Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tene08 Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Sep 19, 2009, 11:08 PM
    Teachers and salary
    Why does salary deter people from becoming teachers?
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2009, 11:23 PM

It doesn't!
    I am a retired teacher and I have 6 teachers in my family.
    No one ever thought about money.
    Teachers do what they do because they love to teach and they love kids and they love to make this world a better place.
    If you truly wanted to teach,money would not dissuade you.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Sep 20, 2009, 02:29 PM

I have to disagree with the previous post. Some people would like to switch careers to become teachers and make a difference, but they cannot afford to live on a beginning teacher's salary.
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Mar 4, 2010, 10:40 PM

Some people don't want to enter the teaching field because there is the opportunity to make much, much more in a white collar job. I stress the word "opportunity" because of the lack of job security.

I've been teaching for 8 years and I am lucky enough to be in a well-paying district. My wife's pay scale is quite the opposite. My wife has been teaching for 5 years and it will take her another 15 years to reach my current salary!

Art lady is partially correct. If you were really meant to be a teacher you will find a way to make it work for you. Millions and millions of people learn to live very happy lives with much less than teachers. I have thought about it many times during my first year as a teacher and there is no other profession I could picture myself in.

That being said, you do need to put food on your table and pay your bills. That's where I agree with teacherjenn.
    sulphurbulldog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2010, 03:05 PM
    Perhaps the answer lies in where you live. Prime jobs are in well-paying districts with students whose parents see to it that their children do their own work. If your job is in Oklahoma, where teacher pay is 48th to 50th in the nation, and if your students have "entitlement issues", teaching can be much less rewarding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home country salary from US salary [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a L1 visa holder from india and was working in Massachusetts from aug 2005 to dec 2005 as a contractor from my original company in india. I used to receive the US salary from aug 2005 to dec 2005 for which I have the W2. During the same period I also used to receive my indian...

Former Teachers? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been teaching for nearly four years now, and I have got to say I really don't enjoy it. It's not the subject matter (Chemistry, Science and Math) that bothers me, or the students. I love interacting with them. I just don't enjoy the politics of teaching. I wonder if there are any former...

New People, New Teachers, New Everything [ 3 Answers ]

Ok I really need help with middle school. New People, New Teachers, New Everything! How do you stay organized?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: HELP!!

Salary vs Hourly, punching a clock on salary. [ 2 Answers ]

My company put me on salary a few years back. I still have to work overtime and I still have to punch a time card, I just dont get paid for any overtime hours. Also I have not gotten the standard raise that I used to get anymore. I was wondering is this fair practice?

View more questions Search