Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    qenDf939 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2009, 03:46 AM
    HVAC blower motor will not turn off
    Carrier Model 58ES080-30 HVAC blower motor will not turn off. Help?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 20, 2009, 08:06 AM
    First check to be sure the thermostat blower switch is in automatic (auto) on the thermostat. Sometimes people turn the blower switch to on instead of automatic by mistake.

Then if that is not the problem it is usually the fan relay in the furnace that gets stuck.

Sep 20, 2009, 10:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    First check to be sure the thermostat blower switch is in automatic (auto) on the thermostat. Sometimes people turn the blower switch to on instead of automatic by mistake.

Then if that is not the problem it is usually the fan relay in the furnace that gets stuck.
    Wow, such a fast reply! Thanks. The thermostat blower switch is in AUTO, so it must be the fan relay. How do I find the fan relay? It it also known as a limit switch?

Sep 20, 2009, 10:55 AM
    Usually the item is not called a limit but older furnaces have a combination control called a fan and limit control. Look on the back side of the blower door for a wiring diagram

Sep 20, 2009, 12:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    Usually the item is not called a limit but older furnaces have a combination control called a fan and limit control. Look on the back side of the blower door for a wiring diagram
    It is an older Carrier Model # 58ES080-30. If there was a wiring diagram, it's long gone. I can play around with switches inside the furnace. Would it have only two wires going to it?

Sep 20, 2009, 01:19 PM
    That unit is from back in 1972 to 1975 and yes it is old as in very old. I would suggest you have the heat excahnger tested by a professional.

Now back to the unit

Thete are fan and limit controls like the pictures below. This could be causing your problem. Some of them also have a push-pull or turn off and on switch that could be causing the problem.
    Attached Images

mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 20, 2009, 03:58 PM

HVAC1000 is on to your culprit. Let us know if you have this control in your furnace. IF not, you may have a simple high limit (two wires on face of heat exchanger) that has failed. This would cause blower to run nonstop. I also agree about having the heat exchanger tested by a pro, as a leaky heat exchanger will cause higher temps causing this problem, and also can be deadly due to carbon monoxide entering the home through heat vents.

Now, my true thoughts,, with a furnace that old, its time to seriously start thinking about replacement. Even if it's a simple fix, your putting money into a dying horse. Just put the thing to rest. Its had a long hard life,(oh, if furnaces could talk). Good luck and please let us know how things work out. Lee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car hvac blower motor will not stop running [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2005 impala with a 3.4 V-6. The hvac blower motor will not stop running, even with the car turned off. The only way I can stop it is to pull the 30amp fuse from under the hood. Any suggestions?

Hvac blower motor not working [ 2 Answers ]

HVAC blower motor does not come on in either the heat mode, a/c mode. Or fan only mode. However, it comes on in emergency heat mode. Any ideas what might be wrong?

HVAC Trane xv80 blower motor [ 2 Answers ]

Trane XV80 Installed 2002 My blower does not come on; I turned t-stat to fan only; fan motor felt cold to touch and turns freely when spyn: defeateded the safety switch on front; checked voltage at the leads from the circuit board to fan motor for the white and black leads(124 v); Should I...

HVAC blower motor--screwed up wiring-- HELP [ 11 Answers ]

Relaced blower motor, but wires are different from old motor--can hear it click on, but nothing else. Have part and model numbers for old motor (GE), new motor (Dayton-PSC), and HVAC (Goodman) Please Help-- am burning up here--(south texas)

View more questions Search