Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Oct 30, 2006, 05:26 AM
    Who determines if something is official
    I wasn't sure what subject to put this under so if this is the wrong place, my apologies. Anyway. I made a fan club for a favorite band of mine. Mine is the first one that was made for them. Well my site was noticed by the band and I got a few messages from them thanking me. Well boom other people that joined my club see this and they all go off and make their own club for the same band. I would like to put that my club Is the official fan club so that people understand although there are other clubs I was there first. but I don't know if its my place to determine if if official or not even though it is the first one.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2006, 06:05 AM
    I don't know the legal answer but will suggest that I think it would be in the eye of the "beholder"... and in this case, the band.

I can't imagine anyone other than them complaining of the use of the word Official... so I'd suggest asking the band flat out if they would mind your calling it that...

You could just take your chances and put it up that way... but you'd risk their thinking less of you if they did not like you calling it that... and it sounds like they DO appreciate you... so I'd just ask them.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2006, 06:19 AM
    The bonus of contacting them is, if they agree, they could put you in touch with their marketing for exclusive content.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 30, 2006, 06:45 AM
    The only one that can term something as official (in a case like this) is the object of the site. It is up to the band to give this designation. Since you have established a rapport with them, simply ask if you can list your stie as the official fan site. But do it first before one of your competitors gets the idea.

You may have a couple of points in your favor, if you registered a domain name, you have the date of registration to allow you to state you were the first (assuming that's true). You also have notes from the band, hopefully dated.
    Kohoutek Posts: 83, Reputation: 3

Oct 30, 2006, 08:57 AM
    I have a similar situation with a website I run. I asked the person that the site was about whether it could be dubbed 'official' but he said he preferred it as it was because it felt much more personal. I also guess there could be the issue that the person running the website could try and charge the object of the site for the pleasure so they may be wary about that! The best thing to do would be ask the band, and if they say yes, then all's well. If they'd prefer NOT to have an official fan site, then ask if you can have some contacts from them (PR people, PA's, Agents etc) so at least if there are lots of other websites out there, yours will have all the information first off, and you'll receive loads of goodies to review etc!

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search