Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LLmooleyJ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2009, 04:57 PM
    92 civic replaced parts still no start
    I have a 92 honda civic dx,I have replaced the fuel pump,relay,and distributer cap in that order,every time I replaced a part it ran for about a week,last time didn't seem to have spark thus the distributer,worked for a week again and now just cranks once again.no hint that it may need gas ,tank is full never slightly catches like I need to give it gas ,just cranks.I don't want to just keep replacing parts for it just to not start in a week,and the question is coming before I replace the ecu,not looking forward to that expense.any advice will be appreciated,please don't post if its guess work I've had enough of that thanks
    cadee884 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2009, 06:56 PM

Sounds like you've done everything but replaceing the fuel pump and/or the coil. Time to get a new car or bite the bullet and find a good mechanic.
    infoguy Posts: 108, Reputation: 8

Jul 12, 2011, 07:52 AM

cadee884, I think you must have missed (or just skimmed over) the opening statement by LLmooleyj. The statement was, "i have replaced the fuel pump, relay, and distributer cap in that order", with my corrective spaces added after the two commas. So, we must conclude that the fuel pump is new, or at least replaced. My first inclination would be to check the valve timing in this situaton, but a faster method to verify that would be to spray a SMALL amount (perhaps a one second burst) of starting fluid into the intake hose, while it is removed at the air filter end only. If the problem is fuel delivery, the engine should start momentarily, but then quit again. But be cautious about the amount used! Too much starting fluid can destroy an engine! I have seen it happen. If the engine fires at all under those conditions, there is a whole lot of stuff working properly, and the ignition system and valve timing are both probably OK, as well as heads, pistons, valve train, camshaft, valve lifters, etc. What that procedure WON'T check is the fuel delivery components, including the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, fuel filter, fuel lines, fuel injectors and all their associated wiring because the starting fluid bypasses all that. But at least the procedure will narrow down the defect possibilities.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Must this 1992 Honda Civic ECU / ECM be replaced? [ 8 Answers ]

1992 Honda Civic LX (AT) My engine fails to start. The starter motor cranks and the fan turns on (the one beside the radiator, not the one on it) when the key is in the ON position. The check engine light, along with the battery and oil lights come on and stay on when key is in ON position. I...

DH replaced shower/bath DIVERTER w_ all new parts- STILL doesn't work! [ 10 Answers ]

SITUATION: We have 2 houses that both have the SAME shower/bath diverter problem. (Houses differ in age and water pressure so I seriously doubt it's 'their' problem.) My husband replaced the diverters with all new parts in each of the houses... :confused: WHY are we still getting water...

No water from ball faucet.just replaced parts! [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all! I am at my wit's end. For the past year my kitchen ball Peerless faucet has had issues. It started with having to manipulate the handle several different ways to get the water to flow. Jerk it, slam it , etc. That finally no longer worked but it had a steady drip. Sometimes after trying...

91 Honda civic just replaced alternator but light pulse? [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced the alternator on my 91 Civic DX a couple of days ago after the battery light stayed on and although I haven't had any charging problems anymore I noticed that all the lights are pulsating at low rpm or when at a low speed (dash,head and interior lights) was wondering if anybody has...

95 civic main relay replaced; ran initially now not running again [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 95 Civic, engine turns but won’t start. Initially CEL remained on and fuel pump was not heard. Car sat and a few days later started, fuel pump was heard, and CEL did not stay on. Next day the car did not start as before and decision was made to replace the main relay. Car...

View more questions Search