Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kwjamie2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2004, 05:25 PM
    Great Dane not eating
    I have a 9 year old Great Dane . He has decided not to eat for three days in a row but will take people food

He had some odd symptoms before the eating problem. He had blood in his urine (clotty but otherwise clear too normal color) and he has suddenly developed a diareah problem :( which he cannot seem to control. He is lethargic but has suffered any other problems

He will drink normal amounts of water but will not eat any of his food
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2004, 07:12 PM
    Re: Great Dane not eating
    Some other good people on the net and I can help with many problems, but medical problems require the hands on attention of a trained veterinarian. I am sorry I can't help with this problem. There are just too many things it could be, and most of them take a vet to fix.
    kwjamie2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2004, 03:28 PM
    Do you think this is a medical problem? His advanced age perhaps? He was fine a week ago but he is 9 years old and it may be time :(
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2004, 06:14 PM
    Unfortunately for those of us that love large dogs, the larger the dog, the shorter the life span. It might or might not be something that could be cleared up giving him a few more years. Only a vet can say.
    courtni Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Since he is so old I would definitely suggest taking him to the vet.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Mar 20, 2008, 08:47 PM
    Yes, definitely time to take him to the vet. He has been showing signs of illness for only a few days, but something may have been going on internally for quite some time. The "wait-and-see" approach is risky with young puppies and geriatric dogs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Great dane excessive whining [ 7 Answers ]

Our great dane has been whining all day. We can't figure out what she wants? But something is definitely wrong. She pace the room whining and no matter how much attention we give her, nothing helps. Yet she will play with her toy like everything is fine. In fact, her toy is almost a comfort to her...

Great Dane owners... [ 9 Answers ]

I always wanted to have a Great Dane. But need to know how they interact with children. We have 3 small children at home ages 4, 6 and 8. I was concerned that if we adopted a small breed dog, that one of the kids might accidentally hurt it by falling on it. I've heard that the Danes have great...

My Great Dane doesn't like to Eat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a rather large problem with our pet Dane. He has no interest in any kind of food that dogs are meant to eat. He is now 20 months old and we have had nothing but problems with him over his lack of eating. He has never showen any interest in food other than cat food. But just...

Great dane in heat [ 5 Answers ]

I have a female great dane that is just nine months old. She is my first female dog of any kind, and just went into heat for the first time starting yesterday. I was wondering how long it lasts and how often it happens. I bought her a doggie diaper and absorbent pads which she willingly wears in...

Great dane gone crazy [ 1 Answers ]

We have 2 great danes and a beagle. We have had absolutely no problems until last night my male dane saw my 12 yr. old and 8 yr. old children wrestling, when my son (8 yr. old) walked away the dog grabbed his arm and shook it like a lion with it's prey. My son was wearing a thick jacket (thank...

View more questions Search