Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snmstump Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2004, 07:48 PM
    Dashchund Trouble
    We recently got a dashchund from a rescue(four days ago). He is a year old, and mostly housetrained. The problem is that he cannot stand for us to leave or to be alone at night. He cries and scratches on the door constantly.

The biggest problem is that he gets so excited when we get home that he pees the moment we come in the door. Is this normal behavior for a daschund or is this just temporary? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Sharon
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2004, 09:20 PM
    Re: Dashchund Trouble
    You need to build his confidence. Who knows what he has been through. The urination is his way of showing his submission to you, and occurs in many individuals of many breeds. Get him a crate. It is only natural that a puppy resists its crate at first. What the puppy wants more than anything else is to be others, you, anyone else in the
    Household, and any other pets. In our modern society, even if we are home,
    Other things distract us from the attention an uncrated puppy must have. The
    Only real solution is to crate the dog when you aren't around. The dog may be
    Happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its
    Den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving
    Its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them
    Will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic
    Ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. Metal ones can be put
    In a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select
    A crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work.
    Start just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going
    in. If you have been able to trust it with any bedding, put that in the crate.
    Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding
    Time for more than one dog.

Obedience train him. The dogs see all the
    People and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in
    The pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members
    Outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by
    Reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class
    Or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with
    A treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/. When you praise him for carrying out the commands correctly, it will build his confidence.

Play tug of war with him, and lose. Ropes work great for that. Ropes from the pets' store quickly turn to hazardous shreds. Ones I made
    Lasted much better. Go to a hardware or home center that sells rope by the
    Foot. Buy 2' of 3/4" poly rope. Melt the ends, and tie knots in it. Get
    Them as tight as possible, put it in a vise and pound it with a hammer. Watch
    Carefully, and be ready to discard when it comes apart.

Go through my housebreaking FAQ and see if there are any details that will help him succeed in housebreaking. Watch him carefully so e does not have accidents due to your inattention. This site limits the length of answers. I will make it a separate post.

labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2004, 09:21 PM
    Re: Dashchund Trouble
    Housebreaking starts before you get home with the new puppy. If you don't have
    A crate, buy one. I prefer the more enclosed, den like plastic ones. Skip the
    Bedding. At first it gets wet, and later it can be chewed into choking
    Hazards. A wire rack in the bottom will help keep the puppy up out of
    Accidents at first. They are available with the crates, but a piece of closely
    Spaced wire closet shelving from a home supply place is cheaper. If you
    Already have a metal crate, covering it may help. Just make sure you use
    Something the puppy can't pull in and chew. Dogs that start in crates as
    Little puppies, accept them very well. Never leave an unattended puppy loose
    In the house. If nobody can watch it, put it in the crate. I suggest letting
    The dog have its crate all its life.

Choose a command and spot you want it to use. The less accessible to strays,
    The less chance of serious disease. If it is a female, choosing a
    Non grassy spot will avoid brown spots later. When you bring it home, take it
    To the spot and give it the command in a firm, but friendly voice. Keep
    Repeating the command and let the puppy sniff around. If it does anything,
    Praise it. Really let it know what a good dog it is and how much you love it,
    And maybe a treat. Note, being out there not only means you can praise it,
    But it also keeps it from being snatched by a hawk. If it doesn't go, take it
    Inside and give it a drink and any meals scheduled. A young puppy will need to
    Go out immediately afterward. Go to the spot and follow the above routine.
    Praising it if it goes is extremely important. If it doesn't go, take it back
    Inside and put it in its crate and try again soon. Do not let it loose in the
    House until it does go.

At first it is your responsibility to know and take the puppy out when it
    Needs to go. It needs to go out the first thing in the morning, after eating,
    Drinking, and sleeping. If it quits playing, and starts running around
    Sniffing, it is looking for a place to go. Take it out quickly. You will just
    Have to be what I call puppy broke until it is a little older.

By the time most dogs are about 3 months old, they have figured out that if
    They go to the door and stand, you will let them out. The praise slowly shifts
    To going to the door. Some people hang a bell there for the dog to paw. If
    Your dog doesn't figure this out, try praising it and putting it out if it
    Even gets near the door. A stern "Bad dog!" is all the punishment that is
    Effective, and only when you catch it in the act and are sure you didn't miss
    It going to the door. Clean up accidents promptly. I mostly keep the little
    Puppies out of the carpeted rooms. Still I need the can of carpet foam
    Sometimes. First blot up all the urine you can with a dry towel. Keep moving
    It and stepping on it until a fresh area stays dry. A couple big putty knives
    Work well on bowel movements. Just slide one under it while holding it with
    The other. This gets it up with a minimum of pushing it down into the carpet.
    This works with even relatively soft ones, vomit, dirt from over turned house
    Plants, or anything else from solids to thick liquids. Finish up with a good
    Shot of carpet foam. Note, do not let the puppy lick up the carpet foam.
    Once the dog is reliably housebroken, your carpet may need a good steam cleaning.

snmstump Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2004, 07:35 PM
    Dashchund Trouble
    Thanks for the help. We are working on obedience training now and it seems to be helping.

We are not putting him in the crate because he was kept in one ALL DAY at the shelter, so he hates it so much. We may try to crate train him later on if we feel comfortable. Anyway, he is doing better every day. Thanks.
    JoeJoe2x4 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 09:07 AM
    I know this question was asked a few years ago, but I must answer in case someone reads this.

A crate should only be used when a dog is being punished. If your dog has an accident in the house, show him the spot, say "NO" firmly, and put him in the crate for 2 hours. Then, take him outside. Allow him to be out in the house until the next accident, and repeat. Be consistent! Dogs learn quickly, and they HATE the crate. You can also use a small bathroom. They typically will not use a small area for relieving themselves if they know they will have to stay with it. The point is to use the same area each time there is a punishment.

Now, when you're not home. Choose a room (I use my bedroom) for the dog to stay in every time you're gone. Do not use the same room as the punishment room. He will learn that this means you are not home. I say "bye" to my Daisy every time I leave, and she knows to go to her bed in my room. Dogs learn words easily too, so use the same words for things, like "pee pee", "bed", etc. My dog NEVER uses the house anymore, unless she is sick or as I will explain.

Contrary to what some say, dogs will use other folks' houses, even after they're trained. ALL dogs do this, male or female. They "mark" their territory. When my nephew brought his dog to my house, he hiked his leg and wet on my floor. Minutes later, Daisy wet in the very same place AND right in front of me. She KNEW better and had that look like, "I'm in trouble now." So, don't expect too much if you take him visiting.

Lastly, be patient. Try not to stay gone for long periods either. Go home as much as possible to take the dog out. It's extremely difficult, if not impossible, to train a dog if you're never home. I feel very sorry for animals who are forced to hold their urine for extreme periods. If you are gone a lot, you should train your dog to use puppy pads. Use the same procedure as I mentioned in the second paragraph. Good luck! :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2010, 09:19 AM

A crate should only be used when a dog is being punished. If your dog has an accident in the house, show him the spot, say "NO" firmly, and put him in the crate for 2 hours.
    No no no no no... A crate should never be used as a punishment!
    A crate is a dogs 'safe place' and a training tool, not a punishment... all that is going to do is teach your dog to hate confined spaces.

And everyone please check the dates on threads, this one is almost 6 years old.

thread closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Car trouble [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1988 hyundai pony with a problem... Every now and then I'll be driving along when suddenly it will start to "choke" and stall - as if it's got something in it's throat. It sounds and feels like one of the jets in the carb is blocking up as it only "chokes" on lower revs. If I leave...

My cat is in trouble [ 3 Answers ]

My cat has little black dots on his lip, and they are starting to appear on his nose, and in his eyelid (where humans put eyeliner on) but, its really bugging me. Is it normal? Can I treat it? What is it? Where did it come from.. please help me and my two year old kitty... thank you so much... ...

I'm in trouble. [ 4 Answers ]

I have been diagnosed with severe clinical depression a while back. I'm on meds, but I think it is getting worse. I get in these terribly low spells, and just want to destroy something, so I started setting fires. I've started 2 grass fires, and then lit an old abandoned truck on fire. Has...

Feeding 2 dashchund puppies [ 6 Answers ]

:D We just got two 8 weeks old brother and sister doxies, I'm a little confused as to how much to feed them. The breeder said to feed them two times a day, but I didn't catch how much and she is out of town for a week. We are feeding them Purina Puppy Chow and a little Avoderm. This is what the...

My poodle humped on my dashchund! [ 4 Answers ]

I've Never been so shocked! My poodle is 5 months old and my dashchund is 5 months still.. and they are both male! How could that have happened? Is my poodle GAY(! ) or he is just horny? I'm so distraught! :confused: :eek:

View more questions Search