Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Sep 21, 2009, 11:45 AM
    Pump wiring
    Instructions state prepare a three core electrical set with plug. Okay
    Loosen the two copper screws marked with "V1 W1 & U1 and fasten the electric
    Power leads to them.
    But which one is hot(Black) and which one is Neutral(white) or does it matter.
    I know where the terminal for the green ground wire goes. 110 volt motor.

There is another terminal they do not mention it the instructions v2-U2
    Sit away from the rest? Must be for something else?
    See picture V1-W1 terminal has a red wire and a black wire going to it. U1 terminal has a black wire going to it.

So which terminal get the hot wire?Name:  correct pum wiring.jpg
Views: 6271
Size:  26.3 KB
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 21, 2009, 01:55 PM

Please only post in one location.
    Attached Images

ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Sep 21, 2009, 02:21 PM
    The U-V-W nomenclature is an IEC (European) standard, I have never seen it used on a single phase motor, but I don't do that much single phase work. (The NEMA, or American standard uses numbers to mark the wires instead of letters)

There are three coils inside the motor, the U coil, V coil, and W coil. The ends of each coil are marked 1 and 2: U1 and U2, V1 and V2, W1 and W2, etc. (U1 and U2 are the two ends of the U coil, etc) There also has to be a W2 wire, which is probably connected internally. My guess is the U and V coils are the run winding, which can be connected for 120 or 240 volt operation, and the W coil is the start coil?? But this is just a guess. I'm hoping someone from the metric world can answer this.

Motor manufacturers bring out all these leads to the connection box so the motor can be reversed, or wired for different voltages. The U2-V2 terminal is for one of these functions.

Most likely, since this is a pump, and has been configured for the American market, the pump manufacturer probably pre-wired the motor for the correct voltage and rotation, so just connect it per the instructions and don't get wrapped around the axle about the other stuff.

Oh, and it doesn't matter which terminal the hot wire goes to on a motor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pump Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

How do you wire a Pentair 110V/220V 1HP pump to 110V? The diagram indicates connecting to BROWN at the top and L2. There is a brown wire on the bottom but no screw to connect to. The top wire is WHITE but again no screw to connect to. There are only two screws to connect to and they are labeled...

Heat pump wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I have a heatpump and gas furnace and wirinmg up a new thermastat honeywell visionpro8000 and will not turn the heat pump on possible wiring wrong? Colors are y-g-r-w-b and the heat pump wires are y-w-r-b-o The thermastat has on it y2-l-e-aux-s1-s2- left side heat pump and right side Heatpump...

Underground wiring - well pump [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am trying to run this AWG 6-2CU UF-B underground feeder cable from the basement to an outdoor well pump controller. This is a three wire (two isolated + ground) cable that is to be connected at 240Vac from the main panel and routed out for about 200ft. The controller is supposed to limit...

Pool pump wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I've a 220 V, singele phase, 1 HP pool pump with recommended 14 wire size. The wire bundle contains blank, white, and a ground. I'm trying to install a time switch to control the pump operation but not so sure about the wiring connection. My question is which color of wire is going to the load?...

View more questions Search