Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    medic-dan Posts: 321, Reputation: 23

Sep 19, 2009, 03:59 PM
    Need chicken sandwich recipe
    Hi,

I'm looking for a recipe for a chicken barbecue sandwich. The odd thing is, it was not made with barbecued chicken, nor was there any barbecue sauce on it.

It was more like a boiled shredded chicken that was loaded onto a sesame seed bun covered in mayo.

It might be a Massachusetts thing. Growing up I could get them at two restaurants by my grandmothers but both are now out of business.

One place was called "Bea's" and the other "The Den" if that helps.

Thanks in advance.
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2009, 04:35 PM
    I can give you some of my own barbecue chicken sandwich recipes, although they will be different than the one you mentioned?

Sep 23, 2009, 07:06 AM
    Thanks. Do you have one that sounds similar to what I've described?
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2009, 09:40 AM
    It sounds like you are talking about a chicken salad sandwich. They come made all different ways depending on your taste.

Can you remember what floavors it had beside mayo and chicken?

Celery?
    Pickles?
    Mustard?
    Onion?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2009, 12:01 PM
    Hi, medic-dan!

Was the sandwich hot or cold, please?

Thanks!

Sep 23, 2009, 07:15 PM
    It was a hot sandwich.

I remember the chef would scoop it out of a big bucket, squeeze out the excess water, and put it on the bun.

Thanks
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 12:28 AM
    Hi again, medic-dan!

Knowing whether it was hot or cold helps a lot!

So, was it something like what most of us would consider to be a Sloppy Joe, please?

Thanks!

Sep 24, 2009, 07:42 AM

Good description. I guess it was like a sloppy joe made of chicken and mayo, no beef or tomato sauce.

Thanks again!
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 02:32 PM
    Hi again, medic-dan!

I've had such a sandwich many times. Usually, they've been at parties in the homes of people.

Chicken plus the mayo, should be no problem with that. I'm not sure what other things to add to it, though, especially if it's going to be hot. Hopefully, others will come along with some great suggestions!

How to shread the chicken the best way is something that I would like to know how to do...

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2009, 03:14 PM
    Cook the chicken or chicken parts in a crock pot or regular pot, let cool and shread with a fork and your fingers. Fingers help to make sure there are no bones.
    Save your broth for other things (after skimming off the fat) easy to do after it's cooled

Hot or cold was very important!

Now I need to know if the Mayo was mixed in with the chicken or just on the Sesame seed buns.:confused:
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 03:21 PM
    So, is the chicken just going to fall apart if it's cooked enough, Just Dahlia?

I'll leave that at that...

Thanks!

Sep 24, 2009, 03:33 PM
    The mayo was on the sesame seed bun. It was not mixed with the chicken, like in chicken salad.

I think you've about got it. Thanks to everyone!
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2009, 04:17 PM
    Medic-dan this is what I have found, and then maybe you can add and change some of the ingredients:

Easy BBQ Shredded Chicken Sandwiches in a Crock-Pot | Easy And Tasty Food
    "Chicken - 2-3 lbs., boneless - breasts and/or thighs, fresh or frozen
    BBQ Sauce - 2 cups, make your own or prepared (save 1/2 cup for dipping if desired.)
    Onion - 1, diced or sliced (optional)
    Spray the slow cooker with oil.

Add chicken, onions if using, and BBQ sauce and mix together.
    Cover and heat on low: 6-8 hours for fresh chicken; 7-9 hrs for frozen.

When fully cooked, remove meat from pot and pull shread with 2 forks. Put back in the pot and re-heat as needed. Pile onto buns and serve. The taste of the BBQ sauce permeates the meat but is somewhat diluted with slow-cooking, so I recommend serving some BBQ sauce on the side with your sandwiches. Times are approximate, depending on your slow-cooker."

Here are some others that look good:
    Easy BBQ Shredded Chicken Sandwiches in a Crock-Pot | Easy And Tasty Food
    http://www.shortcakescraps.com/recipes/bbqchicken.htm
    BBQ Chicken Sandwiches - All Recipes
    Recipe: Shredded Chicken Sandwiches, Shredded Chicken Salad Sandwiches, BBQ'd Chicken Sandwiches, Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
    Pulled Chicken Barbecue - A great way to make barbecue sandwiches easy
    Easy and Tasty Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches in the Crock Pot - 95569 - Recipezaar

Sep 24, 2009, 04:41 PM
    Thanks Golden_Girl.

I'll give it a shot in the next few days and let you know how they come out.

Dan
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2009, 05:08 PM
    Ok, let me know how it works out.
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2009, 08:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    So, is the chicken just going to fall apart if it's cooked enough, Just Dahlia?

I'll leave that at that...

Thanks!
    Yes! It's great! The same thing will happen with Pork and Beef:D
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 08:41 PM
    So, how does one know when they're cooked enough, please?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2009, 09:15 PM
    Edit.. I'm sorry I meant to quote Clough.
    When it starts to fall off the bone. It's always better to cook with bone for flavor, it adds a lot. It is amazing what bone will do for flavor.
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Sep 27, 2009, 03:01 AM

Go to Recipezaar: The most complete collection of free recipes on the Internet, trusted by home chefs throughout the world.. They have great recipes and star rating guide for all recipes. Enjoy!

Sep 29, 2009, 03:48 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all your help. I made my sandwiches today and they were great. Really, I don't know why I didn't do it before.

I boiled a chicken breast and some legs (dark meat) until they were nice and soft. I then shredded the chicken and cooked it in the broth with some flour, just to thicken things up a bit. After it thickened I took it out of the broth, squeezed it dry, and put it onto a sesame seed bun covered with mayo. A little salt and pepper, and it was great. I had my parents for dinner too and they said they were just like they remembered, OK, they were being nice. But they did come out darn close.

I never thought it would be so easy. Thanks to everyone for your ideas and suggestions. I might experiment with a few other items next time.

Dan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pizza Hut Sandwich [ 5 Answers ]

I love the pizza hut sandwiches... they just don't make them in my hometown anymore... not for years. However I traveled to Troy, Alabama and Low And Behold... there it was... Now my thing is... how can I get one in my hometown?? Or somewhere close... Mobile ala

Translate Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry Recipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm trying to help my nanny cook a chicken and veggie stir fry but she only speaks spanish. So I want to give her printed directions on how to make a chicken and vegetable stir fry. Thanks! :) Here is a recipe that I found: INGREDIENTS (Nutrition) 3 cups water, divided 5 teaspoons...

Spanish chicken recipe? [ 3 Answers ]

A few years ago for my spanish class I made a recipe and I cannot remember what it was called! All that I can remember is that you had to blend up the chicken, and mix it with a kind of pasty mixture, I know that it had some garlic in it, and that after you mixed up the chicken you had to dip it in...

Favourite sandwich? [ 39 Answers ]

Im hungry and I'm stuck on what to have, What is your favourite sandwich? What sort of bread do you prefer? Do you use spread, butter or mayo? Any favourite sauces you just have to have?? Go on give me some ideas I'm famished :D

Recipe Trade: Here's my MarsBar Cheesecake Recipe (A real winner!) [ 1 Answers ]

From My Family Kitchen to Yours.. Want to trade a tried and tested family favorite? Here's one from my kitchen.. MarsBar Cheesecake, perfect for a Special Birthday - Sure to put a smile on that Birthday Persons dile:) This recipe is for a LARGE Cake - if you are catering for a smaller...

View more questions Search