Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    day26 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2009, 09:44 AM
    401K 10% tax penalty WAIVER
    I was laid off in May form my company. My 401k was placed into an account at heiwitt and I am now in need to request a payment due to hardship. Is there a way to waiver th 10% tax penalty?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 21, 2009, 10:52 AM

The only exceptions to having to pay the 10% early withdrawal penalty for people under 59-1/2 years of age are:

• Distributions after your separation from service in or after the year you reached age 55 (age 50 for qualified public safety employees).
    • Distributions made as part of a series of substantially equal periodic payments (made at least annually) for your life (or life expectancy) or the joint lives (or joint life expectancies) of you and your designated beneficiary (if from an employer, the payments must begin after separation from service) - this is known as a section 72(t) withdrawal
    • Distributions due to total and permanent disability.
    • Distributions due to death (you are the beneficiary of a deceased plan participant).
    • You have unreimbursed medical expenses that are more than 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.
    • Distributions to an alternate payee under a qualified domestic relations order.
    • Distributions due to an IRS levy of the plan.
    • Distributions to reservists while serving on active duty for at least 180 days.

Note that there is no excluson for "hardship" per se.
    seagull2012 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2012, 11:37 PM
    I had heard that there is also a waiver for first home purchase. Is that true?

Also, if it is, does it apply for foreign nationals, who are returning to their home country and buying their first home in their home country?
    Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 05:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by seagull2012 View Post
    I had heard that there is also a waiver for first home purchase. Is that true?

Also, if it is, does it apply for foreign nationals, who are returning to their home country and buying their first home in their home country?
    If the withdrawal is from a 401(k) there is no exception to the 10% early withdrawal penalty for home purchase. But if it's from an IRA then yes - up to $10K may be exempt if the withdrawal is used to purchase a first home. Just to confuse the issue - taking money from a 401(k) to help finance the purchase of a home is considered a "hardship" withdrawal, and as such your employer is required to allow you to make such a withdrawal if you want. However - that does not mean that the money is exempt either from the 10% penalty or income tax.

As for withdrawals by foreign nationals - be aware that 30% will be withheld for taxes on withdrawals.
    seagull2012 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2012, 10:52 PM
    Hi,

Thank you for the response. So for the IRA withdrawal, can I use this money to buy the land for my home? What paperwork do I need to submit for that?

Please let me know.

Thanks!
    Expert

Jun 23, 2012, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by seagull2012 View Post
    So for the IRA withdrawal, can I use this money to buy the land for my home? What paperwork do I need to submit for that?!
    Yes, you should be able to use a withdrawal from an IRA to pay for land that will be used to buy or build your first-time home, up to $10K, without the 10% early withdrawal penalty. I suggest you call your IRA custodian to ask how this works.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Early IRA distribution - requirements for hardship waiver of 10% penalty [ 10 Answers ]

Where can I find the specific requirements and procedure for obtaining a hardship waiver of the 10% penalty for early distribution from a traditional IRA?

401k penalty [ 3 Answers ]

If you were to pull money out of a 401k and have to pay the taxes on the early withdrawal - I understand this cost. The question that I have is that if you put in say $100,000 into the 401k and it is only worth $80,000 now, are you able to write off the $20,000 in reduced value? The logic is...

401k tax and penalty [ 2 Answers ]

An associate of mine has a 401k and wants to invest some of it in an annuity, Will it be taxed or penalized if it goes straight in there ? Thank you for any help

Tax Penalty on 401K [ 5 Answers ]

I am just divorced and am receiving 401K in a large sum. If I stay below $125,000 gross income will I stay at 25% tax penalty.

401k penalty [ 2 Answers ]

First time homebuying classifies for the non pentalty right? How do they tax, before you receive it or add it to your yearly income come tax time.

View more questions Search