Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 02:43 PM
    Poison Ivy and Other Plants - Pop the Blisters, or Not?
    Hi, All!

I've always wondered if a person should pop/drain the blisters or not, that they've gotten from coming into contact with a poisonous plant.

I've also gotten conflicting views about that...

What's the straight dope on this, please?

Thanks!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 21, 2009, 03:05 PM

No, you shouldn't touch the postules, clough, that is spreading them to other areas of your body. DO NOT SCRATCH. That is why you use a lotion(calamine) to stop itching, so they go away without spreading.

Tick
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 21, 2009, 03:10 PM

I agree, don't pop them. Poping will also open you up to a higher risk of infection. Never pop any type of blister even ones from gardening too much or hammering too much. The blister is your bodies way of creating an isolation area for a wound.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 21, 2009, 03:16 PM
    Blisters are blisters, regardless of where they come from. Popping/breaking them will produce an entry point for all kinds of infections.

I've heard the tales that fluid from the blisters will spread the rash, but unless the oils are still on the surface of your skin I can't see how. Warm water, detergent cleanser, and drying the rash are still the fastest ways to get rid of it. That's why Calamine is so good, it dries the rash out. Caladryl helps with the itch, too.
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 03:18 PM
    Hi, All!

When I was a kid though, I used to pop them. It seemed to me that they didn't scar up when I did that.

I'm always open for advice...

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 03:47 PM

At first sign of exposure, was with Octagon soap. Calamine lotion is also a good remedy.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 21, 2009, 03:50 PM
    Best stuff I have found for it is a prescription called Mometasone furoate. Dries it right up. My daughter had poison ivy covering almost her entire body earlier this summer. Gone in a day!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 21, 2009, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Best stuff I have found for it is a prescription called Mometasone furoate. Dries it right up. My daughter had poison ivy covering almost her entire body earlier this summer. Gone in a day!!
    Is that OTC? I'll get some if 'tis.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 07:00 PM

J_9 said prescription only: http://www.perrigo.com/uploadedFiles.../5D800RCJ1.pdf

Looks like it comes in a cream, ointment and a solution and pretty cheap based on prices at drugstore.com Online Pharmacy - Prescription Drugs, Health and Beauty, plus more

It might be similar to the active ingredient as in Nasonex nasal spray: http://www.spfiles.com/pinasonex.pdf

J_9
    What version was prescribed?
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Best stuff I have found for it is a prescription called Mometasone furoate. Dries it right up. My daughter had poison ivy covering almost her entire body earlier this summer. Gone in a day!!
    Hi, J_9!

So, was that stuff used without opening up the blisters, please?

Thanks!
    Expert

Sep 22, 2009, 05:38 AM
    The cream was prescribed.

That stuff was just rubbed over where the patches of the poison ivy are, no blisters were opened or popped.
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2009, 11:35 PM
    Hi again, J_9!

No blisters opened or popped? I wonder how such a cream works then..

Thanks!
    Expert

Sep 23, 2009, 05:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi again, J_9!

No blisters opened or popped? I wonder how such a cream works then...?

Thanks!
    It's a cortisone based cream, so it dries it right up.
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2009, 12:40 PM
    Hi again, J_9!

So, does it work the same way that a poultice might work? Please excuse my ignorance/lack of knowledge here! I'm just trying to find out information...

Thanks!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 08:01 PM

Ok, here's the skinny on poison ivy. I was the happy victim of poison ivy from my garden (again) this year. Got it on my left wrist. I used 91% alcohol on it as I was too lazy to use calamine lotion. Since I sleep on my left side and have my left wrist touching my right shoulder I got poison ivy on my right shoulder. It wasn't until I went out to the store and bought some fresh calamine lotion and slathered it on my left wrist and my right shoulder did the poison ivy go away. It does not matter if you pop the blisters or not as the poison ivy will infect another part of your skin if the infected part of your skin is touching an uninfected part. I'm living proof of being too stupid to buy fresh calamine lotion. When I did look at the bottle it had expired 7/03. Goes to show you how long I had that bottle!

Don't pop the blisters ever!!
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 08:20 PM
    Hi, twinkiedooter!

I can understand not popping the blisters due the possible spread of the infection. What I don't understand is if popping the blisters or not will cause scaring.

Thanks!
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2009, 08:28 PM

Haha this is off topic, but did you really say "what's the straight dope on this?" HAHAH You realize that not even young kids say that right Clough? :)
    I hope you were just being silly. :)
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 08:53 PM
    No, I didn't realize that young kids don't say that sort of thing anynore.

And no, I wasn't trying to be silly!

Thanks!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 09:03 PM

Clough - just FYI I didn't pop my blisters but I still had scarring on my wrist and my shoulder!
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2009, 09:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    No, I didn't realize that young kids don't say that sort of thing anynore.

And no, I wasn't trying to be silly!

Thanks!

I think when someone says "straight dope" it's the same as "wack" as in "ridiculous" or "bulls****"
    :)

Twinkie said "here's the skinny" That's the phrase I think you want to use, in that context.

A bit of an urban dictionary lesson. :)

Although, I don't really use slang.

Haha that made my day Clough. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog blisters [ 1 Answers ]

My grandaughter has a dog that had puppies about 5 weeks ago and is losing hair and now has blisters with yellow pus in them. What could it be

Poison sumac [ 1 Answers ]

Well my mom got poison sumac Really BADLY so she is sick and itchy I have to take care of her. I was wondering if you guys know how to treat it without going to the hospital. :)

Poison for Lizards [ 3 Answers ]

I know lizards are harmless but I am Terrified by them especiall about them enterng my house. If one got into my hose I would never enter it again. Is there a poison available to discourage them from being near my front door?

.rat poison and dogs [ 1 Answers ]

My Dog aterat poision when my grandparents were babysitting her! :eek:She went to th vet and is now fine... :)but she got put on Viteman K I was just wondering what it is? And what it does? Also she was malnurished when we got her and hs put on a lo of weight but you can still feel and see...

View more questions Search