorney handling this matter, but I am convinced that he did not file our discovery. After meeting with him, he states he did file the...

Going through the motions? [ 3 Answers ]

What does it mean for someone to be going through the motions in a relationship? Especially one that's been going on for a little over a year? My friend has been dating a girl for over a year and I always assumed he was happy because of Facebook comments the girl leaves and from an outsiders...

View more questions Search