Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mail4nandakumar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2009, 06:49 AM
    How does Motor protection circuit breaker works
    I would like to know the principle behind the working of Motor protection circuit breaker
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2009, 08:01 AM

Short circuit protection which a circuit breaker provides is generally different that motor protection. I'll desl quickly with motor protection.

The circuit would be short circuit protected at the panel by a circuit breaker.

At the motor starter:
    a) Fuse size will be selected since it fine tunes protection.
    b) An electronic overload or mechanical overload would be selected.

The mechanical overload is composed of a low melting point alloy held under tension. If the overload is severe enough, the alloy melts allowing the latch mechanism to work

In the electronic version wires pass through either a coil or hall effect sensor to measure the current. This electronically looked at to see if the overload and time is severe enough to warrant a trip.

The motor starters also contain a definite purpose contactor for HP rated loads. That contactor opens when the load is exceeded. It does not reset automatically.
    copie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2009, 09:38 PM

A motor protection circuit breaker consists of a magnetic short circuit protection mechanism and a thermal overload mechanism specifically rated for the motor it will protect instead of the conductors. The sudden excessive short circuit current will increase the magnetic flux and operate the mechanism to trip the breaker. The thermal overload operates like the thermal overload of a motor starter to prevent the motor coil from burning. Typical overload trip current is within 1.5 x full load curent of the motor, usaully 1.25 x full load. The breaker must be chosen with the rating of the motor in mind. Most of these breakers that I have seen are actually a combination of a starter and a circuit breaker in that they have push buttons or other operating handles on them. Some have other auxiliary contacts for other motor control functions.

I think that Cuttler-Hammer (formerly Westinghouse) do make some which look exactly like an ordinary circuit breaker i.e. without control operators.

These breakers are primarily found in motor control centers.
    rupali_burnwal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2011, 10:45 PM
    Mpcb gives both short circuit and overoad protection while mccb gives only short circuit protection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker [ 15 Answers ]

I want to know about the basic Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker

Circuit breaker trip after install of GFCI breaker [ 3 Answers ]

I'm replacing an outlet under kitchen sink that garbage disposer and dish washer were plugged into because they stopped working. The old outlet was not GFCI. So I'm attempting to replace it with one. Our home was built in the '50s and has no ground line yet. I used an extension cord to plug them...

Motor protection circuit breaker [ 1 Answers ]

What Is Motor Protection Circuit Breaker. How It Is Different From Molded Case Circuit Breaker.

MPCB-Motor Protection Circuit Breakers [ 1 Answers ]

Hello friends, :confused: My question is What is motor protection circuit breaker? How it is different from MCB OR moulde case circuit breakers technicaly?? /

Motor Protection Circuit Breaker [ 4 Answers ]

Hello friends :confused: My question is what is motor protection circuit breakers? How it is different from MCB and MCCB's?? Can anybody please provide thorough technical details of it?? How it works?? >?

View more questions Search