Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2009, 07:03 AM
    Hispanic speech patterns.
    One of my characters is Hispanic, now living in California, and I'd like her speech to reflect that. Are there are word uses or turns of phrase which she might use occcasionally to flavour her speech without being too heavy handed?

She speaks perfectly good English so I don't want to use any Spanish words, but if there were the occasion phrase that a Hispanic woman would use, that would be very helpful.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2009, 01:54 PM
    Hi, Eileen G!

So, do you mean that you're looking for phrases that a Hispanic person might use in English that would be idiomatic to the Spanish dialectic?

Also, what do you mean by "character", please?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2009, 02:25 PM

I'm writing a novel. One of the main characters in it is married to a Hispanic woman. I want her to have a distinct voice in dialogue, without going overboard. In fact, I haven't specifically mentioned that she is Hispanic, I'd like her speech pattern to hint at it, but keeping it subtle.

To my ear, she sounds too much like her husband when she talks.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2009, 02:40 PM

Well, I'm Hispanic and I live in California. I wouldn't say that there's any specific English phrases me or any other Hispanic women that I can think of (or maybe I've just become oblivious to it?). Even Hispanic people with perfect american English will sometimes throw in Spanish. Maybe the most subtle way would be to have her use terms of endearment in Spanish. My family, and older Hispanic generations often will call me "mi hija", my cousin was always "nena" (I never did learn how to put the little ~ above letters on the computer... ). I know you said you don't want to use any Spanish words but I really can't think of any other way to show her culture.
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2009, 03:06 PM

Thanks. You are probably oblivious to it. I speak English all the time, but I occasionally use a turn of phrase that is extremely Irish, and only become aware of it when non-Irish readers go "Huh?"

Do Hispanic women swear much? Say if they are in labour?

Oh, and would many of them have home births?
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2009, 03:08 PM

I don't have children yet and I've never been in the delivery room either. But I would bet that like women of any other culture, there are some that do and some that don't.
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2009, 10:17 AM

Well, unless there is a cultural bias against it, my character is going to have a home birth. Delivery rooms being horrible places.
    Crybaby9112001 Posts: 83, Reputation: 4

Sep 24, 2009, 09:14 PM
    Hmmm I'm hispanic and I lived in California from the day I was born until I turned 19. And you know it is hard to described a chicana(cause that's what she is right) without mentioning spanish. I speak perfect english without any accent being it was my first language. I didn't learn spanish until I was 13. So I guess you should think about her background before you decide she won't speak spanish. Spanish has a lot of passion and emotion when spoken and it is what defines us when we do speak it. When I didn't understand spanish I felt out of place especially in California where are a lot of latinos. Sorry I'm rambling. Lol just thought I put in my say and let you know how I felt. Good luck with your book. And id love to read it when its done. Hope you can let us know its release date!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 01:39 AM
    Hi, All!

So, are there any phrases in English that might be idiomatic to the Hispanic or Spanish language?

Thanks!
    YoungHyperLink Posts: 152, Reputation: 13

Sep 25, 2009, 04:29 PM

Hello,
    One thing you might try is to get a Spanish conversation translated as literally as possible without being grammatically incorrect in English, one in which the characters are similar to yours.
    I noticed in Crybaby9112001's post that she said, "being it was my first language," which is probably a reflexive equivalent of "siendo que era mi primer idioma." "Siendo que" is a common Spanish expression, kind of like "since..."
    Anyway, if you find that kind of conversation, I'd be glad to do that kind of translation for free in the Languages section. This sounds interesting.
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2009, 03:54 PM

Yes, what I am really after is a couple of cases where she can use English in a way that makes the knowledgeable reader aware she's Spanish, without hitting anyone over the head with it. I haven't described the ethnicity of any other characters, the clues are there in the story.
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2009, 10:10 PM

I can't think of any case. Honestly. Have you ever been to California? I've lived here all my life. Most people don't even know that I'm half hispanic. I speak english. I can speak a little spanish. I can understand much more than I speak. I grew up around all of my hispanic relatives. I work with a number of hispanics. The only thing that I can think of is sometimes the way things are pronounced. But that's difficult to describe in writing. It's not so much the phrases used as the way things are pronounced.

I wish you could come to California. There's so many hispanic people here that you wouldn't even know were hispanic unless you asked. Or you would only know because of their skin and hair colors. You have to remember that California has always had hispanics. You can see it everywhere. Our cities: los angeles, san jose, san juan batista. Our street names, sooo many of them borrow spanish. Most everywhere I go has signs in english and in spanish. It's not like they're some tiny little minority. Even people who have absolutely no hispanic background here speak spanish, they use spanglish every day. It's not at all uncommon to meet people who can speak perfect spanish and perfect english. And you would never even know it, until you hear them speak each language.
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2009, 10:16 PM

If she didn't have to speak perfect english it would probably be easier.
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2009, 02:12 PM

I'd love to visit California, but that's not going to happen, so I've got to do it all long distance.

It's not a big deal, I'd just like to give her a slight Spanish accent, but no more.

Sep 29, 2009, 06:38 PM

Try adding a "yes" or "no" that begs agreement at the end of a question. That's very common in Spanish: "Son demasiado jòvenes, ¿no?" (They're too young, don't you think?) or, "Deja ese escandalo, ¿sì?" (Stop that racket, won't you?)

I know what you mean, I just don't have a very good recall for that kind of thing. There is even quite a difference between the good English of a Hispanic English student and the "chicano" English; I've noticed it but unfortunately can't think of some good examples at the moment.
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2009, 08:07 AM

Thanks, that's just the sort of thing I was looking for. And it's easy to add to the stuff I've already written. She's had her home birth!
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2009, 08:56 AM

So is she someone who just moved from a spanish speaking country?
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2009, 02:53 PM

No, she's lived in California all her life. Moved to San Diego when her husband got transferred there (he's a bank clerk). Has a young daughter, and just given birth to a son at home.
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2009, 11:56 PM

That's how Hispanics that have moved here more recently or grew up speaking mostly Spanish until they were older speak. Like, my aunts that can hardly speak English and my grandparents. The little bit of English they speak is like that. I don't know anyone that has grown up here and speaks perfect english that speaks like that. Fyi.

Oct 1, 2009, 08:57 AM

It depends sometimes on how strong the family influence was, doesn't it? Some people try right away to absorb and adopt everything they can from the new culture so they can blend in as much as possible; some have strong family ties and nationalism, and are less likely to care how much their background shows through.

Either way, the second generation of Hispanics, even those who have assimilated the American culture much more, is still marked by mannerisms in speaking, gestures, etc. Good thing, too! What a boring world we would live in with no heritage!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What color hair for hispanic? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm hispanic with dark brown skin and hazel eye... my hair color at the moment is black with a llight brownish color underneath... I want to lighten my hair but I don't know what will look good with my complextion and I don't want to do anything to crazy... any suggestions?

Sewing and patterns [ 1 Answers ]

I am a long time sewer and have recently decided to start my own clothing line for kids. I am making my own patterns but don't know how to decide on the fabrics. Does anyone have suggestions?

What is this hispanic fruit? [ 5 Answers ]

I saw something in a hispanic food market I can't find in any tropical fruit listing. It's a huge oblong brown fruit that is hard as a rock, with a slightly rough skin. It was not a cocoa pod, jackfruit, durian or coconut. Any ideas? Len

Scholarships/aid for hispanic student [ 2 Answers ]

I am puerto rican and live in us and do not qualify for financial aid because they say that my parents and I make too much money for me to get grants and I'm too young to file independent, I still live under my parents roof but I have bills to pay and with what I make it's hard to stretch full time...

Is Brian Kilmeade Hispanic? [ 2 Answers ]

He anchors along with Steve Doocy (l.), and female anchor E.D. Hill on the early morning Fox News program on TV.

View more questions Search