Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rekui Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2009, 08:49 AM
    No warm water in shower but warm water in sinks.
    Hi,

I have the follwing problem: the warm water supply to the shower is not working properly although the sinks in the bathroom and kitchen have warm water.

The shower itself is working fine (I removed and cleaned it). Then I disconnected the pipes and noticed that there is hardly warm water coming out of the warm water pipe.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
    Rene
    Cedarln2265 Posts: 193, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2009, 10:34 AM

One place to start is trace the hot water pipe back to the hot water heater. Check for leaks and if none check the hot water heater. Good luck
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 20, 2009, 12:25 PM
    We're going to hafta get together on terms Rene,
    Warm= about 75 or 80 degrees. Hot= 110 to 120 degrees. Now, are you talking warm or hot? Are the other faucets "warm" or "hot"?
    I disconnected the pipes and noticed that there is hardly warm water coming out of the warm water pipe.
    When you disconnected the pipe did you let it run until the cool water was run out or did you simply test a cup full? Please give us more details. Regards, Tom

Sep 20, 2009, 01:19 PM
    Hi Tom,

First of all thanks your help.

I used the cooking thermometer and it came close to the first digit, so the “warm” water coming out of the other taps must be around 50C or 120F.

When disconnecting the shower pipes I filled a bucket.

Something else that I forgot to mention is that there is hardly any water coming out of the warm water pipe of the shower (just a weak stream) compared to cold water stream.

Rgds,
    Rene
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 20, 2009, 02:29 PM
    Are you complaining about the temperature, the lack of pressure or both?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 20, 2009, 03:06 PM

Okay, can you tell us if you notice any difference at all between the hot pressure and the cold pressure at any other faucets. If the nipples on top of the water heater have become partially plugged, you will notice the drop in hot water in the tub or shower more than anywhere else. This is because you are using a higher volume of water in the shower, so the pressure drop is more noticeable than in sinks where the volume use is lower, so you may have to pay close attention to see if hot water pressure is lower in sinks than cold in sinks. The hot and cold pressures should be exactly the same. Please let me know what you find. Lee.

Sep 21, 2009, 06:20 AM

Hi Tom,
    It's the temperature that is the problem, the pressure of the shower is fine.

Hi Lee,
    Interesting... the warm water pressure is about 2/3 of the cold water pressure in kitchen sink. Where can I find those nipples? Is that something I can do myself or do I need a plumber?

Thanks.
    Rene
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 21, 2009, 06:34 AM
    Where can I find thoseheat trap nipples? Is that something I can do myself or do I need a plumber?
    You'll find the heat trap nipples, (see image) on top of the heater coming out of the inlet and output ports. If you suspect them replace with 3/4" brass nipples. Good luck, Tom

Sep 21, 2009, 11:31 AM

Thanks to the both of you!

Is this something that I can replace myself or do I need to get a plumber in?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 21, 2009, 03:59 PM

Depends on your level of confidence in possibly having to solder some joints. Just take a close look at the top of your water heater and see if you have a good idea how to remove the nipples(do you have to cut pipe, or are there unions there). If you can post a pic of the top of water heater, we will try to give you suggestions. If you have the extra money, I say get a plumber into do it, as it will only take them a short time to do. IF hot water pressure is lower than cold, I say lets get that fixed before we move on, as it will probably solve the temp problem. Good luck. Lee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Warm water (not hot) in the shower [ 1 Answers ]

I only have warm wter in the shower while the other sinks have hot water. The shower plumbing is about 6 years old and the problem just started recently. The faucet is a single handle preasure balance type.

HOT sinks but only warm shower [ 16 Answers ]

I have never posted anything before but I don't know where else to turn. I just moved into this apt on the 4th. I have only warm water in the shower for about 5-10 minutes. We have an electric 29 gallon whirlpool water heater. We called the landlord and he came out yesterday sayinbg the electrical...

Just warm water - In the stand-alone shower [ 9 Answers ]

My question is just slightly different than briang30's so forgive me for starting a new post. We recently moved into a 25 year old home in August of last year. The master bathroom stand-alone shower will get warm, but not hot. Also it takes about 7 minutes for it to get to the "warm" mark. ...

Luke warm water from shower [ 3 Answers ]

Over the last few months I have noticed that my shower is not producing hot water the way that it used to. The sink tap gives out hot water, just not the shower anymore. I have noticed that when I flush the toilet there is an added burst of pressure from the shower. Do you have any idea what this...

View more questions Search