Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JCel Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2009, 06:07 PM
    How to retrive all related data from different sheets according to the user's input?
    Hi there,

I want to connect two different excel sheet in the manner as follows:

Consider I'm using sheet1 with fields like prod_id & prod_name with their data (1,2,3,4,5) and (a,b,c,d,e) respectively.

Now if I enter the prod_id as 3 in sheet2, then I need all the other fields related to it, to be automatically retrived from sheet1..
    i.e the prod_name related to the given prod_id... e.g.. If I enter 3 as prod_id then I should get its prod_name as c!

Is it possible to do with excel? If yes,Please do guide me with step by step instructions..
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 20, 2009, 06:42 PM

Its possible, But this is really better suited for a database. Do you have Access?

Sep 20, 2009, 07:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Its possible, But this is really better suited for a database. Do you have Access?
    Yes I do have Access 07'

Sep 20, 2009, 07:55 PM

What is the purpose of your application? There may be a template you can start from.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 21, 2009, 12:17 AM

In Excel, the formulas you can use to lookup row values from a matching "code" are:

LOOKUP() - (database sheet must be sorted ascending, but whole rows/columns are allowed)
    VLOOKUP() - (data doesn't have to be sorted, but only returns values to the right, and whole columns are not allowed)
    HLOOKUP() - (data doesn't have to be sorted, but only returns values from below, and whole rows are not allowed)
    INDEX/MATCH - (suffers from no limitations described above, whole columns/rows can be used and results can be returned from any direction)

Here's a sample sheet showing items being retrieved from a row-style database on one sheet to another sheet. You can see the structure of all three approaches. They all work fine, but obviously I'm a fan of INDEX/MATCH first and foremost.

Index/Match take a little more effort to learn, but not much, and it completely replaces all those other functions, so that's my vote. But use whichever you find most useful for you situation.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: xls IndexMatch-Simple.xls (30.0 KB, 200 views)

Sep 21, 2009, 05:43 AM

Like I said and JB showed it is possible to do in Excel. However, your data has to be in a table format to use any of the functions he listed. I got the impression you were entering data more as a form (why would you need a separate sheet for each record otherwise).

Excel is fine as a database when used for flat data. But when you want to relate your data, as your question indicates you do, then a real database is a better tool.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 21, 2009, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I got the impression you were entering data more as a form (why would you need a separate sheet for each record otherwise).

From this:
    Quote Originally Posted by JCel View Post
    I'm using sheet1 with fields like
    prod_id, prod_name with their data (1,2,3,4,5) and (a,b,c,d,e) respectively.

Now if i enter the prod_id as 3 in sheet2, then i need all the other fields related to it, to be automatically retrieved from sheet1..
    I read that as one database sheet and other sheet(s) he wants to draw info TO from that database sheet, exactly like you and I are saying. I don't think that's 1 sheet per record.

Sep 21, 2009, 07:36 PM
    Hi all,

Thank you for your replies... Since I'm new to Excel I don't have clear idea about its conditional functionalities but now I'm clear with some concepts like LookUp... Thanks for that.

Ok My actual scenario is :

(Sheet_1-->purchase details) in which I have already stored 500 records so I don't know how to switch over to the Relational Databases.

Now in (Sheet_2---->Sales Details) I sold only 100-150 products that's why I want to relate my Sheet_1 with Sheet_2.

Also here in sheet_2 I should not enter the same prod_id twice bcoz I can sell my product only once, so if I enter the id again it should give me an alert as "You have already entered this prod_id!"

Hope you understood the scenario...

Regards,
    JCel.

Sep 22, 2009, 01:48 AM

There are some invoicing or Order and Inventory templates for Access, that I suggest you look at.

So, what it looks like you are doing is tracking inventory and sales, correct?

If so, a database is truly the best tool for this. If you look at some of the templates you may see that.

Unless you are tracking each specific item you sell individually your premise is incorrect. If you are selling a big ticket item like cars or boats or heavy machinery, you might track each individual item by VIN or serial number or other such identifier.

But if you are tracking a fairly large number of products that you make or sell, then tracking in individual toaster (for example) is inappropriate. The Inventory tracking model that involves movement of items generally uses a structure with tables like so; Products, Sales, Purchase Orders and Transactions. The Products table contains information about the products you buy, sell and/or manufacture. The sales table contains info about each sale to a customer. The PO table contains info about each purchase of product. The Transactions table ties everything together but providing detail about each movement of stock.

So, lets say you purchase 1000 widgets and 1000 thingees from Supplier A. You would create a PO record of the purchase with 2 transactions indicating the purchase. The next day, you sell 100 widgets and 50 thingees to Customer A. So you create a Sales record and 2 more transactions indicating the sale. If you want to calculate inventory you add the Incoming transactions and subtract the outgoing to get your inventory.

It shouldn't be difficult to import your existing data into Access. Its simply a matter of matching the fields.

Sep 22, 2009, 05:00 PM

Hi Scott,

What you are saying is correct... but I don't know how to import Excel into Access! And the inventory templates are not satisfactory..

Also if I enter the prod_id again it should give me an alert as "You have already entered this prod_id!"-How to get this?

Sep 22, 2009, 05:14 PM

You set Prod_ID as a primary key for that table. Where it should probably be a Foreign Key (Duplicates OK) in the table you want to enter another one.

As to getting the Excel data, link to the excel table and then create an Append query.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compare related data stored in two or more excel sheets [ 18 Answers ]

How to compare related data stored in two or more different excel sheets? For example, annual sales figure of a number of companies relating to two OR more years available in different excel sheets? Either by grouping (pooling) the data into a single excel sheet or otherwise?

Retrive data from another spreadsheet [ 15 Answers ]

Hello I have a macro that retrives data into a template. But I need to have the macro retrieve from the other file no matter what the name is. Ok lets say I have opened spreadsheet named 10971. The macro opens the blank template file and populates correctly. This works good. But I want to have...

How to retrive data from database in phased manner using jsp [ 1 Answers ]

I want to show data(that are retrived from database) in phased maner in the web browser.I want to say that I have supoose 12 records present in database.first only 4 records are to be shown,then when pressing a "next" button next 4 records to be shown in web browser and so on.

Financial statements and using excel to input data [ 1 Answers ]

It is so difficult to input data in excel ( not hard coded numbers but linking numbers) Can anyone explain how to do that If I have the given information on the first sheet of excel i.e the data entry sheet. How can I enter data on other sheets for different statements like trial balance,...

Trying to find a data input job to do at home [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a legitimate data input/entry job I can do from home, I am a very hard worker. I have looked online but most of them are scams. So if anyone can help I will be very greatfull. Thank you in advance.

View more questions Search