Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beckielou25 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2009, 05:35 PM
    Songwriting Guidance
    I would like someone to help me wright a song. I have a lot of ideas falling out of my head but can never seem to get them to land right on paper! Please help!!

Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2009, 05:43 PM
    Hi, beckielou25!

What sort of ideas do you presently have for writing a song, please?

Thanks!

Sep 18, 2009, 05:58 PM

Some info about myself:

Music: I mostly listen to Rock. My favorite current band is Shinedown. Their lead singer Brent Smith is my biggest inspiration. If I were to record music, that is the type of music I would want to do. I also like Incubus, Seether, Godsmack, Audioslave, Tool, and so on... I also like a little country, such as Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, Miranda Lambert...

Interest: Art, Photography, Music, and Laughter; that pretty much sums me up. I am creative and I like to have fun!

Love: I am in love :rolleyes: that is usually a huge subject matter when it comes to writing songs. I recently married my High School sweetheart. We started dating when I was 16. We have a great relationship, so I don't really identify with songs about ex's, cheating, or things like that. I have only been hurt by him one time in the 8 years we have been together.

Message: The message I would want to get across in a song would be a positive one. However, I don't want it to be corny. I want it to be something that would sound hard, edgy, insightful, deep, and emotional. I want a positive message or lesson learned to come from this song. And believe me, I have a lot of lessons learned that we could discuss ;) If you want to know what I am looking for... listen to shinedowns new album "the sound of madness" because that is the type of stuff I am looking for.

I can discuss specifics later once someone responds... so please... help me!

Sep 18, 2009, 07:31 PM

Its hard to pick just one, but here is one idea. I'll tell you a story...

I was in my final year of college, just finished up class and was heading home. I was still living with my parents, but had recently purchased a house with my "fiance" at the time. I was heading to my new house, and I wanted to time my drive. So I leave, I get a few miles down the road and I get stopped in traffic. I live in a very rural community, so backed up traffic is not something that normally happens. I immediately get annoyed and irrated. I think to myself "of course, this is just my luck! This has to happen to me just when I am trying to time my drive home."

I had been waiting in this line of cars for about 15 minutes, when my cell phone rang. It was one of my sisters. She had a very serious tone to her voice and said "Beckie, Katie (my other sister) was on her way home from work and ...." I immediately knew what she was going to tell me. Sitting there in that traffic, I knew she traveled that road to get home from work. I knew she was going to tell me there was an accident, and sure enough, she did. My heart sank, she told me that they didn't know what happened or if she was okay. All they knew what that she was being taken by ems to the hospital. As I am on the phone traffic is slowly moving and I am getting closer and closer to the scene of the accident. I get off the phone with her and call my husband. While on the phone with him I approach it. They detour us off to a road on the right. First I see a small vehicle that I don't recognize. Then, firefighters with extinguishers, standing around a once blue minivan. It was hers. The van now looked black, I could tell there had been a fire. Every single window busted out. Every side of the vehicle smashed in. There was no longer a front end. It was completely ripped off and out in the field. I see the third vehicle of the accident, a black suv. Then, turning the corner, I see what did the damage. A red tanker semi truck, with its front end completely smashed in, jack-knifed out in the field. I begin to scream. I think, she's dead. There is no way she could have possibly survived that accident, and if she did, she definitely couldn't have walked away from it.

My husband tells me to pull over, he's coming to get me. I so badly want to call my mom, dad, or other sisters for comfort, but they haven't seen what I have. They are still sitting there with the hope of her being okay. I didn't want to tell them what I saw. Then I get a call from my mom. She tells me that she has received word that Katie was alive and responding in the ems. I can't believe she was alive! Long story short, she suffered no broken bones, but she did suffer internal bleeding, seatbelt lacerations that developed gangrene and threatened her life again. She had seven surgeries, over 500 stitches, removal of gall bladder and 12 inches of intestines. She had her life threatened a third time by routine surgery gone wrong, leaving her on a ventilator until she could breath again. Three months in the hospital, three different hospitals, and all this at only 25 years old with two young children. The best party, now almost two years later, you would never know anything ever happened to her! What a miracle. And through all it, she NEVER complained, not once, about anything. I only saw her cry once, when they told her she would have to be transported to a hospital 3 hours away to have the gangrene removed. She didn't want to be too far from her kids and she didn't want to go. They told her that the decision was hers, but if she didn't have this surgery the infection would kill her. So she went.

This was definitely one of the most tragic moments of my life. My sisters are not just my sisters, they are my best friends. We are extremely close, emotionally and in age. The four of us are each only 2 years apart. We do almost everything together. I couldn't imagine what it would have been like to lose her so young in our lives. To watch her 2 small boys grow up without her, and possibly never remember her. That is all I could think about through the whole thing.

Looking back now, I can't believe how selfish I was when I first pulled up to the traffic and had to wait. I was so mad that I got stuck there. I only wish that it would have been the worst of my problems that day. You know, I'm sure that every single other person in that line of cars was just as annoyed as I was. The difference being, they got to drive right on by and get back on with their lives and their day to day. I can honestly tell you, I have never and will never feel that way ever again, when I drive by an accident! I definitely would never wish it upon even my worst enemy, to have to drive past a fatal looking accident of a loved one, and not know the outcome.

SORRY FOR SUCH A LONG POST, BUT I HAVE NEVER ACTUALLY WRITTEN ABOUT ANY OF THAT BEFORE, SO ONCE I STARTED IT JUST KEPT GOING AND GOING AND GOING! :o
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2009, 11:15 PM
    Hi again, beckielou25!

Thanks for the background about you and about you and your sisters! I'm sorry that you and they had to endure such a thing!

Well, would you like to write a song about the love between sisters? It might be called "The Love of Sisters". I originally thought about "Sister Love", but I think there is already a song by that title.

Perhaps you could think of a title for it? If it's that about which you want to write.

We can work on the song together. It's best to keep things simple at first, so that you get the "hang" of how it works to write a song.

Thanks!
    beth911 Posts: 499, Reputation: 6

Sep 18, 2009, 11:29 PM

Weird that I came across this because I used to right several songs constantly and forgot all about them until a little bit ago I found them in my closet.
    What I did is I started just righting poems
    It helps when you have something on your m,ind that is really bugging you. Just right it all down as you think it. Not after. Look back LATER to change any words around. Let all your feelings and thoughts out on the peper as if you are just telling someone how you feel.
    Then when you have as much as you can come up with, just change your words around a little bit and try to change your words into a poem and youe poem into a song

Also, they say that it helps to start with a title first and then go from there. It doesn't work all that good for me but we aren't all the same it may help you think what you want to write about though.
    Let me know how it goes.
    Good luck!
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2009, 11:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by beth911 View Post
    weird that i came across this because i used to right several songs constantly and forgot all about them until a little bit ago i found them in my closet.
    what i did is i started out just righting poems
    it helps when you have something on your m,ind that is really bugging you. just right it all down as you think it. not after. look back LATER to change any words around. let all your feelings and thoughts out on the peper as if you are just telling someone how you feel.
    then when you have as much as you can come up with, just change your words around a little bit and try to change your words into a poem and youe poem into a song

also, they say that it helps to start with a title first and then go from there. it doesnt work all that good for me but we arent all the same it may help you think what you want to write about though.
    let me know how it goes.
    good luck!
    Hi, beth911!

Yes, the poems or songs might need to be re-written a number of times before they're just right. Also, the words and sentences need to fit to some kind of meter and rhythm in order for them to be good songs that people can actually sing.

Also, songs don't have to just be about things that are "bugging" a person. They can be about happy things.

I offered to help you with something like song writing a couple of years ago. Might you now be interested in actually taking part in composing a song whereby you can actually here the music on the Internet?

Thanks!

Sep 18, 2009, 11:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, beth911!

Yes, the poems or songs might need to be re-written a number of times before they're just right. Also, the words and sentences need to fit to some kind of meter and rhythm in order for them to be good songs that people can actually sing.

Also, songs don't have to just be about things that are "bugging" a person. They can be about happy things.

I offered to help you with something like song writing a couple of years ago. Might you now be interested in actually taking part in composing a song whereby you can actually here the music on the Internet?

Thanks!
    Hi its funny because before I even saw this thread I was reading my songs and remembered you were willing to help me with them. Looking back I didn't like all of them. That's another thing... ome moment you may lo0ve the way the words go together and the next moment you don't like any of it at all. It isn't easy but the more you do it the better you will be at it. I used to have the same problem.. all kinds of lyrics would just come to me but I never got to write them down or I couldn't write it down fast enough and it would all just be gone but I would right down whatever little bit I could remnember and keep repeating it in my head over and over again. Don't get too far ahead of yourself without starting to write it down. You won't be able to remember most of it. Try to always have a pen and paper handy. And yes it can be about happy things. Some of my songs I was really down when I wrote them but at the end it had a happy ending.
    Clough, could I perhaps make money off my songs? Lol

Sep 18, 2009, 11:54 PM

Wow beckielou25
    I'm so sorry to hear what happened
    That is really something you should try to right about. I recently lost a person in my life at a dangerous intersection. He was on a moped with his best friend and a woman was texting and driving. They weren't wearing any helmets but they said that it would have not made any difference. The driver of the moped died three times. He woke up one time and said he is sorry if he hurt his friend by pushing him off , he was just trying to save him.he died again. He was brain dead and then he died again.
    He was only 19 and I still refuse to believe that he is gone. Exactly one year before that, he hit my car and totaled it. The two friends were friends of my boyfriend and there one who survived was my friends brother. He spent a week in the hospital but was OK physically.
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 12:36 AM
    Originally Posted by Clough
    Hi, beth911!

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by beth911 View Post
    hi its funny because before I even saw this thread I was reading my songs and remembered you were willing to help me with them. Looking back I didn't like all of them. That's another thing... ome moment you may lo0ve the way the words go together and the next moment you don't like any of it at all. It isn't easy but the more you do it the better you will be at it. I used to have the same problem.. all kinds of lyrics would just come to me but I never got to write them down or I couldn't write it down fast enough and it would all just be gone but I would right down whatever little bit I could remnember and keep repeating it in my head over and over again. Don't get too far ahead of yourself without starting to write it down. You won't be able to remember most of it. Try to always have a pen and paper handy. And yes it can be about happy things. Some of my songs I was really down when I wrote them but at the end it had a happy ending.
    Clough, could I perhaps make money off my songs? Lol
    Yes, you could potentially make money from the selling of songs that you've written. Part of how I make my living is by composing and arranging songs for groups that I've directed or currently direct. Just one group at the present time.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Songwriting programs [ 5 Answers ]

Hello. I have a problem about composing a song. I wrote a song but I donīt know how to write it down on the computer. Can anyone recommend me a program which helps to write sheet music! And I like to know, is there a program which plays the music I written down ( like I write some notes down and...

Songwriting cooperator wanted [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, Iīd like to find a co-autor to write song with. I can write lyrics, but I have kind a problem with writhing music :( This songs name is going to be "Eclipse" and itīs kind of sad song. Iīll be very grateful when I find someone who would like to do some cooperation with me! Waiting for...

Songwriting problems [ 8 Answers ]

right so I write music but I like a certain type of music yet, when I write a song it will always ended up being too pop-ish sounding or something and I don't like that at all! also I only sing so writing music is really hard for me, wel I play a little piano but I can't just write a song and...

Songwriting tips! [ 6 Answers ]

I really would love to make up a good song fast or slow it doesn't matter. The only problem is where do I start? What can it be about? I can't think of words to put in a song its really hard. ANY TIPS?!

Songwriting [ 1 Answers ]

I couldn't tell if there were many songwriters on this forum or not. I write poetry and now mostly songs on my acoustic guitar, mostly rock style songs nothing heavy but occasionally folky too. I was wondering if anyone is has any experience with Q Base or especially Pro Tools and if there is...

View more questions Search