Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shortbutsweet16 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2009, 01:51 PM
    I am under 18 and I got in a fender bender?
    I was just wondering if there is a law stating that if a driver is under 18 (I am 17) that they cannot drive anyone else except for family in the car until they are 18. I can't find it on the internet anywhere so I don't think there is or else I would be able to find it. But I would appreciate it if there is one if you could let me know and give me the website where you found it at... thank you for your time
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2009, 01:59 PM

Where do you live?

You should have been informed of these things when you got your license..
    shortbutsweet16 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2009, 02:00 PM

I live in Illinois
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2009, 02:03 PM

Illinois Graduated Driver Licensing System

According to that...

For the first year of licensing, or until the driver is age 18, whichever occurs first, the number of passengers is limited to one person under age 20, unless the additional passenger(s) is a sibling, step-sibling, child, or step-child of the driver. After this period, the number of passengers is limited to one in the front seat and the number of safety belts in the back seat.

So if you have only driven for a year, you can only have one other person under 20 with you. So yes you can drive without a family member..
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 19, 2009, 02:18 PM

You were supposed to memorize Rules of the Road in order to pass the written test. Here's a section from that booklet (online format):

Initial Licensing Phase – Drivers Ages 16-17

* Parent/legal guardian must certify that a minimum of 50 hours of practice driving, including 10 hours at night, has been completed.
    * Parent/legal guardian must accompany teen to provide written consent to obtain a driver’s license, OR complete and notarize an Affidavit/Consent for Minor to Drive form.
    * Must have completed a state-approved driver education course.
    * Nighttime driving restrictions – Sunday-Thursday, 10 p.m.–6 a.m.; Friday-Saturday, 11 p.m.–6 a.m. (local curfews may differ).
    * Must maintain a conviction-free driving record for six months prior to turning 18 before moving to the Full Licensing Phase. A traffic conviction during the Initial Licensing Phase may extend restrictions beyond age 18.
    * All occupants under age 19 must wear safety belts.
    * For the first 12 months of licensing, or until the driver turns 18, whichever occurs first, the number of passengers is limited to one person under age 20, unless the passenger( s) is a sibling, stepsibling, child or stepchild of the driver. After this period, the number of passengers is limited to one in the front seat and the number of safety belts in the back seat.
    * Wireless phone use while driving is prohibited for drivers under age 19, except in the case of an emergency to contact a law enforcement agency, health care provider or emergency services agency. Definition of Wireless Phone

Sanctions

* To obtain court supervision for a traffic violation, a driver must appear in court with a parent/legal guardian and also must attend traffic safety school. Limit one court supervision for serious driving offenses.
    * A moving violation conviction before age 18 generates a Secretary of State warning letter to the parent and teenager.
    * A moving violation conviction that occurs within the first year of licensing will result in a six-month extension of the passenger limitation, which allows only one unrelated passenger under age 20.
    * Two moving violation convictions occurring within a 24-month period results in a minimum one-month driver’s license suspension. Suspension length is determined by the seriousness of the offenses and the driver’s prior driving history. An additional driver’s license suspension will result for each subsequent moving violation following the initial suspension.
    * Suspended drivers must attend a remedial education course, may be retested and must pay a $70 reinstatement fee.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 03:27 PM

Why is this a concern if you "only" had a fender bender?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fender bender issue [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am also in Arizona I'm fairly worried because I am going through a similar dilemna as another thread, only it may be worse. I caused a small fender bender, in which the other car had a bump and a bit of paint chip on its bumper. I gave the other driver my information and left the scene ,a...

$3K Fender Bender [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. Just thought I'd ask a few professionals before I deplete my bank account. I was involved in a fender bender while I was parallel parking my Subaru Outback on a quiet side street in Queens. A woman driving by as I was turning in to the tricky spot, hit my passenger side front fender and cracked...

Fender bender [ 3 Answers ]

I was involved in a fender bender wherein a 18 wheeler scratched the left back side of my car. I had just merged into the lane and traffic was not moving after that. Suddenly the 18 wheeler moved forward and made a dent in the rear left side of my car. The truck's insurance co denied my claim...

Fender bender [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, so on my way to class I am in a turn lane about to turn right when someone side swipes me. It turns out he has his own insurance company. Anyway, I was very nice to him as he was to me however in a nice way he says he thinks it was a no fault accident. Im not really sure why he thinks this....

Fender Bender [ 3 Answers ]

I live in New Jersey, I was visiting a friend in upstate NY. Once I got off the exit in Utica NY; I didn't see a car standing still in the middle of the RD. There was no lights. My Car Tapped the back of there's. We both have the same make Car. There was no damage to my car, and none to there's. I...

View more questions Search