Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lillib123 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2009, 03:33 PM
    Distance and displacement
    While john is traveling along a straight interstate highway, he notices that the mile marker reads 252km. He travels until he reaches the 149km marker and then retraces his path to the 168km marker. What is his dispacement? How far has he traveled?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2009, 02:47 AM

What do you understand to be the difference between distance and displacement?

Sep 18, 2009, 04:26 AM

I know what distance and displacement are, and I'm 99.9% sure I got this question right, but for my physics class we have to submit our answers online and it keeps marking me wrong for this one. I just want to see someone else's answer so that I know it's not just me making a mistake.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 18, 2009, 05:51 AM

Quote Originally Posted by lillib123 View Post
    I know what distance and displacement are, and I'm 99.9% sure I got this question right, but for my physics class we have to submit our answers online and it keeps marking me wrong for this one. I just want to see someone else's answer so that I know it's not just me making a mistake.

So what answers did you give that the online system saifd was wrong?

Hint: it could be that with this problem the convention is that if you travel in a direction of decreasing mile markers that your displacement is becoming more negative.

Sep 18, 2009, 09:55 AM

Ahh, thanks, the negaive displacement was the problem. I got it now. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acceleration vs Displacement [ 1 Answers ]

Just done crash cart experiment with ticker tape. Question reads, "Assuming that the acceleration is constant, then so long as we use the same time interval in each case, displacement will be proportional to acceleration. Explain why we can say that displacement is proportional to acceleration...

Single displacement [ 1 Answers ]

Um can some one help me do a single displace meant reaction for: • hydrochloric acid + iron Please:confused:

Distance and displacement [ 3 Answers ]

A car travels one fourth of a circle with radius r. find the ratio of the distance to its displacement

Critical Distance is Pipe Length or Literal Distance? [ 2 Answers ]

Is critical distance measurement based on the literal distance from a trap to the vent stack, or the total length pipe from the trap to the vent? In other words, if the trap is 4 feet from the vent, but the drain pipe from the trap to the branch that has the vent connected to it is 10 feet, is the...

Double Displacement and such [ 1 Answers ]

LiOH(aq) + Fe(NO3)3(aq) ? Al(s) + O2(g) ? Pb(s) + ZnCl2(s) ? Rb(s) + Zn(NO3)2(aq) ? Rb(s) + Zn(NO3)2(aq) Any help would be appreciated

View more questions Search