Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joeyboot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2009, 10:29 AM
    Winterize an A/C unit ?
    Winter is coming; should the A/C unit outside the house be covered in the off season ( my neighbor says yes ) or left uncovered ( my gut feel )? Thanks
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 17, 2009, 02:45 PM
    It is a toss up. By allowing the unit to be uncovered you can allow leaves and other debris to find there way into the unit etc. If you cover the unit completely you can trap moisture inside the unit and that can cause rust and corrosion. It can also cause a problem if you forget to uncover the outside A/C unit when you start using it in the Spring as some people do forget this. My solution has always been to just cover the top of the A/C unit. This prevents dirt and debris from entering to unit but allows the air to circulate thus preventing the rust and corrosion. In my case a spare plastic garbage can lid along with a heavy brick to keep it in place works well. Just remember to remove the brick and the lid before using the unit.

NOTE all bets are off if you have a heat pump since we all know you cannot cover a heat pump in the winter if you plan on using it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is instaling a 22 freon unit the same as installing a new410 freaon unit [ 5 Answers ]

Is installing a 410freon unit the same as installing a 22 freon unit or is it difrent

Can I connect new outside unit to older inside unit for a heat pump? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a heatpump system. The outside unit is very old and is different manufacturer than the newer (9yr old) inside unit. Outside unit has gone bad. Can I connect a new TRANE Outside unit with SEER of 13 to my 9 year old TRANE inside unit with SEER of 10 which still seems to be working...

Rheem-heat-pump-outside-unit-humming but blower unit working [ 3 Answers ]

I have a heat pump and ac unit outside. The inside blower fan still working but the outside unit humming. Are there any quick fixes here

Do I have to drain hot water tank to winterize? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a cottage in Michigan and LP gas is very expensive to heat the cottage all winter, but I do go up now and then to cross country ski. So, I was thinking of buying a phone control to turn the heat on the cottage a day or two before I go up. I would drain the water lines, put RV...

View more questions Search