Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    breaghw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2009, 09:46 AM
    A bicyclist is finishing his repair of a flat tire.
    A bicyclist is finishing his repair of a flat tire when a friend rides by with a constant speed of 3.5m/s. Two seconds later the bicylicts hops on his bike and accelerates at 2.4m/s^2 until he catches his friend.
    (a) How much time does it take until he catches his friend?
    (b) How far has he traveled in this time?
    (c) What is his speed when he catches up?

The 2 second time change is really throwing me off, how do I work it into the calculation?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 10:09 AM

Ok, a graph would really help you here. I'll show you how to do this.

1. Let's say, the cyclist takes 't' seconds to catch up his friend from the time that his friend first met him.

Then, the distance 's' his friend covered until they meet is given by:

The relationship between distance, time and acceleration is given by (when initial speed is zero)

The acceleration 'a' being 2.4, the displacement 's' being unknown, the time being (t-2)

Now, the distance here are the same, so,

Solve for t to get the time from where they first met. Then, remove 2 from that to have the time that the cyclist takes to reach his friend.

2. Now that you have the time, you can find the distance by replacing 't' in either equations you had above.

3. To find the speed, you can use v = u+at, where v is the final speed, u the initial speed (0 m/s), a the acceleration and t the time the cyclist took.

I hope I helped! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repair or replace Sony flat screen? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Sony KDL 40 XBR3 which will not display the HD signal from my COMCAST box. Also, it will frequently not display anything when I switch from the HD channels to the SD channels. If I turn the TV off then on again, the picture will return and I can switch back to the HD channels...

Flat tire [ 2 Answers ]

Yesterday I had a flat tire on the interstate. So I ease my car over to the shoulder of the road, carefully get out of the car and open the trunk. I took out 2 cardboard men, unfolded them and stood them at the rear of my car facing oncoming traffic. They look so lifelike you wouldn't believe!...

Changing a flat tire on John deere 245 [ 1 Answers ]

I've got a flat front tire on my JD 245--I can't seem to get the 'C" ring or clip off so I can remove the tire and wheel. Suggestions?

Feels like a flat tire when driving: tie rod? [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter got in her car (92 Pontiac Grand Prix, 70K miles, oil changed faithfully) last night to drive home, and it felt like she had a flat tire. She doesn't. Someone suggested it might be a tie rod. She's concerned about the cost, as she just had a $400 repair, and we don't know a...

View more questions Search