Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babyjay0319 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2009, 11:46 AM
    Toilet Bubbles & Washing Machine Overflows
    Hello, I am a 1st Time Home Owner and Need Some Help / Advice, Any Help / Advice is greatly appreciated. I moved into my house last year in February. I got some help w/ the Housing Partnership so they had some requirements w/ the Home Inspection before I could move forwarad w/ the purchase of my house. The Washing Machine used to Drain onto the ground and they said they had to connect the Washing Machine Pipes / Drain or Whatever to the Septic Tank so the Previous Owner had this done. Also before I moved into my house, the Septic Tank was Pumped & Inspected. A while ago, I started noticing that the water would get real low in the toilet and would bubble when we washed clothes and when we took showers. Also, when we wash clothes water overflows from the hose. Then, stuff started coming up through the drain in the shower when we washed clothes so I got the septic tank pumped and that hasn't happened again but the toilet still bubbles, water still gets low in the toilet and when we wash clothes, water still overflows from the hose. Does anybody have any advice on what I need to do / check? Please help if you can.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 21, 2009, 12:04 PM

Your sewer system is vented to the outside via a vent stack which usually ends with a 3" or 4" pipe sticking out through the roof. The vent allows air in and out of the drains as water flushes through. Your stack is at least partially clogged. It can be rodded from the roof with a swer rodder long enough to run roof to basement floor and 20' more. Some folks try a short cut by taking a garden hose to the roof and running water down the stack, it can work for some clogs but not all.

Sep 21, 2009, 12:10 PM

Hello and thank you so much for replying so quickly. I really appreciate it and will try what you said to do.

Who do I call to do what you said to do?

Do you have an idea of how much it would cost?

Again, thank you so much for your quick response.

Sep 21, 2009, 12:13 PM

Many home owners would rod themselves while others would call a plumber who is willing to climb the roof with a machine. Rent a rodder yourself is around $35 per hour, pay a plumber-priceless. Plumber will likely charge a service call and labor time, anywhere from $150 on up depending on what he finds

Sep 21, 2009, 12:17 PM

That's funny! I will definitely pay a plumber. When I call around to get quotes from plumbers, what exactly do I say to them so I they'll know what I'm talking about? Please let me know, thanks!

Sep 21, 2009, 12:21 PM

Tell 3 plumber the same story. You have a ___ story house with a clogged vent stack and need the stack rodded. How much do you charge to come out and do that? A really good plumber will ask you many questions trying to figure out if you know what you are talking about because maybe he will think the problem lays else where as it may be.

Sep 21, 2009, 12:26 PM

Thank you so much, I will call plumbers, tell them what you said and will let you know what happens. I am new to this so I don't know how to rate your help, please let me know how to rate and I will. Thanks again!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 21, 2009, 12:30 PM
    Hi Jay,
    I really hate to tell a new homeowner this but you have multiple problems.
    Does the toilet bubble or gurgle at you? The washer standpipe back up problem can be fixed by adding a fitting(see image) on the stand pipe and making it a closed system. You can accomplish the same thing by duct taping the hose to the standpipe.
    But your biggest problem and expense will come on down the line with the failure of the drain field. Let me explain.
    The Washing Machine used to Drain onto the ground and they said they had to connect the Washing Machine Pipes / Drain or Whatever to the Septic Tank so the Previous Owner had this done. Also before I moved into my house, the Septic Tank was Pumped & Inspected. A while ago, I started noticing that
    Garbage disposals and washers are the two mane causes of drain fields clogging up and failing. I think you're beginning to experience that now with the septic tank having to be pumped so often.
    In my area when we plumb a house with a septic tank we always route the washer and kitchen drains through a grease trap,(see image) before allowing the liquid to proceed to the septic tank. This is because the lint, fiber and garbage, if they run through the septic tank and out into the drain field, will clog the openings in the drain field pipes and cause the drainfield to shut down. This will not b e noticed until the septic tank fills up and you get backups in the house. Then the tanks pumped out and the whole thing starts over again. It may be too late now but I'd contact the contractor that did the work to ask if you have a grease trap. Relocating a drain field can be a very expensive proposition. Good luck, Tom

Sep 21, 2009, 01:28 PM

The toilet bubbles... it goes bloop, bloop, bloop... Do I still need to get the vent rodded out if the toilet goes bloop, bloop, bloop and the water gets low?

Thank you for all the information and all the pictures but I don't know what a standpipe is? Who do I call about getting this standpipe thing done?

So you think I should try to contact the person who connected the washing machine to the septic and ask them if I have a grease trap? If I can't find out who did this or get in contact w/ them could I have someone install this grease trap?

I appreciate all your help.

Thanks.

Sep 21, 2009, 02:24 PM

You won't notice the backup for awhile since they pumped 1000 gallons out of the tank or more. Once the tank fills then it will allow black water (sewage water) to enter the field tile where it both soaks in and evaporates. The low water in the toilet while washer is running still says clogged vent to me. Like Tom says, you may have multiple issues but a vent is one of them. In my area washer drain into a utility sink or right into a drain line with no special grease trap. Codes must vary or installers have their preferred ways/

Sep 21, 2009, 02:36 PM

I'm going to check out the vent and will let you know what happens. I called 1 plumber, explained to him the situation, told him what you suggested and he said he will rod the main line out and will check the one on the roof too. $96.00 an hour plus $15.00 for the machine. I have to save some money to get this done, then I'll let you know what happens.

Let me ask you... what do you mean when you say - In my area washer drain into a utility sink or right into a drain line with no special grease trap.

I have to leave now but will log in tomorrow morning.

Thanks.

Sep 21, 2009, 03:03 PM

Tom. My good friend and licensed plumber, pointed out that washer, in his area, go through a grease trap before the septic system. I was pointing out that this requirement was a regional thing and not required everywhere. We drain directly into the same drain for sinks, tubs shower and washers.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 21, 2009, 03:25 PM
    I'm amazed that a grease trap isn't mandated by all codes. A septic tank will not process or biodegrade lint or fiber and kitchen grease and garbage speak for themselves. Your drainfielf shows signs of failing as we speak. If the septic tank has to be pumped frequently it night pay you to have your drainfield checked. I wish you well and good luck in the future. Yom

Sep 22, 2009, 06:42 AM

The first thing I should do is get the main line & the one on the roof rodded out, right?

Then, I should look into getting the drainfield checked, right? Who do I call to get this checked, a plumber or a septic tank company?

In reference to that grease trap... is there any way to tell if I have one now? If not, could I get one added?

Do you think I should make the washer empty onto the ground like it was before I moved in?
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 22, 2009, 07:12 AM
    The first thing I should do is get the main line & the one on the roof rodded out, right?
    The first thing I would do is check the septic to see if the level has risen above the outlet tee. If it has then pump the tank. If it hasn't then snake the sewer line.
    Then, I should look into getting the drainfield checked, right? Who do I call to get this checked, a plumber or a septic tank company?
    If the septic tank needs to be pumped on a frequent basis I would call in a septic system company to check the drainfield.
    In reference to that grease trap... is there any way to tell if I have one now? If not, could I get one added?
    My bet is that you don't have one installed. Check with the previous owner. One can always be added if you wish.
    Do you think I should make the washer empty onto the ground like it was before I moved in?
    No! To stay within the law gray water must go into the septic tank. Good luck, Tom

Sep 22, 2009, 07:40 AM

I just had the tank pumped like a month ago so I hope it doesn't have to be pumped again...

Do I call a septic company or plumber to check to see if the level has risen?

When you say to snake the sewer line, is that the same thing as getting it rodded out?
    If so, do I say sewer line or main line or is it the same thing?
    Do I get the one on the roof done too?
    Does a plumber snake the sewer line or a septic company?

I would check w/ the previous owner regarding the grease trap but they are not helpful at all. They told me if I had any questions to give them a call, and when I had a question when I first moved in, they rushed me off the phone and never called me back.

Who could install the grease trap... a plumber?

What do you think will make the water stop coming out of the hose and onto the floor when I wash clothes? Could a plumber fix that?

Thank you for your advice.
    Janet

Sep 22, 2009, 07:59 AM

A plumber could do everything. A sewer contractor can too and he mat also be a plumber by trade. Either guy can dig down and open the tank lid, don't try it yourself. They can then see if thetank became over filled causing a backup or is the backup up stream closer to the house. The pipe from the house to the tank rarely clogs. The pipe from the tank to the distribution box before the field can clog more frequently and usually can't be rodded, just replaced.

Sep 22, 2009, 08:24 AM

If the drainfield is clogged, is that something that's a minor fix or a major fix?

To make the water stop coming out of the hose and onto the floor when I wash clothes, is that a minor fix or a major fix?

Is rodding the line out the same as snaking the sewer line out?

How about the grease trap, is that a simple fix?

Thanks,
    Janet

Sep 22, 2009, 08:46 AM

A clogged drain field could run $6000 so lets start praying something else is at fault. The water comes out onto the floor because your drain line can't drain or can't drain fast enough. That could be a clogged drain line or, worst case, the tank and field are full, very bad. I think we are at the point when you need to call in a plumber. If you never did any rodding of a stack or drain today may not be the day to start. Hire a pro and watch how he does it.

Sep 22, 2009, 11:00 AM

I am praying that it will be OK. How bad is it when it's clogged drain line as far as expense? Do they just unclog it? How do you prevent it from being clogged again? I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I'm just trying to get a little familiar w/ everything. Once I get the plumber to come out to my house, do I explain to them what's going on or just tell them to open the tank, check it, and do all the other things? Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Janet

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet bubbles when washing machine empties [ 13 Answers ]

When my washing machine empties into the washtub, the nearby toilet has recently (about the past four - five months) started to have big air bubbles come out of the toilet bowl, making a very loud bwoop bwoop bwoop sound. The bubbles are so large that they actually cause water to splash on the...

Washing Machine Overflows [ 4 Answers ]

My washing machine, Kenmore model # 110.49722991 (apartment size) doesn't sense how much water is in the tub and will continue to fill until it overflows. Twice now I have flooded my apartment with 2" of water. I don't think I will try for three. :eek: Can it be fixed or should I just get another....

Washing machine that overflows [ 2 Answers ]

I have a washing machine that occasionally will not stop filling with water in the initial fill cycle or the rinse cycle and overflows. Anyone know what might be the problem and how hard it would be to fix it? I bought a new one and tried to find a repair company that would take the old one off my...

Downstairs toilet bubbles when washing machine drains [ 3 Answers ]

Our house is about 30 years old and is connected to city sewer. The downstairs bathroom was unfinished so I got a plumbing permit from the city and installed plumbing for the tub, toilet, and sink and then finished the bathroom. The inspector approved my plumbing about a week ago. I noticed...

Downstairs toilet overflows when dishwasher or washing machine is emptying [ 2 Answers ]

When dishwasher and/or washing machine is emptying the downstairs toilet overflows. There is sometimes a bubbling or gurgling sound. Sometimes a little and sometimes a lot. We do have a septic tank, about 5 years old. There is no sewage involved in the overflow just the wash waste waster. A few...

View more questions Search