Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trixie2010 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2009, 09:43 AM
    vista hard drive
    How do I wipe out hard drive on vista so I can reinstall os?
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2009, 10:21 AM

Little more info

Are you going back to factory settings?

Do you have recovery disks that came with computer?

Did computer come with vista?

Do you have model name and # of PC avail?

Do you want to go back to factory or just install a version of Vista you have around?

Anything else you can add will help to try and get you some working info.

Though a simple answer to your question
    You do not need to format the drive. Just boot with your vista dvd. Choose advanced options from the menu that asks you where you want to install. Make sure you delete ALL partitions on the drive; then choose to install into that space. Vista will create/format during the install for you.

Note the above will destroy ALL data on the drive so make sure you backup anything important. Next I would download the full version of sp1 and apply that right after you install vista.

The above is for a retail version of vista NOT one that came pre-installed on a system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sony Vaio will no longer boot Vista, Hard drive failure? [ 7 Answers ]

Sony Vaio laptop seems bricked 1 week after warranty. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Initial occurance: Wife was loading an app when it froze. She tried a restart and vista failed to boot. Can access BIOS at Vaio splash screen. Windows Boot Manager says : File:...

Hard drive D on windows vista is full [ 9 Answers ]

I am using Vista and my drive D says it is full do to back ups.My question is can I go into my computer and right click on the mouse and scroll to format wipe it out and then run a systems back up.will that cause any problems?I have changed the settings now so iys not backing up everything.

How do I import email files from XP external hard drive to Vista new PC? [ 1 Answers ]

My PC crashed and burned this morning. MB is toast. Was able to salvage hard drive and I have it in an external reader and can access info. It was Win XP. New system is Vista. I'm not sure where to find the .pst files because I can't seem to locate the following pathway on external hard...

EXternal Hard Drive and VISTA ? [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have an HP laptop with Vista loaded and for some reason it will not detect my external hard Drive(300 GB) when plugged into USB Port. Any Suggestion on how to correct this problem as I am not familiar with Windows Vista. Thanks! RMP:confused:

Wipe out vista hard drive [ 16 Answers ]

Need to know how to wipe out hard drive that came with windows vista And put in xp home edition which I have the cd disc from my other laptop

View more questions Search