Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    11nugget Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2009, 11:14 PM
    Financial forcast
    Reasons companis need a financial forecast:brand new company, family-owned company, and a long-standing corporation.

How much investors will invest in you.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 03:11 AM

Is "How much investors will invest in you" supposed to be your answer? First, a family-owned company isn't going to have any investors. And you also need to think a lot deeper than that.

Sep 19, 2009, 07:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    Is "How much investors will invest in you" supposed to be your answer? First, a family-owned company isn't going to have any investors. And you also need to think a lot deeper than that.
    Brand new company:
    Because any (responsible) investor wants to know how hard they can expect their money to work before investing in any business. It also sets a productivity target for employees.

Family owned company:
    At the very least, the family that owns the company wants to make sure they will be able to eat in the next month, quarter, or year if their sole source of income is that business. It also keeps the employees informed of current market conditions.

Long standing corporation:
    It is required by the SEC, and it is the yardstick by which many stock investors gauge management's capabilities. The same reasons apply here as for the new company and family owned company. Long standing corporation, such as companies devote a very serious attention to financial forecasing because high cost involved during short term and long projects are at stake. A clear picture about the coming cash flows using capital budgeting methods.

It gives the owners/managers a chance to change coarse if needed, and give them a firm ground on which to build goals and future growth projections. How much investors will want to invest and let them know what the company is planning to do.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2009, 01:56 AM

How detailed does this thing need to be?

You've got a good start. One thing I'll point out is that I've never worked at a company where the employees were let in on the financial forecasts. (One exception, but it was the forecasts for a partner we were working with, not the actual company we were working for.) The employees were usually not stupid and knew whether things were overall doing well or not, but the financials were basically none of their business. Granted, I've pretty much worked for small businesses. I can see reasons for letting them in on this, but I don't see why it would apply specifically to new companies.

Much of the same reasons are going to apply to any business. The one major difference is that a family-owned business is not looking for outside capital.

Can you think of a special difference for a new company? And can you think of anyone else who would want these forecasts besides those within the company?

Sep 26, 2009, 04:38 PM

Pro Forma Financial Statements
    cash 8%
    accounts receivable 13%
    inventory 21%
    net fixed assets 35%
    accounts payable 13%
    accruals 8%
    profit margin after taxes 6%

2008 sales $100million
    2009 sales increase 15%
    dividend payout ratio 30%
    2009 retained earnings balance 33.00 million
    2009 common stock 10.00 million
    2009 long term bonds 5.95 million
    2009 notes payable 12.00
    a. Change in Sales (∆S) = .15x100million=15million
    Spontaneous Assets = 8%+13%+21%+35%=77%
    Spontaneous Liabilities = 13%+8%=21%

RNF = = $ _____

b. .77(15million)-0.21(15million)-0.06($115million)(1-0.5)
    11.55million-3.15 million-3.45 million
    4.95 million

c. ASSETS
    Cash $9.20
    Accounts Receivable 14.95
    Inventory 24.15
    Net Fixed Assets 40.25
    Total Assets 88.15 This total should equal "Total Liab & S.E"
    LIABILITIES AND SHAREHOLDER EQUITY
    Accounts Payable $14.95
    Accruals 9.20
    Notes Payable 12.00
    Long Term Bonds 5.95
    Common Stock 10.00
    Retained Earnings 31.50 The Assignment should have listed this as the 2009 Retained Earnings Balance.
    Total Liab & S.E. 36.45 This total should equal "Total Assets"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Managing Financial and Non-financial Resources [ 4 Answers ]

Hi every body, I want answers this Question important for my project management, can any body help me?? :( And thank for all... :) Managing Financial and Non-financial Resources Question ONE: -Describe the things you should consider when putting together a budget for an Organization or...

To produce a plan for financial and non-financial resources [ 1 Answers ]

As a manager produce a plan for financial and non-financial resources to meet mediun to long trem objectives of the company

Financial statements to review/financial health of a company [ 0 Answers ]

Reviewing the company's balance sheet, which entries should be analysied To determine the financial health of a company?:confused: :confused: :confused:

View more questions Search