Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeh527 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2009, 11:39 AM
    Line voltage thermostat
    We bought a condo last year that was built in 1977 and need to replace the old electric heat ( 220 Volt ) thermostats. They seem to be a DPST type ( it has an off position ), there are only 2 wires on the back off the thermostat - 1 red with 2 black wires attached and a black wire with a black wire attached. The electrical box on the wall only has 6 wires, 3 black and 3 white that are pigged tail toghter. We would like to install the newer type digital thermostats that have 4 wires, 2 red & 2 black. Can these be installed with this set up. Could the 2 black wires that are attached to the red wire on the thermostat be the 2 coming from the line side of the panel??
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 22, 2009, 06:01 AM

Check with the condo's association before you do anything. Typically any electrical work done in a condo has to be done by a licensed electrician.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Digital Thermostat for Line Voltage Heating AND Cooling? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello folks, I live in a condo in a relatively old building (~65 years) which uses line voltage thermostat controls (120/240V) for both heating and cooling (the heating and cooling source is a convector - they switch the building from heating to cooling every season). I'm trying to find a...

Thermostat: single pole, 22amp, in line voltage [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mid 1990s electric wall heater that is wired to a King, 22 amp, in-line voltage, single pole thermostat. Is it possible to upgrade this to a digital thermostat - and if so, what brand model would you recommend (if one exists)? Thanks in advance.

Which thermostat to use/line voltage [ 2 Answers ]

Hi,question? After a lot of reading and research I believe I have line voltage thermostats (honeywell T451A 1025 2)two wires 1-black 1-white (heavy gauge wiring) went to boiler and checked location and white connects to B2 andC2 and black connects to B1 and C1.My question is wanting to go with...

Replacement for medium line voltage thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have an old Honeywell T451A medium line voltage (120V) thermostat for a FHW by oil system. The thermostat mounts vertically and I would like to replace it with a modern (setback) type unit to save energy. I am having trouble trying to find a replacement as most are for straight electric...

View more questions Search