Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1miner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2004, 01:19 PM
    Dog not eating II
    My 11 year old lab has kidney disease (just home from the vet) and she doesn't show any interest in the special kibble food he prescribed (low protein). Any ideas on what she could be fed that would not be harmful to her or make her more interested? She did eat some scrambled eggs with gusto.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2004, 07:52 PM
    Dog not eating II
    If her kidneys need a low protean diet, the eggs will be a problem. You might try adding a little fat to the kibble. Scraps from cooking should do it, or even a little cooking oil. Be very careful, as this adds calories. You may need to wait her out. Most dogs can go a day or 2 without eating. Just offer her the food and take away what she doesn't eat in 15 minutes. Do the same at the next meal. Keep it up. This will not be easy for you. Chances are, she is a little on the heavy side. She should start eating before hurting her self.

Here is an excellent guide on maintaining a lean healthy dog, http://www.purina.com/dogs/nutrition.asp?article=292.
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Jan 17, 2005, 10:40 PM
    Try coconut oil in the food
    A little coconut oil mixed in the food should make it much more palatable to the dog. I would avoid cooking oil as it is loaded w/unhealthy fats. Also recommend doing a search on the net regarding the health benefits of coconut oil. Buy mine from Whole Foods which is an organic healthy grocery store. Been giving a little to my dog and putting it on baked potatoes instead of butter, etc. You might want to try since it won't hurt anything and will supply a necessary fat that is needed by both man and animal alike.
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2005, 02:21 PM
    Coconut oil is a saturated fat having none of the unsaturated fatty acids dog need. Most liquid cooking oils contain corn or soybean oil which have the unsaturated fatty acids dogs need for their skin and coats. Coconut oil contains only empty calories, good for neither man nor beast. It is a common component of junk food. No authority reccommends it for people or dogs.
    tiger_3leg Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Jan 18, 2005, 05:26 PM
    Sometimes you have to go with "tough love." A dog will not starve itself if there is food available. It's hard to find foods to intise a dog with kidney problems to eat. I have a dog with kidney problems, too, so I know how hard it is. She doesn't like the kidney diet that I have her on much, but she will eat it once she's hungry enough - and she's not skinny or starving!
    So, put his(her) food out and leave it out for him. He'll get to it when he's ready. Just make sure he's drinking plenty of water!! A dog with kidney issues can go downhill quickly if it gets dehydrated.
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Jan 23, 2005, 10:23 PM
    Coconut Oil
    Here are 2 sites to visit that explain the health benefits of coconut oil. http://www.coconut-connections.com at this site click on Lauric acid then scroll down click on The Healing Miracles of Coconut Oil by Dr. Bruce Fife. The other is http://www.naturalhealthweb.com then click on The Health Benefits of Virgin Coconut Oil by Maggie VandenBrekel. The first site coconut connections will give anyone all the information regarding coconut oil-even those who bury their heads in the sand.
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2005, 09:00 AM
    You can find whatever information you want on some kooky website somewhere. The AAFCO does not list coconut oil or lauric acid as essential nutrients for dogs, but does list unsaturated fats, the kind commonly found liquid cooking oils. Coconut oil only contains 2% unsaturated linolec fatty acid as compared to the 54% in corn oil. Coconut oil is rich in calories, but a very poor source of the fatty acids dogs need to maintain a healthy skin and coat.

Like other natural oils, coconut oil is used in paint, but due to its minimal unsaturation, melamines or something must be added as a curing agent.
    purplecleome123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2005, 11:01 AM
    Hydrologized/Bleached/Oxygenated?
    Hi Labman,

I have to agree with ladyandjan. Here is a pretty normal site that will give you the same sort of info:

http://www.diagnose-me.com/treat/T22114.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog not eating [ 1 Answers ]

My dog has been sick for several weeks now. I took her to the vet a couple of weeks ago because she was not eating and would gag every time she did. On the way to vet she threw up a dead animal. It was raw meat, fur and claws. It really made me sick. I think it was a rabbit she had killed. ...

Eating [ 8 Answers ]

OK I have 2 problems, First my mom used to put people food in our two four year old Bichons when they wouldn't eat. She also hand fed them and gave them people food at and away from the dinner table a lot. Recently I have been training them to stop begging and there is no more table food. ...

Eating [ 16 Answers ]

Hi today I went to school and had like some crisps from one of my mates because I was hungry - that was at break - then at lunch I wasn't hungry at all. I haven't eaten since Tuesday night because yesterday I was just not hungry and then at dinner/tea etc time I had pizza but it made me feel sick...

Dog Not Eating [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 10 month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, he is a picky eater, we feed him chicken with veggies and white rice. He is spoiled and given table scraps sometimes. Lately he has refused even the table food and only eats some when he is hand fed, then walks away. However, he has energy and...

Not Eating [ 3 Answers ]

I got my dog recentlyfrom a firend who can't keep him anymore and its said its half shitzou and half something else but not sure. When I first got it it ate everything we fed it human food dog food. But yesturday the ENTIRE day he ate absolutely NOTHING at all! Now I hear her stomach growling and...

View more questions Search