Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roach123 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2009, 10:55 AM
    Basement subpanel
    I want to install a 100 amp subpanel being fed from a 200 amp service panel,I intend to use #2 copper wire to feed this subpanel ,obviously I will have 3 , #2 copper and a green #4 for the ground . All wires will be in conduit and the subanel will be lass than 5ft. From the main service panel.
    I would like to know what is a good panel to use, ( I would like to get one that already has a auxiliary ground bar installed, and if anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to mention them.

Thanks
    BIG-D Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2009, 03:34 PM

Hi Roach123, first you will have to make sure you have room in the 200 amp main panel, because you will have to install a 100 amp circuit breaker in that 200 amp panel. Also for a 100 amp panel all you need is 3 #3awg wires an 1 #8awg wire for ground. You will also want to make sure you bond everything together. As far as panels go's Square D , GE, Westinghouse, all are fine. But Most inportance is to check the current draw on you'er 200 amp panel to make sure it can take a new 100 amp subpanel.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 18, 2009, 04:06 PM

Please see NEC code Table 310.15 (B)(6). This will tell you that a #4 AWG is the proper size conductor for a 100 amp feeder.

You will need to run a 4/3 set of conductors.

It is critical to know whether this feeder will supply a sub panel in the same building or an external building.

There is so much information left out of your question that I am curious if you have calculated the load to be handled by the sub panel.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 18, 2009, 04:45 PM

Cutler Hammer, Square D, Siemens or what ever brand is popular in you area. You primary concern is the availability of breakers. Be not concerned about a auxiliary ground buss. They are quite readily available, only two screws to install and most panel come with holes drilled in the correct location for installation.

Why are you running cable in conduit.

How many circuits do you need.
    Why not tell us more about what you are doing.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2009, 05:42 PM
    Big-D? You say "bond everything together". Not sure what you mean, but I hope you aren't referring to the neutral and ground conductors. They never share a bond except in the main panel. Please explain your statement for mine and Roach123's better understanding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Subpanel [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , I am planning to install a 100 amp subpanel in my basement , I am adding about 1200 sqft of finished space in my basement. My current panel is a bit full so I want to add a 100Amp Sub Panel, going to have around 22 recessed lights, ejector pump circuit, Dehumidifier Circuit, sink pump...

Cost for Basement SubPanel [ 2 Answers ]

Just looking for an average of the cost for installing a 100-150 amp subpanel in my basement from the garage. There are plenty of empty panels on the main service panel and the run to the sub panel will be between 70-80 ft. I live in Iowa and will have a certified electrician do the work. Just...

Basement subpanel. [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks in advance for all help involved in my endeavors... First off let me start by saying this is an old home built in 1959 and has all fusible circuits.. The home was somewhat upgraded as far as I can tell in the 70`s with an exterior meter panel with breaker space for extra circuits,but by and...

Subpanel in basement [ 1 Answers ]

I need three 20a circuits in basement. I planned to run #8 wire 50feet from main panel to a new sub panel in basement where I would have 3 20a breakers. Will this be OK or do I need #6 wire for the feed to the subpanel?

Need subpanel in basement [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am getting ready to finish my basement but my main panel is in my garage so I'm thinking it would make it easier for me if I install a subpanel in my basement. The main panel is 200 amp so I'd like to install a 100 amp subpanel. Is it okay to put in a 100 amp main breaker panel and feed...

View more questions Search