Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2009, 04:47 PM
    End of the world
    Hey this is something I've been wondering about. Im sure this is not Chritianity but I would love to know what you guys think. Many people are saying the world is coming to an end when the maya calender ends which is in 2012. Do you believe its true?
    snippy07 Posts: 84, Reputation: 6

Sep 19, 2009, 04:52 PM

I don't believe so, they probably just all died before they could finish the calender or something.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 04:52 PM

Not at all. This sort of prediction is nothing new. There have been end of the world predictions over many, many years... for generations... long before anyone alive today was even born. Obviously, none have come to pass.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 19, 2009, 04:56 PM

There is always a "end" of some kind
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2009, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    there is always a "end" of some kind
    What do you mean?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 04:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    there is always a "end" of some kind
    True... I guess sooner or later someone will be correct... :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 19, 2009, 05:01 PM

Alles hat ein ende nur die wurst hat zwei. ;)

It means;

Everything has an end, only a sausage has two. :)

No, I don't believe it, just like I didn't believe Y2K.
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2009, 05:02 PM

The bible said, God's day will come as a thief, so perhaps no one knows when it will come?

But then again its just what some religion believes.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 19, 2009, 05:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by none12345 View Post
    The bible said, God's day will come as a thief, so perhaps no one knows when it will come?

But then again its just what some religion believes.
    "God" or the bible, has predicted the end of the world before. Those days came and went
    And nothing happened.

What you have to remember is, that even if the bible was written by God (which I don't believe) it's man that interprets it and man is fallible.
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2009, 05:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    "God" or the bible, has predicted the end of the world before. Those days came and went
    and nothing happened.

What you have to remember is, that even if the bible was written by God (which I don't believe) it's man that interprets it and man is fallible.
    Where did the bible predicted the end of the world before?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2009, 02:48 PM
    Not the end
    Quote Originally Posted by none12345 View Post
    Hey this is something i've been wondering about. Im sure this is not Chritianity but i would love to know what you guys think. Many people are saying the world is coming to an end when the maya calender ends which is in 2012. Do you believe its true?
    No, according to the Mayans it is a time of great change, not the end of all things. The calendar resets and starts again
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 20, 2009, 03:55 PM
    Actually, paraclete, that is what make 2012 different. Supposedly, it doesn't reset after this Long Count.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 20, 2009, 04:21 PM

It will be an astronomical event -- On December 21, 2012, at 11:11 am, the earth will be in the exact alignment with the sun and the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. This is a rare event that occurs once every 26,000 years.

I remember Y2K...
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Oct 1, 2009, 04:34 PM

There is no Bible prophecy saying that the world (Earth) will end.

There IS a prophecy that it will be renovated, but that will not happen until some time AFTER the Millennium, which we haven't come to yet.

The Apostle Peter writes this:

2 Pet 3:10-13
    10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
    11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
    12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
    13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
    (KJV)
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 07:42 PM
    Prophesy
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    There is no Bible prophecy saying that the world (Earth) will end.

There IS a prophecy that it will be renovated, but that will not happen until some time AFTER the Millennium, which we haven't come to yet.

The Apostle Peter writes this:

2 Pet 3:10-13
    10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
    11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
    12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
    13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
    (KJV)
    Well it that isn't a prophesy of total destruction I don't think I have heard one. A new EARTH doesn't mean the old one is not destroyed. Sounds to me it will be a fireball with no atmosphere. I think Paul may have been predicting destruction by mass coronal ejection or some such solar activity, either that or a nearby supernova. What ever method God choses our days here are numbered.
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 07:43 PM
    End
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    Actually, paraclete, that is what make 2012 different. Supposedly, it doesn't reset after this Long Count.
    All things come to an end Cat, it's just the we don't know the timing
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 07:51 PM
    Expectation
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    It will be an astronomical event -- On December 21, 2012, at 11:11 am, the earth will be in the exact alignment with the sun and the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. This is a rare event that occurs once every 26,000 years.

I remember Y2K..................
    And what can we expect on that day? The longest day or shortest depending upon where you are, some rare heat wave? The sun wobbling on its axis? Mass coronal ejections? I seriously don't get it and at such an interesting time too, which time zone is that?

Yes Y2K, the end of life as we know it but some one has messed with the dates shouldn't it be 21,12,2112
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Oct 2, 2009, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Alles hat ein ende nur die wurst hat zwei. ;)

It means;

Everything has an end, only a sausage has two. :)
    So do candles... I ought to know... I've burned both ends at once on more than one occasion. :o
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Oct 2, 2009, 04:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    well it that isn't a prophesy of total destruction I don't think I have heard one. A new EARTH doesn't mean the old one is not destroyed. Sounds to me it will be a fireball with no atmosphere. I think Paul may have been predicting destruction by mass coronal ejection or some such solar activity, either that or a nearby supernova. What ever method God choses our days here are numbered.
    Well, at any rate, it's more than a thousand years yet before anyone needs to be concerned about it. And God is well able to bring his children through it unscathed.

And it was Peter.

Anyway, I expect the Mayan date to have the same effect as Y2K did.:)
    Maggie 3 Posts: 262, Reputation: 41

Oct 9, 2009, 09:14 PM
    This one thing I know, that every living person dies and their spirit leaves this world.
    It is the end of the world for them. It will happen to us all. You better be ready because
    We know not when or where.

Maggie 3

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Not the end of the world [ 8 Answers ]

Well... yeah I'm pregnant wow! And I think its my fault;; anyway I'm back with him yeah we talked and he's happy because we are expecting a baby even though he got really mad for what I did I don't know if I'm going back to usa anyway I told him everything that I did to have him back and well I am...

World war one [ 1 Answers ]

What was the outcome of world war one? And what were the effects of world war one?

First World War Art [ 1 Answers ]

About 15 years ago I saw a painting in the British Times of a painting, which I think was painted around 1915, showing people on a carousel. As they progressed around the ride, their features became increasingly terrified, and it was presented as an allegory of European civilisation descending into...

What in the world is this? [ 6 Answers ]

I've never run into a webpage like this before (give it a minute to load): http://www.space.com/images/google.html What in the world is it? Why would someone take the time to do all that - and what purpose does it serve? ... just curious.

View more questions Search