Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2009, 05:49 PM
    Researching Artwork
    If you need to find out more about the artwork in your possession please refer the following steps explained in the link below;

Art History/Classics Library - How to Research an Artwork

If you wish us to help you identify a painting, please try and post a photo of the painting you have.
    It will be even more helpful if you could include a close up of the signature.

If there are other writings, a date or initials on the painting or behind the painting please include these details in your question.

Any information related to the painting might also be helpful,
    For example where you acquired it from.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2009, 11:21 PM
    Hi, firmy!

Excellent idea for a thread! I can also make it into a Sticky, but I think that even more links and information would be helpful to be on it.

Letters and numbers on a work of art can also be helpful in making an assessment as to the age of it and other things.

I think that there could be stickies developed concerning a number of different types of art in addition to paintings.

What do you think?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2009, 04:10 AM

Clough,
    You are the best in this field of research.

I will try and get information on different types of artwork identification.
    Soon :)
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 01:12 AM
    Hi, firmy!

I wouldn't say that I'm the best, but thanks for the compliment! I try. I would say that you're one of the best, too!

If we can come up with enough online resourses that are accurate that people can use, we can come up with threads that will be Stikies so that, hopefully, people will see them first and know how to correctly post things about the art about which they're trying to find information.

I would like to work together with you on this project.

First, I think that we need to categorize the general types of art that there might be. Obviously, there would be paintings and sculpture... But, what other GENERAL types that would be major art in the world that an individual might create on their own, or sometimes in conjunction with another individual or individuals? I don't think that crafts would fall into major art categories. I need and would appreciate your help with the categorization.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2009, 06:33 AM

Clough,
    Here's a list to start with
    Wikipedia:WikiProject Visual arts/Art categories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have also noticed that almost all questions in Interior Home Improvement forum is regarding plumbing,building, issues etc.
    I rarely see Interior Design or decoration being asked about, which I think could belong to Art section too.
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 02:28 PM
    Wow, that's quite a list there, firmy!

I find it interesting that there is also this category under four dimensional art in the visual arts.

Four dimensional art
    Film
    Video
    Performance

If you don't mind, I'll work on condensing the list that you found. If you would look for sites that you consider to be excellent, free resources for reseaching art of various kinds and listing them here, that would be great!

The first things that I would suggest concentrating on for finding the websites would be the obvious ones, in general, like:

Painting

Lithographs

Sculpture

Identifying Art

Names of Artists, (i.e. finding the name of an artist).

Art Techniques

Please correct me if I'm wrong or incomplete in what I'm concluding here, but those would seem to be the main categories about which people ask questions here.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever View Post
    I have also noticed that almost all questions in Interior Home Improvement forum is regarding plumbing,building, issues etc.
    I rarely see Interior Design or decoration being asked about, which I think could belong to Art section too.
    I do believe you to be correct here, and that Interior Design and/or Decorating could be sub-forum topic areas in the Art forum topic area.

We could start stickies about those too.

Since I've already helped a number of people in the Writing forum topic area to write lyrics and compose music, that forum topic has tended to be a draw for people wanting to do that.

I'm really not all that keen on our present Music forum topic area because it's so general, not divided and is almost always about the pop stuff.

If there were sub-categories there, like for classical, jazz, folk, religious and various types of world music, I know that those things would be a draw for people and ultimately help the site monetarilly as well as to make the site more enriched.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2009, 02:58 PM
    Clough,
    Your PM just disappeared when I opened it.
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2009, 03:03 PM
    I am just going to randomly find links and then we can sort them out in a list under subheadings,
    is that OK with you Clough?
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 03:08 PM
    Clough,
    your PM just disappeared when I opened it.
    That happened to me too, a number of months ago, when someone sent me a message. Since I've changed the "skin" that I use here, I can see all of the messages, even the one that had appeared to "disappear".

I would suggest changing the "skin" that you use here. It's in your Profile to be able to do that. In the Default Style of "skin", in order to change it, is in the lower, left-hand corner of the threads that you're on.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 03:12 PM
    I am just going to randomly find links and then we can sort them out in a list under subheadings,
    is that ok with you Clough?
    Let's both find sites, thoroughly check them out, and compare notes as to what we might want to put on the Art forum topic area as far as threads that might also become stickies.

We can both make recommendations for subheadings in the forum topic areas. But, I think that it will be some time before we'll be able to do that. Need to gather A LOT of information about threads concerning the forum topic areas first!

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 03:14 PM
    I will check out every site to which you've posted a link, firmy! Might not happen all at once, though. This is a project that might take a bit of time...

Remember when I put the Index together?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 03:28 PM
    I have to go now, firmy. Will return after about five hours. Please change your "skin". You'll be able to see more things!

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2009, 03:28 PM
    Thank you Clough for working so hard on making these threads in the Art section.

I am sure it is time consuming to research every link.
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 03:33 PM
    Tried changing skins,still can't see your PM Clough. :(
    It wasn't a private message but something that should be visible to all, using a certain "skin". It should also be available for you to see.

I would suggest just clicking on your profile under your name in a post rather than going to My Profile.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2009, 03:39 PM

Doesn't work.
    When I click to open the message, it takes me to my own profile and there is nothing new I noticed there.

See you later then, hopefully I will get this sorted out sometime soon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is artwork ? [ 1 Answers ]

What is artwork referred in advertising

How much does or could my artwork be worth? [ 4 Answers ]

Okay bare with me here I'm only 15. But I have high hopes and I'm hoping to bring the world new intresting and unexplored topics. This is a painting I had done (its nothing out of the ordinary, I usually create strange unusual creatures which have background stories and such that fit into my...

Value of artwork? [ 2 Answers ]

I have an etching from the Paris Etching Society. It is a stream with an old mill or waterwheel. It is signed Pierre and the Title is hard to read. It is either Mortin or Moutin. It is numbered 203. Can you also tell me anything about this? Thanks.

Artwork authenticity [ 5 Answers ]

I just purchased a piece of artwork by Picasso. How can I authenicate it? :confused: There is no signature, no number... only a date. I have found the same piece on the web as a print, but this is not a print... it is done on something that looks like pressboard. The pastels are totally intact,...

Some of my artwork [ 35 Answers ]

Hope this works?? Here is some of my artwork. The Man standing beside horse and cart was done in acrylics The Desert Girl (girl from Nat'l geographic cover) done is oils The mother and baby is my daughter-in-law and my grandson -- painting in oils The Cannon I built about 12 years ago -...

View more questions Search